Author Topic: Lake Bed Condition part 2  (Read 6810 times)

Offline spike

• New folks
Lake Bed Condition part 2
« on: August 11, 2014, 06:48:15 PM »
Another "fishing expidition " Just got off the a phone with my friend that has a ranch in Joshua tree that says raining like hell all day long further down the valley.Then I go to my aviation weather radar and there is a big cell parked on top of El Mirage.

Would like to get the latest info on the Lakebed in the next couple of days.I know racing is a month away on Sept 14th however looks like El Mirage might be a mess also-again due to monsoons Thanks Spike

Offline Stan Back

Re: Lake Bed Condition part 2
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2014, 07:24:10 PM »
It's best to wait for about a week before the event before you start worrying about El Mirage.  We're too far out now to even contemplate it.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Freud

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2014, 07:45:52 PM »
A lot of people worry about things that they have no reason for.

Like flying from the UK and asking if there will be rooms available

in Wendover tomorrow.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2014, 01:10:33 AM »
Sept elmo is roughly two weeks away. Any word on the condition of the lakebed?
El Mirage 200 MPH Club Member

Offline FADED

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2014, 11:32:18 AM »
Is it close enough to the event to start asking about track condition? :?

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2014, 11:39:41 AM »
If your not the first car.....then it's bad.....and the first run may be questionable at best. You either go there and run taking what it will give, spectate, or stay home. That's the only 3 options I know...
If your lucky a tail wind will come up and they will let you run and maybe the record will be yours..
I have never been that lucky. I've had to set my records into a 20 mph headwind. :-D
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline FADED

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2014, 12:37:23 PM »
If your not the first car.....then it's bad.....and the first run may be questionable at best. You either go there and run taking what it will give, spectate, or stay home. That's the only 3 options I know...
If your lucky a tail wind will come up and they will let you run and maybe the record will be yours..
I have never been that lucky. I've had to set my records into a 20 mph headwind. :-D

Let me rephrase my question since my bike is slow enough to avoid bad track conditions. Are we gonna have an event, is the track dry at this point?

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2014, 09:58:20 PM »
Yes at this time..

Offline generatorshovel

• http://www.dlra.org.au/forum/viewtopic.php?t=556
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2014, 06:07:41 AM »
Worry, a wasted emotion,,,,,,it achieves zero
But I worry pre event, like most folk do
Tiny
Tiny (in OZ)
I would prefer to make horsepower, rather than buy, or hya it, regardless of the difficulties involved , as it would then be MINE

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2014, 12:31:34 AM »
It's a dirt lake bed... its never good. I just want to make sure it's dry and open. I'll be there testing tomorrow and will report back.

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2014, 06:05:59 PM »
Lake bed is much like its been in recent times. Pretty rough on the far east end but we don't do anything over there so it doesn't matter much. Everything where we run looks acceptable. Someone was able to leave some bad ruts on the lakebed from when it was wet last. GD useless BLM. BTW, no BLM at VC when we arrived or left. I'm pretty sure they only go out there for our events so they can hold their hands out while we drive by.  Pay up suckers. Anyways, sorry for the rant. Lots of big clouds forming up over the mountains. Hopefully the weather holds out.

Offline FADED

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2014, 05:45:32 PM »
This off the SCTA facebook  :x

Attention All Participants & Spectators:

El Mirage is currently closed due to the recent rains. Scott Andrews will be going out to assess the situation on Wednesday morning. We will be receiving an update from him by 10:00 a.m.

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2014, 07:50:11 PM »
No rain was reported on the lake bed however the lake bed was closed due to a threat of rain ..   :cheers:

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2014, 04:34:50 PM »
Well, Wednesday morning has come and gone.

I checked the SCTA site -- no answer.  But it did have a CHP notice about the I-15 being closed down to one lane for all of Friday, Saturday and Sunday going north from the 138.

So, besides a marginal (I guess) course and 110ยบ+ weather and a traffic jam, October is looking a lot better.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline FADED

« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2014, 04:58:36 PM »
This off of SCTA FaceBook

El Mirage Update

SCTA Southern California Timing Association

Attention all El Mirage Participants & Spectators:

The SCTA has just finished a review of the El Mirage Lakebed and it looks dry & ready to race. In their assessment, the race is on. This is an Unofficial Notice because the BLM will be making the Official Call tomorrow...So, as soon as we hear from the BLM we will let you know their Official Decision.