Author Topic: Rider accident insurance?  (Read 2073 times)

Offline Racerwrtr

• New folks
    • The Velocity Workshop
Rider accident insurance?
« on: August 06, 2014, 10:10:12 PM »
My son will be riding on my electric sidecar at the end of August and I want to get some supplemental insurance to cover him in case of accident or injury. Just need it for the week we are there. AMA has a program for racing, but the amounts of coverage are very small ( price a ride in an ambulance lately?) and it is only available for annual coverage. Anybody know of a company that provides such coverage? Land Speed Racing is statistically very safe, so for an insurance company it should be pretty easy. Just looking for medical coverage. Any ideas?
Turning Motion Into Progress

Offline Racerwrtr

• New folks
    • The Velocity Workshop
Re: Rider accident insurance?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2014, 10:52:09 PM »
Nobody with any ideas at all?

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2014, 11:17:40 PM »
I know of one motorsports insurance company that is usually in the rulebook (don't have mine with me right now to check it out).  I've talked with them about insurance in the past -- but they insure race vehicles and accessories.  I don't know about rider/driver.  I can't remember the name - but for years they've had ads in the rulebook.

For personal insurance -- well, ours did cover Nancy's injuries a couple of years ago when she crashed the bike.  We paid about $7k out of pocket - way less than the total bill.  We did not have anything in the way of special risk insurance - just run of the mill medical coverage.  Our ambulance bill was around $11k - we paid $2k, they paid the rest.  All in all -- not bad, no rate increase since then.

As for life insurance - well, not long after I started racing our life agent came visiting one day and said "Jon, Northwestern Mutual has asked me to let you know that because of your racing they're going to put a 50% additional rate on your policy because of special risks."  Crud -- the bill went up.  It turns out that it would have gone far higher if I had just let it go, but I whined and explained that this is a "speed trial", one vehicle at a time, special driver licenses, etc, etc.

The moral of the story - don't worry too much if your medical coverage does not specifically mention/disallow land speed racing.  But don't tell your life insurance agent why you head for Bville or EM or any of the events every year. :roll:
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline hotrod

• Black Horse photo
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2014, 11:49:43 PM »
Did a bit of google searching and came across this web page that mentions some "racer friendly" insurance sources.
I have no idea if they are any good but it is a starting point.

http://www.carinsurance.com/Articles/car-racing-insurance.aspx

Offline Racerwrtr

• New folks
    • The Velocity Workshop
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2014, 01:07:29 PM »
Thanks for the info. I contacted a few of the ones in the article and eventually found a place that offers 30 day temporary medical and accident insurance with coverage up to $2 million and a quite reasonable premium. The Company is Insurance Services of America and the link is temporaryinsurance.com

I am not recommending them to anyone, but it seems like the sort of coverage I was looking for for my son during the race at the end of the month. You may think otherwise-I have no connection to the company, just want to pass on the information in case you were also looking for this kind of insurance.