Author Topic: Modified roadster construction  (Read 182245 times)

Offline toclub

Re: Modified roadster construction
« Reply #225 on: June 16, 2015, 06:11:06 PM »
Put on your check list, a couple of squirts of oil in the pump before you run 5 miles. They will burn up w/o oil.

Offline thundersalt

• www.americanrvservicecenter.com
« Reply #226 on: June 16, 2015, 09:17:18 PM »
Just crank the relief spring down. It'll suck its own lube :evil:
916 REMR
2017 AA/FRMR Bonneville Record holder 234.663
2018 AA/GRMR El Mirage Record holder 223.108
2020 AA/BGRMR Bonneville Record holder 252.438
2021 AA/BGRMR Bonneville Record holder 262.685
El Mirage 200 MPH Club
Drivers/Owners: Brian & Celia Dean

Offline tauruck

« Reply #227 on: June 17, 2015, 05:56:56 AM »
Great photos and the quality of the build is as good as ever.

Thanks Mike. :cheers:

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #228 on: June 17, 2015, 09:49:25 AM »
Thanks everyone! JD, we record crankcase vacuum. I also set the vacuum brake in the shop before I put it on the car. Your opinion of the Aerospace pump in similar to mine, easy to overhaul too when the blades wear down.
Toclub, yes we know to add oil from time to time but it does put a fair amount in the catch can too.

As a side note my view of this thread will be the 40,000th.....  Thanks!!!
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #229 on: June 17, 2015, 02:09:36 PM »
Mike,
Just a quick question on if your engine has a "tight" seal, i.e. do you have any openings between the engine case and atmosphere other than the leakage past the piston rings? I ask because if the pump is trying to evacuate from a sealed container it will not provide the best vacuum. As I understand you should have some sort of orfice that connects the case to atmosphere and this will keep the pump drawing the best vacuum. Obviously you will need to experiment with the orifice size to optimize.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #230 on: June 17, 2015, 02:30:41 PM »
Mike,
Just a quick question on if your engine has a "tight" seal, i.e. do you have any openings between the engine case and atmosphere other than the leakage past the piston rings? I ask because if the pump is trying to evacuate from a sealed container it will not provide the best vacuum. As I understand you should have some sort of orfice that connects the case to atmosphere and this will keep the pump drawing the best vacuum. Obviously you will need to experiment with the orifice size to optimize.

Rex

Excellent question Rex!
Yes, we have a vacuum brake that is adjustable and also has a small orifice for bleed air to the pump. If you look closely at the pictures you can see the brass filters under the diaphragm hat. We are running about 18" of vacuum currently.
Michael LeFevers

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #231 on: August 01, 2015, 04:56:02 PM »
Race cars are always evolving...

Now we have more time to apply things we want to do for Speed Week 2016...   :cry:
Michael LeFevers

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #232 on: August 23, 2015, 06:05:16 PM »
Here is what our first attempt at El Mirage looked like in 2009. The "R" on the truck windshield shows we were Rookies at the meet.

Then our pass at the June 2015 meet.

Like we said, race cars are always changing.

We'll post some teaser pictures for things we're doing for 2016 soon....
Michael LeFevers

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #233 on: September 23, 2015, 07:57:25 PM »
For those of you who use Co2 in your race car to operate systems like shifters etc. think about this.
When we built the roadster we decided to use an air shifter to make driving easier. Just push a button on the steering wheel so no hunting around for the correct gear & both hands stay on the wheel. This can be important at El Mirage when you start running over 200 MPH on dirt. Anyway, we thought we'd carry the idea (keeping your hands on the steering wheel) a little further. So we added an air servo to pull the parachute  cable open after a pass again without taking your hands off the wheel. 

So, the button on the right side of the steering wheel is the shift button. Every time the shift light comes on (or at X RPM) push the button for the next gear. The button on the left side of the wheel is the parachute release button, again the drivers hands never leave the wheel once the run is underway. The red "T" lever in the center of the steering wheel is the emergency parachute release (required by the rules & a good idea anyway) so if you should loose air pressure for any reason you have a manual back up. It has worked well for us as the car has tried to spin once at Bonneville & once at El Mirage. Both times the pucker factor allowed the driver to hit the button as a spin started, the car never made a complete 360 because the 'chute was out soon enough to catch the spin & pull the car back straight. I feel this is much better & FASTER than taking your hand off the wheel to reach for a lever.

The second picture you can see the actuator that pulls the parachute cable in the lower right corner with a black air line going to it.

For those that might be wondering, the panel on the right has several switches & such so from front to rear:

Master battery on/off with a cable to the rear of the car for the emergency team

Next is the master transmission engagement switch

The orange rubber coated push button is for the starter

Then 3 toggle switches with safety covers for the ignition, intercooler pump, & priming fuel pump

This is followed by 2 fire bottle knobs

Below those is the plug in for the oil tank heater.

Michael LeFevers

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #234 on: September 26, 2015, 01:28:00 PM »
Mike, been preaching the same approach for years.  If you have to reach for the chute it will be hard to get it in time... we also shift from the wheel, with the up shift and down shift switch next to the oil pressure lite and mechanical chute pull. 
Our wheel... the shifter is on the lower left, the chute is the "guarded" button above it.  The button on the right is for those crazy times you think N20 is required.
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #235 on: December 02, 2015, 03:54:17 PM »
Well, that's it for the 2015 racing season. We ran 205 mph at the Nov. El Mirage meet. Then melted some wires after the pass.  :oops:
We have been struggling with this new turbo combination so we're going to yank it out of the car & beat it up on the dyno over the winter. I have been running record setting turbocharged engines at Bonneville since the early 1980's, this one is not going to get my goat...  :dhorse:  or horse...

We have a new list of upgrades for next year, so we'll be back ready to kick some tail next year.
We will also try to post updates with any modifications we do over the winter.   :cheers:
Michael LeFevers

Offline tauruck

« Reply #236 on: December 06, 2015, 09:43:45 PM »
That is still one of the best looking cars on the forum.

I know you'll sort the problem. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #237 on: December 24, 2015, 12:13:25 PM »
The LeFevers & Jesel racing team would like to wish you all a Very Merry Christmas!

We would also like to announce the addition of our newest team member:

Parker Jenson LeFevers.

Born to Ryan & Kristin LeFevers early this Christmas eve Dec. 24, 2015.

Merry Christmas![/b]
Michael LeFevers

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #238 on: December 24, 2015, 03:19:19 PM »
Congratulations!!!
I guess y'all are having a very Merry Christmas already.
Welcome to LSR Parker
Merry Christmas LeFevers Family
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Skip Pipes

• I hate being bipolar, its awesome!
« Reply #239 on: December 24, 2015, 04:03:04 PM »
Hi Mike,

Congratulations to the family on the new arrival. And Merry Christmas.

Skip Pipes
Skip's Garage
Builder of the SUNBEAM ALPINE Police Interceptor