Author Topic: Modified roadster construction  (Read 182789 times)

Offline Tman

Re: Modified roadster construction
« Reply #195 on: June 15, 2014, 01:43:13 PM »
Scoop looks neat.

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #196 on: August 21, 2014, 01:25:09 AM »
Ok, we had the car ready for Bonneville but......... ahh Mother Nature.

I was busy with a few details & projects along with the scoop so I didn't get as many pictures as I would have liked. Good thing really as it kinda turned into a POS. Anyway I cut the scoop in half length wise and hollowed out the center to hold the aluminum inlet tube. Then I laid some glass over the foam after I thought I used a resin that wouldn't affect the foam. Think again; as I was laying up the fiberglass the foam was falling away underneath. I went ahead & finished the layup, bondo, mounting & paint in time for bonneville but since it was ugly & the event canceled I've taken it back off to fix (I hope) the details I didn't like before. That being said here are the pictures I do have of the job.

I have other pictures but they must be on the computer at work. So more later.     
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline jdincau

« Reply #197 on: August 21, 2014, 10:49:18 AM »
Mike,
     Here is how I did mine. I decided to mold the inner contour as I wanted it to be as smooth and fair as possible. I made a plaster splash of the hood contour and laid some glass on that to make a base for the plug. The shape was band sawed and sanded to fit the base and epoxied to it. Then sanded smooth, sealed with a two part paint, filled, sanded, spot filled, sanded again and painted.
     The plug was waxed, and painted with polyvinyl alcohol and laid up with  three plys of cloth/epoxy resin. I used carbon fiber because I had some left over from making the inner fender wells for my brothers  streamliner.  Standard bondo, sand, prime and paint for the outside.
     It mates up with a plenum I made to fit around my injector.
Unless it's crazy, ambitious and delusional, it's not worth our time!

Offline jdincau

« Reply #198 on: August 21, 2014, 10:51:39 AM »
more pics

Offline jdincau

« Reply #199 on: August 21, 2014, 11:18:21 AM »
and another

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #200 on: August 21, 2014, 11:24:26 AM »
Thanks for the pictures & description Jim. I had never done fiberglass, bondo or paint work until this car, and believe me it shows! I did look at your scoop at El Mirage I just didn't know how it was done.
I found the other pictures of the scoop mounted to the car and how we seal the inlet. So here they are....
Michael LeFevers

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #201 on: August 21, 2014, 12:19:27 PM »
Mike and family crew---thanks for sharing your hard work and inspirational  build.  I just re-read this thing from page 6 -- so, so much to see and learn from your thoughts, experience and efforts.  I was re-tracking to see if   I had missed something---you just haven't covered the changes to the intake system yet---here's waiting in great anticipation

As a guy who has not been around racing other that as a spectator really, really appreciates you guys who have, and are willing to share their experience! 

sparky
« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 12:26:53 PM by SPARKY »
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline tauruck

« Reply #202 on: August 21, 2014, 12:37:16 PM »
Jim, you did a really nice job on that scoop.
Thanks for the pics. :cheers:

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #203 on: October 14, 2014, 06:08:36 PM »
Looking to make a test pass at El Mirage this weekend during the SCTA meet. Gonna check a few things out being we didn't get to go to Bonneville. Boost controller is hooked up, Air scoop has been fluffed & buffed, Intake air temps were showing some issues so we'll see if we got that under control along with a few other details.
We will also be adding an access door to the hood before next season for the addition of ice to the intercooler tank without removing the hood in the staging lanes.
Michael LeFevers

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #204 on: October 14, 2014, 06:49:44 PM »
Looks great! Good luck this weekend.  :cheers:
Maybe there is no Heaven. Or maybe this is all pure gibberish. The product of a demented hill billy who has found a way to live out where the winds blow. To sleep late, have fun, drink whiskey, and drive fast on empty streets with nothing in mind except falling in love or getting arrested.    H.S. Thompson

Offline Tman

« Reply #205 on: October 15, 2014, 09:50:14 AM »
Thanks again for such great detail shots Mike!

Offline Skip Pipes

• I hate being bipolar, its awesome!
« Reply #206 on: October 17, 2014, 02:48:24 AM »
Fine work as always! Good luck this weekend.

Skip
Skip's Garage
Builder of the SUNBEAM ALPINE Police Interceptor

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #207 on: October 21, 2014, 08:25:39 PM »
Well, things are starting to move in a positive direction. We took the car to El Mirage this last weekend to see if we could gather some more data. Kevin was again driving with a low boost setting (~7 psi) to see that things are working correctly. We have had some issues with the fuel return, under hood temps, charge-air temp, etc. The pass was good at 202 mph as we only have 3 full passes so far & Kevin is still learning how to deal with the added power.
The new design boost tube with better air gap & shielding over the turbine housing appears to have solved our temps climbing in the intake manifold. The new air scoop "seems" to be ok but we need more testing to make sure. I installed a manifold absolute pressure sensor in the ducting to the turbocharger. On acceleration it pulls a vacuum at low speed and starts to recover pressure at 200 mph. This was close to the calculations but we need a faster run to prove it IMO. A couple sensors (drivrshaft, TPS,) to name two may need to be remounted to better deal with some erratic readings. We can smooth them out in the program but I think the mounts are the issue. Some other small details are water temps too cool & oil pressure to high during the pass. One may be contributing to the other so we'll sort that out.
Overall a very nice weekend on the dirt, you don't get those to often. Upper 70's low 80's & no wind.
Anyway, that's kinda it in a nut shell. If I think of anything else I will post it.   

I also added a couple of photos.
Kevin in his easy chair & pushing off the line.
Photos by Doug Hayes

Michael LeFevers

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #208 on: October 22, 2014, 01:19:30 PM »
Mike-Kevin  So good to see and visit you guys his week end
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #209 on: February 02, 2015, 05:08:02 PM »
Not sure if I did this right, never posted video before. Anyway this is from late 2012 at El Mirage by Ray Lowery. B/T Before Turbo  :lol:

"https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=994461083915264"

« Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 08:44:21 PM by Dynoroom »
Michael LeFevers