Author Topic: World of Speed 2014  (Read 87318 times)

Offline USFRAMONTE

World of Speed 2014
« on: August 11, 2014, 06:36:01 PM »
Just wanted to let all of you know that the USFRA officials will be watching salt conditions very closely. We have some people who will
be going out this weekend to check conditions and then again on the 23rd of this month and at that point will do some preliminary
dragging to see what happens.
We will do what we can to accomodate as many as we can and still give everyone a chance to get the needed runs in. We will be
looking at many possible solutions. Stay tuned here and on saltflats.com for the latest official information.

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
Re: World of Speed 2014
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2014, 06:46:09 PM »
Monte, are there unlimited entries , or is there a limit on the number if entries you will accept?
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Offline RogerL

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2014, 07:21:03 PM »
Monte, There is a post on FB by Tommy Whiteman that tech is on the 4th, racing starts on the 5th. Have the dates changed? Is Whiteman a part of the USFRA? Thanks.

Offline USFRAMONTE

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2014, 07:57:37 PM »
Monte, are there unlimited entries , or is there a limit on the number if entries you will accept?
Buddy, that is one of the things we are looking at, we do not have the equipment nor manpower to run 4 courses.  Two looks to be
doable. So there is a possibility of a short course and and combo course.
Will keep you updated as things progress.

Offline USFRAMONTE

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2014, 08:02:04 PM »
Monte, There is a post on FB by Tommy Whiteman that tech is on the 4th, racing starts on the 5th. Have the dates changed? Is Whiteman a part of the USFRA? Thanks.

Roger, our chief inspectors name is Chuck Whiteman, not sure who Tommy is. Extending the meet an additional day is also one of the
thigs we have discussed.  No official word yet but that is a distinct possibility. Wish I could say more but we are still trying to sort
out all the possibilities.

Offline RogerL

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2014, 08:12:06 PM »
Thanks Monte. Tommy Whiteman just responded to a note I sent that the website is being updated. If you are a Facebooker, go to World of Speed 2014. I certainly like the idea but need to let my crew know to change the travel arrangements if it is going to happen. I am sure you guys are going to have a surge of entries as a result of Speedweek being cancelled. You have my support for an expanded meet. Really appreciate the USFRA giving it some consideration, I am sure it is not an easy decision.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2014, 08:13:48 PM »
Hey, Monte.  I sent an email to Hugh Coltharp today.  I don't know if he checks his mail often, so if you'd be so kind as to contact him to rattle his cage and give me a response I'd be beholden to you.  Thanks.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline USFRAMONTE

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2014, 08:24:55 PM »
Hey, Monte.  I sent an email to Hugh Coltharp today.  I don't know if he checks his mail often, so if you'd be so kind as to contact him to rattle his cage and give me a response I'd be beholden to you.  Thanks.
Slim, will doos it!

Offline Freud

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2014, 11:45:26 PM »
If USFRA deals with the same BLM as does Speed Week, there

may be some decisions that are out of their control. Lets

give them some time and when they know they will be happy

to tell us. This is one time that we can't be very demanding.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline SteveM

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2014, 11:03:17 AM »
I joined the "World of Speed 2014" FB page.  Firming up the start date will be extremely important from my point of view.

I can manage additions to the end of WOS pretty easily on the fly, but if the start date is moved to an earlier date, I'll need to make bigger modifications to the overall plan (vacation for myself and crew), departure date and time, etc.

I'm 100% in favor of using FB to post updates, as long as I'm confident that I'm looking at "Official" USFRA information being posted there.

Thanks,

Steve.
1/2 of the Rampage Brothers

Offline USFRAMONTE

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2014, 11:33:31 AM »
We are aware that many of you need to make plans and adjust your schedules. We have time reserved with the BLM prior to the
scheduled race days but nothing after. If we expand the racing days it will only be possible to do so by starting on Friday the 5th.
We have the equipment to run a long/short combo course as well as expanding the 130/150 course into a standard short course.
As difficult as it is to hold off making the changes, we feel strongly that we need to inspect the salt this Saturday before making
the decisions. We trust that you understand we want to do this in the best way possible for the racers and the USFRA.

Offline USFRAMONTE

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2014, 11:42:34 AM »
I joined the "World of Speed 2014" FB page.  Firming up the start date will be extremely important from my point of view.

I can manage additions to the end of WOS pretty easily on the fly, but if the start date is moved to an earlier date, I'll need to make bigger modifications to the overall plan (vacation for myself and crew), departure date and time, etc.

I'm 100% in favor of using FB to post updates, as long as I'm confident that I'm looking at "Official" USFRA information being posted there.

Thanks,

Steve.
Steve, we are making sure that posts to the Facebook page will only be done by one of the "officials".

Offline SteveM

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2014, 01:22:28 PM »
Thank you very much on all accounts, Monty!

Salt fever is coursing through my veins, but I understand the need to exercise patience to the best of my ability.  Just ask my wife, I'm not known for my great sense of patience. :-D

Thanks again,

Steve.
1/2 of the Rampage Brothers

Offline ol38y

• When all else fails, gas it!
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2014, 10:04:36 AM »
Monte and everyone at USFRA,

Thank you for all your effort to help the salt addicts here, myself included. I'm looking forward to my first experience at WOS. I too am following the FB page for WOS 2014.

Larry
Larry Cason
Bakersfield,CA    It's a dry heat!

2010 BUB 1350 M-PG record
2012 Speedweek  1350 A-PG record 169.975
2014 El Mirage Dry Lake  1350 A-PG  172.651

Offline USFRAMONTE

« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2014, 12:38:51 PM »
We had a heck of a thunderstorm come thru Salt Lake area yesterday afternoon. I am anxious to see what the salt looks like this
Saturday. Will post info as soon as the report comes in.