Author Topic: absolute beginner...  (Read 4019 times)

Offline lorenzoburatti

• New folks
absolute beginner...
« on: August 12, 2014, 06:22:18 AM »
Hi at all Bonneville freaks :-)
i'm from Italy and i'd like to get there with a 250cc motorbike two stroke, maybe a single cylinder engine and a dirt bike frame, at the moment i'm triyng to understand the SCTA rulebook but there are so many rules.
please someone would be so kind to explain to me a little about the right class i can enter if i'm starting from a two stroke dirt bike? just to focus on that and find a way of preparation to follow...
any help would be appreciated, so many thanks!

big cheers from Italy
Lorenzo

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
Re: absolute beginner...
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2014, 10:01:04 AM »
Welcome to our "Addiction"

As a non biker who helped 2 friends race a bike for 3 years---it is all about the rule book and the subtleties between the frames that makes for a different class.  STUDY, STUDY, STUDY the rule book---look up the records of the various combos---might even be open---some do not like to run on open records, didn't bother Joey, Russ was running on a 12 year old record.

I would start by making a list of all the possible classes I could run with the various modifications needed to the frame to get there---when you understand those then start asking questions---but in the end:
 it will be you and THE that YOU BUILD and have to get here--that is the FUN!!!
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2014, 10:08:15 AM »
Lorenzo, the short answer
If it is completely showroom stock looking, as produced by the factory, with any modification hidden from view (motor internals) it is a Production bike class
If it is modified in any way that can be seen, it is Modified class
If you build a frame, of alter the frame extensively or sit below the top of the rims, then you are probably Special Construction class.

If you have specific questions we can help... but contacting the SCTA is how you would get an official answer if you are on the edge of a rule
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline SteveM

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2014, 10:12:20 AM »
I agree - if you already have a rulebook, you have set yourself on the right path.

I had one "false start" with a vehicle project before buying a rulebook.  It was for a vehicle that I knew well, had good experience with, and had a vision for an LSR application.  Fortunately, it didn't take long for me to figure out that in order to build the vehicle of my vision, I would never be competitive against the existing record, and it would cost me a fortune.

After getting a rulebook, reading it, re-reading it, re-reading it again and asking a bunch of questions, I found a class and vehicle combination where I thought I could be competitive and afford to spend the $$$ on the project.

Of course, the cost of the project blossomed, and it has not yet run on the salt, but I am ready for the next "dry spell" at Bonneville.

Steve.
1/2 of the Rampage Brothers

Jessechop

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2014, 10:45:51 AM »
Lorenzo, the short answer
If it is completely showroom stock looking, as produced by the factory, with any modification hidden from view (motor internals) it is a Production bike class
If it is modified in any way that can be seen, it is Modified class
If you build a frame, of alter the frame extensively or sit below the top of the rims, then you are probably Special Construction class.

If you have specific questions we can help... but contacting the SCTA is how you would get an official answer if you are on the edge of a rule

How does the SCTA classify factory race bikes? I started with a 250 cc dirt bike that was labeled as a factory race bike and was classified as an "A" bike, granted that was LTA.

Offline lorenzoburatti

• New folks
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2014, 11:04:42 AM »
thanks so much for this precious starting answers! i'll keep on studying and trying to be at bonneville for a short vacation in october for the world finals

Offline Old Scrambler

• Going Fast - Slowly
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2014, 09:44:08 PM »
Jessechop...............if it was not sold in the showroom...........it is usually a special construction. After-market frames are always put in special construction. From my experience, your better off to start with GOOD junk and buy the motor-parts to be competitive in the Modified classes.......at least as a beginner on a budget. :wink:
2011 AMA Record - 250cc M-PG TRIUMPH Tiger Cub - 82.5 mph
2013 AMA Record - 250cc MPS-PG TRIUMPH Tiger Cub - 88.7 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc M-CG HONDA CB750 sohc - 136.6 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc MPS-CG HONDA CB750 sohc - 143.005 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc M-CF HONDA CB750 sohc - 139.85 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc MPS-CF HONDA CB750 sohc - 144.2025 mph

Chassis Builder / Tuner: Dave Murre

Jessechop

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2014, 08:08:11 AM »
Jessechop...............if it was not sold in the showroom...........it is usually a special construction. After-market frames are always put in special construction. From my experience, your better off to start with GOOD junk and buy the motor-parts to be competitive in the Modified classes.......at least as a beginner on a budget. :wink:

Oh yes, well aware  :-D Mine was sold in the show room, but labeled "for close course competition only". Not that it matters, per LTA and ECTA rules it is a A bike. I was just wondering if SCTA was different. The bike will never run a SCTA event, it was just me being nosey.