Author Topic: Modified roadster construction  (Read 182821 times)

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
Re: Modified roadster construction
« Reply #45 on: April 27, 2008, 05:48:14 PM »
And where a mask!

I think it is right behind him  :evil:.  Sorry Scott the devil made me do it and you are right "wear" the mask and gloves and long sleeves.  The car is awesome and so is your bike.  Not to divert this thread, but has anyone else used one of those fairings on a V-Twin??

Sum

Offline isiahstites

« Reply #46 on: April 27, 2008, 07:01:47 PM »
And where a mask!

I think it is right behind him  :evil:.  Sorry Scott the devil made me do it and you are right "wear" the mask and gloves and long sleeves.  The car is awesome and so is your bike.  Not to divert this thread, but has anyone else used one of those fairings on a V-Twin??

Sum

Ya sometimes I am a special ed student and can not spell. If you would like to talk about the fairing maybe we could do it in my thread?

Scott

Offline Harold Bettes

• Firebase High Country
« Reply #47 on: April 27, 2008, 07:04:12 PM »
Hey Dynoroom and crew, :-D

That thing is looking plenty good! 8-)

Glad to see and hear that you are making some progress on your stuff. That sure makes the time pass with a reward at the end. :roll:

Even though it is not a requirement, you might consider a heavier section of armament over the top 180 and front of the driveshaft to well past your hocks. Attaching to the loops, the piece could be removable for working on the car if necessary, but shrapnel is never your friend no matter where it comes from. :|

Best Regards,
HB2 :-)
If it was easy, everybody would be doing it.

As iron sharpens iron, one man sharpens another.

Offline WZ JUNK

« Reply #48 on: May 17, 2008, 09:42:40 PM »
Mike,

This is my first look at what you have done.  I think you did a great job on the glass work.  When we talked on the phone, I had the impression it was a much smaller piece that you were working on.  I like the way you carried the theme from the front of the car into the shape of the fiberglass piece.  Looks to me like you know what you are doing.

John
Crew chief #974 B/BGCC 1953 Studebaker Past Bonneville record holder.

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #49 on: May 19, 2008, 06:35:31 PM »
Dynoroom,
After doing all of that nice aluminum work on the nose you go to fiber glass for the rear fairing! That part is a snap compared to your nose! I know you really like to itch!!

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #50 on: May 20, 2008, 12:47:11 AM »
Mike,
This is my first look at what you have done.  I think you did a great job on the glass work.  When we talked on the phone, I had the impression it was a much smaller piece that you were working on.  I like the way you carried the theme from the front of the car into the shape of the fiberglass piece.  Looks to me like you know what you are doing.
John

Thanks for all your help pointing me in the right direction John.

Dynoroom,
After doing all of that nice aluminum work on the nose you go to fiber glass for the rear fairing! That part is a snap compared to your nose! I know you really like to itch!!
Rex

Rex, I understand your pain!  :-D but we need to get this beast finished. I saw the results of your ride over at the HAMB........... nice...........
Oh ya we changed the nose a bit............ and went through preliminary tech at El Mirage this last weekend.......... it's about time to go racing!!!
Here are a few updated photos.

Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #51 on: May 20, 2008, 04:04:09 AM »
great looking car Michael, beautiful lines , good luck with the racing bit.
Dr G.
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #52 on: May 20, 2008, 12:06:05 PM »
The car looks great Mike, you did good,

Sum

Offline Harold Bettes

• Firebase High Country
« Reply #53 on: May 20, 2008, 05:24:41 PM »
Hi Mike and All, :-D

Nice finish lines on the mod roodster. Are you planning on using a mini chin spoiler under the flat panel? Like something that is within 1/2 inch of the salt surface or something like that? :lol:

What type of arrangement are you going to cap over the carburetor? I am assuming some type of scoop device. :wink:

I can't wait to see the final piece. :-o

You guys take care. 8-)

Regards to All,
HB2 :-)

If it was easy, everybody would be doing it.

As iron sharpens iron, one man sharpens another.

Offline t russell

« Reply #54 on: May 20, 2008, 08:16:44 PM »
Mike damn cool car
terry

Offline jwyer

• New folks
« Reply #55 on: January 11, 2009, 03:31:40 AM »
Looks like I came to the right place.  I'm an old drag racer.  Started in 1961 with a '51 Chevy, then a '56 Chevy, & '63 Chevy at Lions, Colton, & Irwindale.  Street beaters.  Became a gofer for the Barlag & Clark T/F car in 1964.  After the Navy, with Gary Jennings, built a C/GD, then an A/FD, then an AA/BAD.  Ran that until 1983, ran out of $$$, backed it down to run the S/E club races until 2005, when Gary had his first, & last heart attack.  Tried model airplanes, naawh; tried a sail boat, naawh.  Went to the first El Mirage show last year.   It was hot, windy, dusty, & long.  At the end of the day I was sunburned, smelled like sweat, dirt, oil, gas, & nitro.  As I was leaving, I bought a rule book.  Went to all the meets at El Mirage last year as an observer.  I have gathered enough parts to build a Class G modified roadster, except for the body, & chassis.  I am not going to light a torch until I know what I'm going to do.  I would prefer a front motor car, but a back motor car is easier to build.  I have built both.  With a front motor dragster, the driver hangs out behind the rear end.  Not so with a front motor modified roadster, as the driver hangs off to the left side.  I would like to see more pictures of front motor modified roadsters without the skin, to see how the cage is built.  Any advice is appreciated.
John   :cheers:         

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #56 on: January 11, 2009, 10:07:22 AM »
Hey, boys and girls, looks like we've got another one caught up in the fun we have.  (Belated) welcome, John.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #57 on: January 11, 2009, 10:28:40 AM »
Welcome John. Here are some shot of out early chassis construction.

As for advice the only thing I suggest you look as is driver placment. If I was to do it again I'd put the driver on the right side of the car. When running at El Mirage the right side of the track is not run on as much because most drivers can't see how close to the edge they are. Better dirt is dirt that hasn't been run on.

Good Luck on your project.

Here's the car the way we ran at the Salt this year

Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #58 on: January 11, 2009, 10:48:12 AM »
Mike thanks for the complete frame shots!!!!!!!!! that and the finished shot give nice prespective!
« Last Edit: January 11, 2009, 10:59:33 AM by SPARKY »
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline jwyer

• New folks
« Reply #59 on: January 11, 2009, 11:27:21 PM »
Thanks for the pics.  Theyr'e extreemly useful.  I was kind of lerry about sitting next to the driveshaft,   however, in all the dragsters I've driven, except one, I had the driveshaft, trans, & rear end between my legs.  Not much difference, is it ?  What is really helpful is seeing where the driveshaft goes, & that the back of the cage is even with the CL of rear end.  I found another M/R on the build site from Bob Sights Jr.  I used to race against him, & Nick Arias III in the 80's, & his has a similar setup.  I've pretty much decided on a front engine car, as it will fit in my garage, & on my trailer. 
By the way, your car is reminicent of the 1960's, & 1970's T/F cars.  Magnificent craftsmanship, body work, detail, appearance, & performance.