Author Topic: Modified roadster construction  (Read 182588 times)

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
Re: Modified roadster construction
« Reply #60 on: January 12, 2009, 12:22:07 AM »
Thanks for the kind words guys. Lots left to do to make it a record holder but we're working on it.  :-)
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline Bville701

« Reply #61 on: January 12, 2009, 01:31:56 AM »
Yes, we are!!!     :-)
Ryan LeFevers

701 C/GMR - 216.509 MPH El Mirage Record Holder

El Mirage "Dirty 2" Club Member

Offline jl222

« Reply #62 on: January 12, 2009, 11:51:26 PM »
 Hi Mike & Ryan

Looking really good.
 Frame looks set up for a 4 link but how did you mount the shocks? As low as the body sits you had to do something different :?

JL222 :cheers:

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #63 on: January 13, 2009, 12:17:44 AM »
Hi John, Here is a shot of the shock layout rearend layout. Ya making it low has caused LOTS of packaging problems.  :evil:

Michael LeFevers

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #64 on: February 16, 2012, 01:38:28 AM »
Update!

I said that I would try to update the build diary but I didn't think it had been so long since I posted any info.

So in a nut shell......   we ran the car for the first time at Bonneville '08. Both of my sons wanted to drive but the youngest Kevin fit the car best @ 5'10" his brother Ryan is 6'4" and had to wait until we made changes in 2009. Nither had ever driven before so this was a license and learning time too. Both boys have earned their "A" license's and now race at El Mirage starting in 2009.
We've not been able to run as well as we'd like at Bonneville yet but in 2010 Kevin missed the class record at El Mirage by less than 1 mph. Then at the opening May meet in 2011 everything clicked and Kevin reset the 208 mph record to 213 earning entry into the Dirty 2 club. We finished the 2011 season as LSR club points champs and set top time of the meet in Sept. So it was a good year. Now we are going to focus on getting Ryan a shot at setting a record and working the issues out of the Bonneville setup dynoing the engine with the complete fuel system in the next couple of weeks. After all I do own a dyno......

First picture first race at Bonneville 2008

Second picture is from 2011 at Bonneville

Third shot is from El Mirage
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 01:40:22 AM by Dynoroom »
Michael LeFevers

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #65 on: February 16, 2012, 02:19:04 AM »
  Mike, not only is it a great looking car, but to be able to share your knowledge and expertise with your sons has got to be one of the greatest feelings one can enjoy.
  I think if more fathers spent time with their kids teaching them their hobbies we wouldn't have so many morons running around. 
  I wish you guy's the best, and by the way, "Old Geisler" made it to Vancouver last week, and nothing has changed................ He is leaning on a walker while building a new street rod, and believe it or not, is selling the famous Geisler Construction 1951 chopped  (and Pink) GMC pickup..............
  I still plan on stuffing him when he croaks and hopefully putting him on display in Mike Crawford's Museum.                        Bob
Bob Drury

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #66 on: February 16, 2012, 02:28:38 AM »
Thanks Bob, it has been a true blessing to share this time with my boys. Tom Bryant and I had a chat not to long ago and he inparted some true wisdom on me.
As for Bruce, this is ALL his fault, so I'll be one of the first in line throwing darts at him in the museum.  :wink:

Tell him I think of him often.....   8-)
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 02:30:39 AM by Dynoroom »
Michael LeFevers

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #67 on: February 16, 2012, 11:19:20 AM »
Sure is nice to see the "roadster" in a Modified Roadster.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Tman

« Reply #68 on: February 16, 2012, 11:31:52 AM »
  Mike, not only is it a great looking car, but to be able to share your knowledge and expertise with your sons has got to be one of the greatest feelings one can enjoy.
  I think if more fathers spent time with their kids teaching them their hobbies we wouldn't have so many morons running around. 
  I wish you guy's the best, and by the way, "Old Geisler" made it to Vancouver last week, and nothing has changed................ He is leaning on a walker while building a new street rod, and believe it or not, is selling the famous Geisler Construction 1951 chopped  (and Pink) GMC pickup..............
  I still plan on stuffing him when he croaks and hopefully putting him on display in Mike Crawford's Museum.                        Bob

I always wanted to build a loose clone of that pickup! Cool ride.

Dyno, I agree with Stan, you guys built a good looing ride there that still has the roadsterr left in it! :cheers:

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #69 on: February 16, 2012, 11:42:48 AM »
A couple other things we're doing for the 2012 season is making some adjustments in the 4-link, Re-dynoing the shocks to get a better handle on some of the settings, and I'm working on a new intake manifold that I hope to make multi-purpose with either multi-carbs or EFI and even a provision for a throttle body on the front for when we turbocharge it.  8-)
Michael LeFevers

Offline thundersalt

• www.americanrvservicecenter.com
« Reply #70 on: February 16, 2012, 11:45:21 AM »
Sure is nice to see the "roadster" in a Modified Roadster.
x2
916 REMR
2017 AA/FRMR Bonneville Record holder 234.663
2018 AA/GRMR El Mirage Record holder 223.108
2020 AA/BGRMR Bonneville Record holder 252.438
2021 AA/BGRMR Bonneville Record holder 262.685
El Mirage 200 MPH Club
Drivers/Owners: Brian & Celia Dean

Offline redhotracing

« Reply #71 on: February 16, 2012, 01:07:43 PM »
That intake looks very cool... Are you planning on building in provisions for carbs, then plating
when running EFI, or building a separate upper to adapt to the fuel system? Very cool stuff. Is
that a T6-flanged turbo? Looks very similar to our Bullseye S488. Great looking car, all around.
Luke- Winston Salem, NC
Loring 2 Club- 201.252 (2010)
Ohio 2 Club- 203.712 (2013)

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
« Reply #72 on: February 16, 2012, 05:09:21 PM »
Mike, I think Bob Drury pretty well spelled things out.

When I got to see the car last year, and meet you and your family, you were doing a photo shoot. You and your family were great, and the car sure looked beautiful! :cheers:
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #73 on: September 22, 2012, 09:08:50 PM »
Here are some things we're looking at for the 2013 season. The fabricated intake manifold is still in the "build" stage. But the rodent cage looks more and more like the way to go for us.....
Michael LeFevers

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #74 on: September 22, 2012, 09:19:50 PM »
Adding the turbo should help reduce some frontal from the car as the air scoop sure does sit in the breeze.
Michael LeFevers