Author Topic: Modified roadster construction  (Read 182571 times)

Offline Peter Jack

Re: Modified roadster construction
« Reply #90 on: March 26, 2013, 12:27:37 AM »
Thanks Mike! That was QUICK!!!  :-o :-o :-D Sorry about the name mix up. I corrected it.

Pete
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 12:30:58 AM by Peter Jack »

Offline tauruck

« Reply #91 on: March 26, 2013, 12:42:22 AM »
Burns is tops. I emailed them about advice on welding SSteel. They came back to me in hours. DR, your stuff looks great. Mike.

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
« Reply #92 on: March 26, 2013, 12:46:46 AM »
Mike, I have been looking into coatings and just cant get my hands around how they spray an even coat.  Does that mater much or is there something more I am missing? I remember in the old IMSA  days talking to our engine guy from  Roush, and he would say they would go through a bunch of sets of bearings after coating them to find enough shells to make the perfect set. Tony
“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #93 on: March 26, 2013, 12:58:27 AM »
Tony, I don't coat bearings but I have used them. They do have a build up but bearing shells very in thickness from the parting line to the center of the shell anyway. You measure for clearance just like any other bearing. That being said if you ran a standaed bearing uncoated you might need a extra clearance bearing if it's coated. I don't see the need, and many of the Nascar engines I've worked on don't have coated bearing either.
I do like coated cam bearings because of the spring loads during startup.

Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #94 on: March 26, 2013, 03:37:18 AM »
That Burns stuff is pure art!

Even has a proper "goilet".   Wow.   I need to talk Midget into a stuff of this quality.
 :cheers:
Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline krusty

« Reply #95 on: March 26, 2013, 07:57:30 AM »

Go Mike go! Can't wait to see your son(s) run with the hairdryer(s) power.      vic

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #96 on: March 27, 2013, 01:49:02 AM »
Transmission inspection....  :-o
Michael LeFevers

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #97 on: March 27, 2013, 01:02:42 PM »
Mike,
I have never had the opportunity to take one of these trannies apart but looking at your pics when you shift into high gear, which I assume is the front (input shaft end) dog ring does it disengage the input gear from the counter shaft?? I am assuming that high gear is 1:1 with the power going through the main shaft.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline Frankie7799

« Reply #98 on: March 27, 2013, 01:22:01 PM »
Mike, the upgrades are looking good. Think you will have it all done in time for El Mirage in May or would that be pushing it?

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
« Reply #99 on: March 27, 2013, 05:56:32 PM »
Looking good, Mike! :cheers:
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #100 on: March 28, 2013, 11:26:17 PM »
As promised, the 321 stainless headers with the cast stainless flanges. Goes nice with the new collectors....  :-) 
Michael LeFevers

Offline DND

« Reply #101 on: March 28, 2013, 11:55:21 PM »
Hi Mike

Do those cast flanges stay flat when welding, when using a single flange you can hold it in a fixture for a final mill cut to make it flat for the gasket seal.

What do you do with those type of flanges for flatness?

Those parts do make a nice & clean looking header, does the collector stay floating?

Stainless is neat to weld just like welding butter just flows and looks great after with all the colors in the weld to see.

Don

Offline Freud

« Reply #102 on: March 29, 2013, 12:08:52 AM »
Just another example of first class building.

CONGRATULATIONS........all three of you.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #103 on: March 29, 2013, 12:30:35 AM »
Hi Mike

Do those cast flanges stay flat when welding, when using a single flange you can hold it in a fixture for a final mill cut to make it flat for the gasket seal.

What do you do with those type of flanges for flatness?

Those parts do make a nice & clean looking header, does the collector stay floating?

Stainless is neat to weld just like welding butter just flows and looks great after with all the colors in the weld to see.

Don

Don,

Yes they stay flat after welding, and if not a simple touch up on the 20" disk sander fixes any issues. We don't use header gaskets and yes the pipes "float" in the collectors. I've been involved with endurance turbo engines for over 30 years, many on the salt and the current method I use has worked out the best for us to date.
Thanks for asking.
Michael LeFevers

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #104 on: March 29, 2013, 02:20:43 PM »
Mike,
I have never had the opportunity to take one of these trannies apart but looking at your pics when you shift into high gear, which I assume is the front (input shaft end) dog ring does it disengage the input gear from the counter shaft?? I am assuming that high gear is 1:1 with the power going through the main shaft.

Rex

Rex, yes 1.0:1 in 5th is how we run this trans and everything through the main in high gear.
Michael LeFevers