Author Topic: Bonneville weather  (Read 33427 times)

Offline Stan Back

Re: Bonneville weather
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2014, 04:12:49 PM »
Over the years, it seems to me that the amount of time for the water to dissipate is more reliant on conditions (wind and heat) than time.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2014, 05:11:22 PM »
You guys are gonna worry yourselves to death!

Go play with your grand kids and see what The report on Saturday says! ;-)
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Offline hotrod

• Black Horse photo
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2014, 08:28:14 PM »
No worry just info for those who want a quick summary.

Radar is showing light rain on the race course area right now. About 0.1 inches in the last hour from this storm system.
Much heavier rain to the south though.

Offline dw230

« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2014, 08:59:22 PM »
Another thing to consider is that as of last Saturday there was NO salt under the water. When we drove out there were pot holes and standing slimey mud. You could not see salt under the shallowest of water levels. The mud layer was difficult to stand on and pushing anything resulted in loss of grip.

The pot holes developed over the few days we were there. On Wednesday not too bad, by Saturday rough enough to vibrate stuff loose.
DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2014, 09:51:47 PM »
Sounds like we could possibly be done for this year?
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2014, 10:08:26 PM »
The water in the pits was dirty enough that we couldn't see through it.  Pork Pie and I were shuffling around with bare feet, trying to find the pair of wheel chocks that had been under the trailer wheels when we left it in the pits Wednesday.  We never did find them.

But we did find lots of cones, both erect and tipped over.  And they all had a layer of silt on the on the horizontal surfaces that had been submerged.  I wonder how the silt got up and above the salt - - but it sure did.  As we were driving in and out there we could see a few places where the water was clear enough to see through - and it looked like salt down below the waterline there.  We didn't stop to inspect.

So - as for there being no salt I can't comment very well, but even if the water is completely dried in time for racing - - - I wonder how the silt is going to effect the courses?  Will Bonneville have dust like El Mirage?  What can I say but - Stay Tuned. :?
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Old Scrambler

• Going Fast - Slowly
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2014, 10:25:02 PM »
I'm thinking your feet and tires acted like giant swizzle-sticks..............making salt brine.  With a solid week of sun and mild breezes...........maybe, just maybe the BMST crew could begin to prepare the courses on Friday or Saturday.  I'm hoping and praying for it to happen........even with a day's delay.
2011 AMA Record - 250cc M-PG TRIUMPH Tiger Cub - 82.5 mph
2013 AMA Record - 250cc MPS-PG TRIUMPH Tiger Cub - 88.7 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc M-CG HONDA CB750 sohc - 136.6 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc MPS-CG HONDA CB750 sohc - 143.005 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc M-CF HONDA CB750 sohc - 139.85 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc MPS-CF HONDA CB750 sohc - 144.2025 mph

Chassis Builder / Tuner: Dave Murre

Offline dw230

« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2014, 07:45:16 PM »
Slim,

If you had slowed down some on your trips to and from the pits you would have noticed the increasing number of pot holes both on and adjacent to the #1 course. Did you notice the algae growing in the pot holes on Saturday?

DW

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2014, 09:08:58 PM »
Dan, I didn't think that my zooming speed of 12 - 15 mph was all that fast.  I admit to not having stopped very many places to check the condition of the underwater surface.  I went as slow as I did because I had been informed about the danger of creating potholes and other damage to the salt surface.

As for the salty water making it difficult to see (which Old Scrambler might be implying) - out by the pits the water was uniformly dirty and cloudy no matter if it had been driven or walked through.  I commented on that, and how there was a think layer of the silt.  That layer wouldn't have been so thick if had been stirred up.  And when PP and I went "looking" for my wheel chocks we didn't find any potholes.  That was the only place where I was out of the truck to see the salt underneath.  As we drove I didn't find much in the way of potholes -- and we took different routes to and from Land's End each time -- according to my GPS.  i didn't want to cause any unnecessary damage to the salt.

I sure do wish I hadn't parked the trailer out there when I did.  Now not only did I (probably) damage the salt, but I also have to spend quite a bit more time and effort to clean the trailer and truck brakes. :-D
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2014, 09:20:52 PM »
In truth, not that many people (as if there were an actual meet) transversed the salt.  But it was damaged.  Everywhere we went for a short time, we found it damaged.  Couldn't have been that much traffic after it was submerged.  Maybe it's self-healing.   If so, I wanna get a Sunday morning TV program and offer nature's self-healing to everyone -- if they take my tours.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2014, 09:28:01 PM »
In truth, not that many people (as if there were an actual meet) transversed the salt. 

Really?

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline dw230

« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2014, 09:36:42 PM »
I don't think that is a 2014 photo Mike. I never saw the RB cars out of the NUgget parking lot.

DW

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2014, 09:44:48 PM »
That's very possible, Dan, although I received it this morning from a "usually reliable source" who was forwarding it along.

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2014, 10:05:57 PM »
Wow, better take that one apart when he gets home. There won't be nothing left if it if he does not.

BR
ECTA    Maxton D/CGALT  Record Holder 167.522
ECTA    Maxton D/CBGALT Record Holder 166.715

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2014, 01:06:55 PM »
Some other people and I watched a big Dodge pickup with a pushbar plowing it's way at a good clip for miles out on the lake on Monday just before sunset. I figured they wouldn't be doing the surface any good but consoled myself that the damage to the surface would have been equalled by the damage to the truck. They had a bow-wave above roof height they were going so hard......seemed brainless to me.

But what would I know. :roll:
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.