Author Topic: FRAME MATERIAL  (Read 4085 times)

Offline dick elliott

FRAME MATERIAL
« on: August 03, 2006, 12:51:11 PM »
In the rules for modified sports, it clearly states that any frame can be used, and then tells you what shape tubing must be used to build this frame. Does this mean that a stock uni-body frame can not be used? If you carry this one step along, does this mean a stock Vette frame can not be used? Uni-body, stock, or tube chassis???? Which one is legal? Thanks.
Its better to be a has been, than a never was.

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
FRAME MATERIAL
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2006, 01:01:16 PM »
Are you talking about the frame only or the cage requirements or both??

c ya, Sum

Offline RichFox

FRAME MATERIAL
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2006, 02:10:06 PM »
M/S says "any frame can be used. Section 2C" Section 2C says "any frame may be used. The frame design is subject to approval" and some other stuff. Where is the part that tells you what shape material can be used?

Offline dick elliott

FRAME MATERIAL
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2006, 02:23:37 PM »
I was looking in the ECTA rule book, and it said "round tubing / square tubing / channel iron / etc / etc. It was very clear in what it stated. Any frame as long as its round or square tubing. All else must be aproved. So the question still stands as, is a tube chassis required in modified sports. If not, I'll see you on the salt with my 2.3L Ford / Mazda RX-7. Thanks again.

Offline RichFox

FRAME MATERIAL
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2006, 02:27:23 PM »
I don't know what's in the ECTA rule book, but if you show uo with a 'Vette or some unibody car at Bonneville, you can be sure your not the first one. You can get some idea of the SCTA rules on their web site by clicking "Car Competion Classes" Do you have all the SCTA saftey equiptment? RX7 is  named as a car accepted in M/S as long as it meets class requirements. I don't see any except it be safe.

LittleLiner

FRAME MATERIAL
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2006, 07:36:42 PM »
Heck I'm just one of those guys that has a big pile of parts and a lot of ideas but ain't made a run at any venue yet.  I guess I am the LSR equivalent of a "All Hat and No Cattle" cowboy.  But I have been doing my homework and spent a bunch of time reading rulebooks.  And I've been a real pain in the butt for folks in ECTA and SCTA asking questions and getting clarifications.  

So  . . . I am not speaking officially for ECTA or SCTA but I think you might be making two slight errors.  

First - don?t use the ECTA rulebook when building a car for the salt. The ECTA rules are very similar to the SCTA rules but there are differences.  Those differences exist for a variety of reasons. In most cases they are good reasons.  That said, looking at the 2004 SCTA rulebook (I really must find my current books) the words you are speaking of about tube frames are exactly the same in both the ECTA and SCTA rules for modified sports.

Second, in my opinion you appear to be reading too much into it.  I am looking at the ECTA 2005 rules (don?t have a 2006 book handy but I suspect that the words you are citing are the same this year as last) The words about tube frames are there to explain what is required for custom frames.  It does not say that production frames are excluded.  Let me repeat that. It does not say that production frames are excluded.  It just explains what is required if you are using a custom frame.  I know from attending about six ECTA events over the last three years that there are many good examples of Modified Sports Cars that are running a production chassis (Frames and Uni-body).  Examples include a few Vettes, and an RX7 with a Chev small block.

An example from Bonneville comes to mind as well.  A few years back Car and Driver Magazine?s Tony Swan entered a Honda S2000 to try to get Jack Dolan?s G/GT record.  They weren?t successful.  So to save some face they taped up the grille (hence it was no longer a legal GT car) and entered it in the G/FMS class and set a record.  Mind you they only taped up the front to make the change.  I suspect they did something to make it a legal Fuel car as well such as break the seal on the fuel cap but i really don't know.  Anyway . . They DID NOT have to install a tube frame.

Hope this unofficial rant was helpful.

Offline RichFox

FRAME MATERIAL
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2006, 09:15:49 PM »
Other than "Any frame may be used" I fail to see any referance to frame material. Of course I'm using the current rule book. Can you direct me to the section you are reading?  OK I looked at an "05 rule book and see what you are looking at. But that was then and this is now. It's really to late to get a rule book before Speed Week. Do you know anybody with one?

Offline dick elliott

FRAME MATERIAL
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2006, 07:35:54 AM »
Here's what my year old SCTA rule book says. "Any frame may be used WHICH is made of round, retangular, or square steel  tubing, not less than 2"x .120", channel not less than 4"x .120", or multi-tube frames, which have equivalent strength characteristics. The ECTA rule book says the very same thing. NOTHING about stock or uni-body frames being legal to use in the class. No other modified class has this statement that I have been able to find. I've read the above over and over, and thats what it says.

dwarner

FRAME MATERIAL
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2006, 09:14:01 AM »
Being a former MS entrant. A stock frame is not excluded from the class and custom frames are accepted.

DW

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
FRAME MATERIAL
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2006, 02:58:28 PM »
The 2006 Rule Book is pretty clear on this:

p62 "Any frame may be used, see Section 2.c."

p15 2.C "Except where specifically forbidden by class rules, any design frame may be used.  The frame design is subject to the approval of the Contest Board and must be of sufficient strength to resist flex or twist.  The burden of proof of the strength of the frame design lies with the entrant".

I think you are good to go.  Start building  :D

c ya, Sum