Author Topic: AMA RULES ?  (Read 4270 times)

Offline MARK

• New folks
AMA RULES ?
« on: August 06, 2014, 05:49:22 PM »
Is there a contact, someone to  confirm differences in vehicle rules differences AMA to BNI, etc?

Offline donpearsall

• http://soundappraisal.com
Re: AMA RULES ?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2014, 06:08:33 PM »
(you mean Bonneville Speed Trials - No more BUB. Also SCTA is the body that makes the Bonneville and El Mirage rules, not BNI )

The rules are similar but there are some important differences. I don't think anyone has posted a side by side rule comparison, but you can certainly do it yourself.
You can go to the SCTA website and buy their rule book, and download the BST rules for free at http://bonnevillespeedtrials.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/AMA-LSGC-SR-2014-v11-1.pdf

But if you have a specific question, just ask and lots of people here will be happy to answer
Don
550 hp 2003 Suzuki Hayabusa Land Speed Racer

Offline MARK

• New folks
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2014, 08:13:58 AM »
Thanks Don.
 Specifically;
 fire sleeve. Fuel hose Past the valve needs it according to AMA. Clamped to the feed hose. SCTA, ECTA, require sleeve if hose is used between the tank and valve only. Mentioned [AMA]  is Aeroquip sleeve. I like the the more flexable aluminized. Is that acceptable?
 Tires, no date concern mentioned in AMA rules. Stated is attention paid to condition. Mine are right at Ten years. Zero issues visible.
 I have been trouble free in inspection for twenty years . Never an issue but not seen AMA venue.
 Any advice graciously accepted.

Offline donpearsall

• http://soundappraisal.com
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2014, 10:18:12 AM »
On bikes that I have had inspected in past for AMA at Bonneville I have used the aluminized sleeve over stock (rubber) fuel hoses. I know the rules say something about unvalved hoses but I firesleeve all the hoses that carry fuel.

As for tires, AMA has the rider certify that the tires are safe and approprate for the speeds but does not mandate types specifically.

Don
550 hp 2003 Suzuki Hayabusa Land Speed Racer

Offline MARK

• New folks
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2014, 09:08:09 AM »
Thanks again Don.
 Delvene called to tell me tire date codes are not used AMA.
 I will use the fire sleeve full coverage with worm clamps.
 Also, I like to arrive early and will volunteer to help anyone including 'new' entrants needing something.

Offline Pippi2

• "Do or do not.... there is no try"
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2014, 05:23:48 PM »
Awesome! Thank you Mark!
Make sure you check in with my in the rego trailer so I know where to direct folks!

-Linnea
BMST Registration Coordinator

Offline Strokerface

• New folks
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2014, 06:04:22 PM »
Thanks Don.
 Specifically;
 fire sleeve. Fuel hose Past the valve needs it according to AMA. Clamped to the feed hose. SCTA, ECTA, require sleeve if hose is used between the tank and valve only. Mentioned [AMA]  is Aeroquip sleeve. I like the the more flexable aluminized. Is that acceptable?
 Tires, no date concern mentioned in AMA rules. Stated is attention paid to condition. Mine are right at Ten years. Zero issues visible.
 I have been trouble free in inspection for twenty years . Never an issue but not seen AMA venue.
 Any advice graciously accepted.

I didn't see anything in the rules about fire sleeves for fuel hoses?

Going back to look however, I did see this:
2.E. Gasoline class motorcycles shall have a fuel shut-off located
within easy reach of the rider. Fuel class motorcycles shall have a
positive fuel shut-off activated without the riders hand leaving the
handlebars.

I have a ZX-14R, stock except for pipe and dry nitrous. Is it OK with respect to the above rules? (I do have the ignition kill switch lanyard)

Offline Chris V

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2014, 07:04:38 PM »
Maybe AHG will chime in , if fuel injected I would think fuel pump cut off switch and lanyard also shut off fuel pump and ignition. On our carbureted bike I have a cable arrangement to operate fuel petcock from handlebar.  Chris
1972 Yamaha R5  350cc

Offline nrhs sales

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2014, 07:33:17 PM »
Rule 2E:

2.E.
FUEL SHUTOFF AND ENGINE KILL SWITCH
Motorcycles shall be equipped with a positive ignition off switchto terminate engine power. The riders shall be able to use the
switch without their hands leaving the handlebars. Gasoline class motorcycles shall have a fuel shut-off located
within easy reach of the rider. Fuel class motorcycles shall have a positive fuel shut-off activated without the riders hand leaving the
handlebars. In gas and fuel classes, a lanyard must connect the ignition shut-off switch to the rider. Aero/quip or equipment fire
sleeve shall be securely fastened using metallic clamping devices over all gas/fuel lines and connectors.
No plastic gas/fuel petcocks,
connectors or filters are permitted.

Offline Strokerface

• New folks
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2014, 08:57:03 PM »
Maybe AHG will chime in , if fuel injected I would think fuel pump cut off switch and lanyard also shut off fuel pump and ignition. On our carbureted bike I have a cable arrangement to operate fuel petcock from handlebar.  Chris

That's what I was thinking/hoping

Quote from: nrhs sales
Rule 2E:

2.E.
FUEL SHUTOFF AND ENGINE KILL SWITCH
Motorcycles shall be equipped with a positive ignition off switchto terminate engine power. The riders shall be able to use the
switch without their hands leaving the handlebars. Gasoline class motorcycles shall have a fuel shut-off located
within easy reach of the rider. Fuel class motorcycles shall have a positive fuel shut-off activated without the riders hand leaving the
handlebars. In gas and fuel classes, a lanyard must connect the ignition shut-off switch to the rider. Aero/quip or equipment fire
sleeve shall be securely fastened using metallic clamping devices over all gas/fuel lines and connectors. No plastic gas/fuel petcocks,
connectors or filters are permitted.

Dang those 3rd grade reading skills  :?  Where are good places to buy that stuff?

Thanks!  :cheers:

Offline Old Scrambler

• Going Fast - Slowly
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2014, 09:27:01 PM »
Most any auto-parts store will have the filters...............ebay is a good place to shop for fire-sleeve and POSITIVE safety-tether switches......P.S. think snowmobile........as in Arctic Cat.  Stay away from the units that ground the circuit.
2011 AMA Record - 250cc M-PG TRIUMPH Tiger Cub - 82.5 mph
2013 AMA Record - 250cc MPS-PG TRIUMPH Tiger Cub - 88.7 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc M-CG HONDA CB750 sohc - 136.6 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc MPS-CG HONDA CB750 sohc - 143.005 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc M-CF HONDA CB750 sohc - 139.85 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc MPS-CF HONDA CB750 sohc - 144.2025 mph

Chassis Builder / Tuner: Dave Murre

Offline Strokerface

• New folks
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2014, 11:03:10 AM »
I got Firesleeve to put over the fuel line. However, the rule also says no plastic connectors, and the OEM quick disconnect at the tank has a lot of plastic on it. Do I need to completely replace the OEM fuel line?

Also, The NOS lines are technically part of the fuel system per 2. J. but they don't carry any fuel relative to 2.E. (dry nitrous to airbox system). Do I need to Firesleeve the NOS lines?

Thanks! Jim

Offline nrhs sales

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2014, 11:08:53 AM »
we have not had fire sleeve on our nitrous lines the last 2 years and have not had any problems in tech.  Just the fuel lines.

Offline Strokerface

• New folks
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2014, 01:55:33 PM »
we have not had fire sleeve on our nitrous lines the last 2 years and have not had any problems in tech.  Just the fuel lines.

Thanks!

I'm still sweating the OEM quick disconnect at the fuel tank. Maybe I can Firesleeve and clamp over it...?

Offline nrhs sales

« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2014, 03:17:42 PM »
that one I cannot answer.  Hopefully one of the techs will chime in.