Author Topic: Bonneville weather  (Read 33353 times)

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
Re: Bonneville weather
« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2014, 03:57:11 PM »
Something Doc and I discussed regarding Gairdner was the tides and the effect the moon has on large bodies of standing water.  Both Gairdner and Bonneville are floating on water and silt.

A Gairdner local pointed out to Doc that on the perimeter of Gairdner, one can see high water marks as the water lifts and drops the salt.

On August 10th, the full moon was the closest it would be to the earth all year in the Northern Hemisphere.  I'm thinking the extra water being worked upon by the gravitational pull of the moon may well have had the effect of moving and cracking the salt surface, causing the pot holes, and bringing the silt to the surface.

Just throwing it out there.  I understand the DLRA now avoids booking their event during periods of a full moon.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Online Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2014, 04:03:21 PM »
I haven't yet heard anything from Gary Wilkinson and Jim Burkdoll - who are at the salt today for their on-hand in person inspection and forecast of what's going to be doable.  I'll be ready for them to contact me to give me the story for all of you.  See?  I've learned to wait and listen. :-)

Late edit:  I just saw Monte's post about the Gary and Jim expedition.  It's on the "World of Speed" topic.  Go take a read.  It looks like it'll be possible to run, if not on all four SCTA courses - at least the two that USFRA uses. :cheers: :cheers:
« Last Edit: August 16, 2014, 04:05:37 PM by Seldom Seen Slim »
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2014, 06:34:43 PM »
Something Doc and I discussed regarding Gairdner was the tides and the effect the moon has on large bodies of standing water.  Both Gairdner and Bonneville are floating on water and silt.

A Gairdner local pointed out to Doc that on the perimeter of Gairdner, one can see high water marks as the water lifts and drops the salt.

On August 10th, the full moon was the closest it would be to the earth all year in the Northern Hemisphere.  I'm thinking the extra water being worked upon by the gravitational pull of the moon may well have had the effect of moving and cracking the salt surface, causing the pot holes, and bringing the silt to the surface.

Just throwing it out there.  I understand the DLRA now avoids booking their event during periods of a full moon.

I know that there has been a lot of discussion on this with DLRA and they might base meet dates on the moon but I just can't believe the water that was on the salt was sufficient to be effected by the moon.  Most 'experts' don't even think that there are tides in the Great Lakes but...

However, there is some disagreement on the subject. According to the Canadian Hydrologic/Hydrographic Service, the Great Lakes experience tides from 1 to 4 cm, the strongest being on Lakes Superior and Erie. ( http://www.great-lakes.net/teach/chat/answers/100100_tides.html )

So even if the largest of the Great Lakes can have a maximum tide of 4 cm (1.6 inches) then I'd think the small amount of water on the salt couldn't have a measurable tide at all.  Now wind is a very different animal and come into play there all the time like it does in areas that also experience tides,

Sum

Offline rlague

« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2014, 10:23:15 AM »
Any new reports on weather and salt conditions?

How do things look for the Bonneville Motorcycle Speed trials?

Is anyone up there at this time doing course prep?

THANKS
IGNITION3  Productions
WORLD'S FASTEST MOTORCYCLE DVD/TV Show 
WORLD'S FASTEST MOTORCYCLE - BOOK
ACK ATTACK - RECORD BREAKING MOTORCYCLE - BOOK
ISDE DVD series
www.worldsfastestmotorcycle.tv
www.ignition3.tv
www.isde.tv

Offline hotrod

• Black Horse photo
« Reply #34 on: August 20, 2014, 10:30:48 AM »
Current forecast calls for 20%-30% chance of showers through Saturday.
Too early in the day to say much about today's chances.
Last I heard they had 8 miles on the international course dry enough for runs and USFRA figured they would have good courses 2 and 3 to run WOS.
I have not seen any recent updates though.

Offline glc311

• Road Runners (SCTA)
« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2014, 01:23:27 PM »
Current forecast calls for 20%-30% chance of showers through Saturday.
Too early in the day to say much about today's chances.
Last I heard they had 8 miles on the international course dry enough for runs and USFRA figured they would have good courses 2 and 3 to run WOS.
I have not seen any recent updates though.

That means there is a 70-80% chance it won't rain!!!!!!!!  :-D

Offline edinlr

« Reply #36 on: August 20, 2014, 05:30:36 PM »
The latest Wendover forecast calls for 20% on Friday and 40% on Saturday.  Next week looks nice and dry though.
Honda CX650 turbo, Kawasaki H2 Ninja, Kawasaki ZX750 turbo

Offline jww36

« Reply #37 on: August 20, 2014, 07:25:02 PM »
Looks like the salt flats and mountains to the West are getting hit with rain at 4:15 PST.

Blue

« Reply #38 on: August 21, 2014, 12:52:30 AM »
Heavy T-storms all along the Wasatch tonight.  Inch/hour here right now.

Online Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #39 on: August 21, 2014, 08:40:09 AM »
Has anybody else taken a look at Wendover weather this morning?  The radar shows what looks one heck of a lot like rain over the race track area.  Maybe your radar shows something a little more favorable. :?
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Jessechop

« Reply #40 on: August 21, 2014, 08:53:09 AM »
Has anybody else taken a look at Wendover weather this morning?  The radar shows what looks one heck of a lot like rain over the race track area.  Maybe your radar shows something a little more favorable. :?

Afraid not, :cry:

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #41 on: August 21, 2014, 09:08:20 AM »
The Utah DOT camera at mileage marker 11.8 ( I80 Liveview WB @ Milepost 11.8 TE ) shows clouds over the salt and water on the camera, but currently, a beautiful sunrise.

http://udottraffic.utah.gov/

« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 09:12:25 AM by Milwaukee Midget »
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline BSTER

« Reply #42 on: August 21, 2014, 10:08:31 AM »
I was just looking at the radar over the track.  It sure looked like it was raining.  Better now than later I guess.

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #43 on: August 21, 2014, 11:15:27 AM »
Unless you're there, now.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline hotrod

• Black Horse photo
« Reply #44 on: August 21, 2014, 11:56:46 AM »
One hour storm total radar is currently showing a "trace" of rainfall over the track area. Lots of clouds on radar does not necessarily translate to rain.
A trace is less than 0.1 inch. ie just a very light occasional sprinkle or intermittent spitting not a steady rainfall.

So far so good hope it clears. Forecast calls for 40% chance of rain this afternoon, so only time will tell how things shake out.