Author Topic: First Time Spectator Questions...  (Read 6060 times)

Offline AlisoBob

• New folks
First Time Spectator Questions...
« on: August 05, 2014, 02:08:39 AM »
I got the whole "De-salt the rent a car".... "Bring Water"... "Sunburned junk hurts.." and other helpful hints down pat...  My question regards spectator access.

How fan down the course can you go?   What do you need to do so?  Can you make it down to the area where the cars are recovered? Is their a "Local AM radio" broadcast like at some sporting events to provide event info or speeds?  Any and all advise is greatly appreciated.

I plan on drinking in the whole Speedweek experience, and watching the driver / crew interactions that occur after the run are high on my list...

Thanks

Bob

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
Re: First Time Spectator Questions...
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2014, 08:56:16 AM »
Bob, there will be a sign, usually a mile or so past the pits that says "no spectators beyond this point."  You do not really need to be in the recovery area, you will see all you want.  You can walk the pits, drive outside the pits, be at the start line if sign the waiver and get an arm band. 
If you need to be more involved, there are usually opportunities to help.  Talk to folks, it is a friendly atmosphere, just pay attention before disturbing someone that is struggling to get their vehicle working... Thrashing is not usually conducive to conversation... guys sitting in chairs always is.
Have fun, stop and see us, come to Salt Talks, buy lots of t-shirts....  :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Kix

• 1997 GMC Saltnoma
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2014, 09:48:37 AM »
Welcome to the big white dyno...  I hope you enjoy your visit!

You can pretty much get right up to the tape marking the course 1 return road on the entire length of course 1.  And you can see most of the other courses from there as well.  The only real restriciton to this is that you cannot drive a vehicle in the pit area unless you have a pit pass. But you can drive past the pits in the rear of the pits to access viewing the latter part of the course and the shutdown area. But like Stainless said, don't go past the tape lined course.  The other courses have spectator areas at the start lines but downcourse access is restricted to officials, racers, and crews.

There is a FM radio broadcast during the event... it used to be on CB but moved to the radio last year.  The signal is not strong down at the shut down area... we took a cheap handheld last year for the pits and could hear almost zero unless we held our tongue just right .  We ended up leaving the car radios blasting so we could hear it in the pits.

I encourage you to be aware of exactly where you are at all times... if you're not sure just ask someone if it's OK to go there.  Spectators are welcomed and appreciated... and most are more than happy to give you all the ins and outs if you just ask.  There have been some star struck mall-gazer issues in the past where people are just wandering all over hell's half acre with no idea where they are or what they are doing.... and the last thing you want to do is endanger yourself or a racer.

Enjoy!

Kix

« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 09:52:28 AM by Kix »
MODIFIED MID-PICKUP #4442

Bonneville Record:     219.35 mph
Maxton Mile Record:   193.14 mph
Ohio Mile Record:       192.80 mph

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2014, 10:51:54 AM »
Some place, somewhere, I read that the spectator area on the "other side" of the pits would be closed this year.  Check the map you can get at the "End of the Road" to find spectator areas.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Online Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2014, 11:30:54 AM »
I'd like to know about that spectator location, too.  Normally I locaate a couple of potties just past that last exit -- but won't need many if there are no spectators down there.  I do put some at each pit exit and then way down, about the 6 - 6 1/2, for safety workers and crews and drivers.  Let me know if you know for sure, please.  Toilets start arriving tomorrow morning.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline AlisoBob

• New folks
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2014, 11:39:03 AM »
Thanks for the responses....  another quick question.  Do any of the vendors rent bicycles?

Offline MRK

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2014, 12:01:45 PM »
I always take my bicycle to cruise around on. It is a bit of a pump from the pit area to mile zero and back but having it in the pit area gives you great access. My .02  :cheers:
"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting." Steve McQueen

Online Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2014, 12:28:46 PM »
I've never seen anyone renting bikes out there.  You might be able to beg one from a crew - but I don't know if they'd let you have if for all day.  Maybe you'll have to rely on Shank's Mares.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline MRK

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2014, 12:32:40 PM »
Slide by impound, you can borrow mine!
"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting." Steve McQueen

Offline woz

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2014, 12:55:55 PM »
A few years back we bought a couple of cheap 10-speed bikes at the Wal Mart in SLC and took them to SW...my only recommendation is to get something with wider tires than we had and a large seat if you know what I mean.  The pit areas can be a lot rougher with more ruts than you might think.  We found that driving around the perimeter of the pits and getting out and walking was more effective. We were able to sell the bikes to someone in the pits as we were leaving with no problem.

Woz

Offline 38Chevy454

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2014, 07:04:24 PM »
Thanks for the responses....  another quick question.  Do any of the vendors rent bicycles?

No rental bikes i have ever seen, but just stop by a thrift shop in SLC or somewhere else if coming from different direction and get some bikes cheap.  Can drop them back off at thrift shop when done, consider it a rental  :-D

Yes, the bike will be a valuable asset to get around.  The pits are at mile 3 to 4, and obviously starting line is mile 0.  That is alot easier to cover on a bike than walking.  No hills to worry about  :roll:
« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 07:05:57 PM by 38Chevy454 »
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.....

High Quality USA-made bear claw style latches CHEAP! Now including install kits also!
buy here directly:  www.hotrodlatches.com

Online Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2014, 08:00:53 PM »
See elsewhere for other information, but here's a fuel price report.  Everyone needs fuel now and then.  Diesel is about $3.85/gallon, with the lowest price at Smith's ($3.84.9/gallon) and the highest at the Chevron next to Burger King - $3.90.9/gallon.  Gasoline is about the same price.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Freud

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2014, 08:20:07 PM »
5:20 PM Tuesday

I just talked to the receptionist at Motel 6 Wendover, UT

She said it's raining.

It is in town but we never know about out on the salt.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline ratpatrol66

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2014, 09:53:25 PM »
I'd like to know about that spectator location, too.  Normally I locaate a couple of potties just past that last exit -- but won't need many if there are no spectators down there.

SSS, They pulled the potties that were outside the pits back in, and everybody that had popup tents back to the pit side also.
I will down there at some point.

Offline Texican

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2014, 11:35:32 PM »
  Here's a note from the USFRA T&T;

There is an Iowa faucet at the North side of the Smith's gas pumps.
I asked the attendant if there would be a problem filling water jugs, or a 39 gallon tank in in a motor home; he said "NO".

An alternative to The Pilot...

Jim