Author Topic: Modified roadster construction  (Read 182586 times)

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
Re: Modified roadster construction
« Reply #210 on: February 02, 2015, 07:36:32 PM »
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #211 on: February 02, 2015, 07:49:33 PM »
Thanks Mike I knew you would sort it out. Must this video run through facebook?
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #212 on: February 02, 2015, 08:49:32 PM »
Mike --

Our driver had a foot operation after the season.  Took some bone outta his right foot.  Hopefully it's a little lighter.  Let me know if you want the formula.

Stan
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #213 on: February 02, 2015, 08:58:06 PM »
That's okay Stan, This is the pass that Ryan got in the Dirty 2 club with so I'm alright with it.
But thanks anyway... :-P
Michael LeFevers

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #214 on: February 16, 2015, 05:12:18 PM »
A few simple things to make the car easier to service. We added a trap door to the hood (which I hated to cut into again) to make adding ice to the intercooler tank something we could do in the staging lanes without removing the hood, a two man job. I was always worried someone might drop it, run into something, step on it, who knows what.
So here's what we did....
Michael LeFevers

Offline jdincau

« Reply #215 on: February 16, 2015, 06:05:28 PM »
Nice job Mike.
Unless it's crazy, ambitious and delusional, it's not worth our time!

Offline tauruck

« Reply #216 on: February 16, 2015, 08:35:27 PM »
That car is a show winner IMO.

The detail is awesome.
One of my favourites.

That's how you build a race car. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Offline Freud

« Reply #217 on: March 02, 2015, 07:34:04 PM »
That crew does  E V E R Y T H I N G  right.

Sometimes they are slow to get it done but

when it leaves the shop it is right.

2 drivers.  2 Dirty 2 Club hats.

They are the basis of the next generation

of racers. We are in good hands, Thanks to Michael.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #218 on: May 25, 2015, 12:52:13 AM »
I would like to say thank you to everyone who has followed our build thread for the last 8 or so years. We hope it has given at least one of you out there the desire to build a vehicle of your own...
I would also like to thank everyone for their kind praise & insights on our family project.

We were ready to go to the opening El Mirage meet of the 2015 season but for whatever reason it was not to be.
I keep a running note pad of items that need to be done for the next meet along with a list of things "to do" someday. Since the May meet was canceled we had time to install a engine vacuum pump that we had bought late last year. We needed to build a custom mounting bracket, special pulley so the pump would work at it's optimal speed, along with mounting the catch can, built lines, etc.
Here are a few pictures of the install.

« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 12:54:01 AM by Dynoroom »
Michael LeFevers

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #219 on: May 25, 2015, 12:59:23 AM »
A few more...... The large pulley comes with the pump & is designed to run off the crank but we were going to run it off the water pump so the vacuum pump speed would be too slow. The smaller pulley will allow the vacuum pump to run at it's optimum speed.

See you at the races!
Michael LeFevers

Offline DND

« Reply #220 on: May 25, 2015, 03:37:29 AM »
That's a slick looking pulley with the spokes, I was wondering why the May meet at El Mo was cancelled

Thanks, Don

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #221 on: June 16, 2015, 02:57:05 PM »
Racing is a series of "problem solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

El Mirage Report from last weekend.
First run was a turn out as "I" forgot to check a sensor connection that "I" told myself (& others) to check when we got to the lakebed. You can see how that worked out....

Then we ran into an interesting issue on our 2nd try. Seems we had a tygon hose in our air shifter burst. We had this happen a couple of yeas ago but though it was due to some mig welding slag. Not so. All the shifter servos are on the left hand side of the transmission. Then the numerous air lines that control the shifting are on the left side of the servos. This encroaches on the drivers compartment and the aluminum panel that separates the driver from said hardware (pictures to follow). Well it was about 112 degrees Saturday afternoon & these hoses rest against the aluminum panel. Well, it seems with the sun beating down on it the hose got soft. Then when the pressure was applied it popped like a balloon. Transmission falls out of gear & engine goes on the rev limiter. Hard to go fast in neutral. Good news, nothing was hurt but our pride.
Moral to the story... Don't forget your umbrella to cover the drivers compartment from the hot sun! We also added a heat blanket over the lines & installed a heat pad on the panel. For those of you who will say "use Teflon braided lines" look closely at the pictures. Not a lot of room to install any other type of hardware. 

First picture is the interior panel with the bulge to clear the a servo.
Second picture is the transmission side of the same panel & the servo.
Third shot shows all the lines and the routing we use in the car. Jerico has a different routing but it won't in our car so we changed it.

By the way, if any of you are on Facebook please "Like" the LeFevers & Jesel Racing page. Thanks
Michael LeFevers

Offline jdincau

« Reply #222 on: June 16, 2015, 03:02:54 PM »
Racing is a series of "problem solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...
Mike, that's the greatest tag line ever.
Unless it's crazy, ambitious and delusional, it's not worth our time!

Offline Frankie7799

« Reply #223 on: June 16, 2015, 04:18:18 PM »
Mike, I think ive seen that pic of the car in line for inspection somewhere before  :wink: Im glad I finally got to see the car up close and watch it run over the weekend. Was good to meet and talk to Kevin as well. Had planned on coming by during the weekend and introducing myself but got put to work and never made it over to say hi. Ill catch ya in Bonneville

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #224 on: June 16, 2015, 05:08:53 PM »
Mike did you add a vacuum gauge to your pan or valve cover? I ran a pump for 5 years before I did and it a glance at thing before the lights if I remember; a nice thing to know for a guy not running any data acquisition. Easy to do at the salt not so at El Mirage. I like your brand choice on the pump. I feel Aero Space Industries are the best at least for me. I check the reciever after every run; I use a petcock on the bottom of mine for this.
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro