Author Topic: World of Speed 2014  (Read 87374 times)

Offline USFRAMONTE

Re: World of Speed 2014
« Reply #45 on: August 25, 2014, 10:58:05 PM »
Just to clarify and put to rest any rumors out there.  The official schedule for World of Speed 2014 is as follows.  We will start
running vehicles on Saturday September 6th and run through Tuesday September 9th. The pits will open Thursday September
4th at noon and tech inspection will start soon after.

Offline nickleone

« Reply #46 on: August 27, 2014, 02:31:10 PM »
Coming to spectate.  Does anyone know the condition at the Bend of the road for camping?

Nick

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #47 on: August 27, 2014, 03:14:15 PM »
I added more text and still got: "You already submitted this post! You might have accidently double clicked, or tried to refresh."

I added the text in color and renamed the photo and still got this:

"You already submitted this post! You might have accidently double clicked, or tried to refresh. "

"Sorry! There is already an attachment with the same filename as the one you tried to upload. Please rename the file and try again."

This is ridiculous-- it was posted in another topic 3 years ago!

Nick;

The camp site at the Museum is a safer option-- it has gravel and isn't a mudhole when it rains like the campsite at The Bend In The Road..

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #48 on: August 27, 2014, 03:20:14 PM »

Nick;

The camp site at the Museum is a safer option-- it has gravel and isn't a mudhole when it rains like the campsite at The Bend In The Road..

True - but will Mike Crawford make it available for WOS?  :roll:
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #49 on: August 27, 2014, 03:21:54 PM »
Neil, I'm sorry to report that the software for the Forum is about the best we can find for the purpose.  And the memory is such that something from three years ago is just in another folder -- but easy to find and check.  It can be a pain in the butt -- no questions.  But Bob and I have looked a couple of times and can't find a forum program that'd let us do everything else that this one does -- so we've gotta stick with it.

You're right about the Museum parking lot.  Camping on the outside of the bend, some part way up the hill, is fine, too.  For instance if you want to enjoy looking at the skies - there'll be less light pollution if you're on the hill.  As for whether Mike'll let you camp there -- I dunno.  I expect so but it probably won't hurt to stop at the Carquest store and ask him.

Caveat Emptor!
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #50 on: August 27, 2014, 04:05:17 PM »
Last try

Offline nickleone

« Reply #51 on: August 27, 2014, 04:53:59 PM »
last year I camped at the Bend and got out Sunday before the rain.
I will check out the Hill and outside the Bend.
Thanks

Nick

Offline USFRAMONTE

« Reply #52 on: August 27, 2014, 05:23:04 PM »
I have called Mike and left a message inquiring as to the availablity of the museum site for camping purposes at WOS.  I will post the answer as soon as I hear from him.
We are having a USFRA club meeting tonight. If there are any new developments that come up, I will update all of you as soon as
possible. We are still going full speed ahead with plans and preparations.

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #53 on: August 27, 2014, 06:06:37 PM »
Boy -- the USFRA sure is great at letting everyone know what's happening and when.  Works for me.  Even on this antiquated old system.  Yes, it can work.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #54 on: August 27, 2014, 06:49:19 PM »
But Stan, you saw Monte's post almost 45 minutes after he left it (2:23 vs 3:06). I get there facebook posts now.

:-P   :-D
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #55 on: August 27, 2014, 07:01:24 PM »
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #56 on: August 27, 2014, 08:47:01 PM »
Mike --

I don't know when anything happens here -- I think I'm set for Zulu time, or Hawaii Daylight or ???.  So I'm so old an non-techy I don't know what time anything happens.

But I do like that they post what's happening -- and when they'r going to look at it again.

Stan
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #57 on: August 27, 2014, 09:04:50 PM »
Stan:

Here is HERE!  That other site is there.   :mrgreen:

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline USFRAMONTE

« Reply #58 on: August 28, 2014, 10:32:48 AM »
Last night at the meeting we discussed different options for laying out the main track.  We have been very concerned that track 2
is pointed towards the dike on the north east of the salt. That only leaves about 2 miles beyond the 5 for someone to get stopped
before running into a possibly horrible situation.  We will be looking at making a new course that will start in roughly the same
location but then head straight toward floating mountain, that would leave more miles of safe run out area and be safely away from the
dike. We have surveyors scheduled to come out and we will do what ever is needed to make a certified and safe course.  The placement of the pits may end up being completely out of the norm. We will draw up a map much like we did for the test n tune and post a copy on the web site and here.
I did hear back from Mike Crawford and he says that camping at the museum site will be not only allowed but encouraged.

Offline RogerL

« Reply #59 on: August 28, 2014, 10:39:51 AM »
Thanks for the update Monte. Really like the longer course option.