Author Topic: Modified roadster construction  (Read 182608 times)

Offline John Nimphius

Re: Modified roadster construction
« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2007, 01:03:47 AM »
Thanks Mike

The seat modifications like everything else you guys are doing is first class.

John

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: May 13, 2007, 10:14:44 PM »
Some progress....    Finally! Probably too little too late but we'll keep working.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2007, 11:34:45 AM by Dynoroom »
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: May 13, 2007, 10:27:49 PM »
A couple more...
Michael LeFevers

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #33 on: May 14, 2007, 12:37:20 AM »
Looks like a really nice job of building Mike. Keep up the good work and keep those pictures coming!

Just out of curiosity, what's the drag car tucked in beside the lsr project?

Pete

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: May 27, 2007, 02:51:12 PM »
Looks like a really nice job of building Mike. Keep up the good work and keep those pictures coming!

Just out of curiosity, what's the drag car tucked in beside the lsr project?

Pete

Thanks Pete, more pictures coming soon! Making good progress over the long weekend.

The dragster is a recreation/restoration of the Norman Gingrass & John Dearmore 1968 AA/FD out of Wichita, Kansas. It is currently owned by Larry Crossan of Sacramento.
Michael LeFevers

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: August 10, 2007, 02:56:09 AM »
Well, we almost made it. Heading to the Salt but without the car. It WILL turn a tire before the end of the season we'll just have to see if it's El Mirage or the World Finals.

Here's some shots of the nose construction.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2007, 02:59:21 AM by Dynoroom »
Michael LeFevers

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: August 10, 2007, 03:08:09 AM »
Here are some shots of the basic body as it goes together.
I'd also like to take this time to thank Doug Kruse of Kruse Aluminum for his expert help on our body construction and LeRoy Shaver of Centerline Welding for the many "small" tasks that I have fill his days.
Michael LeFevers

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: August 10, 2007, 03:14:23 AM »
Here are a few more pictures.
Michael LeFevers

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: August 10, 2007, 03:42:59 AM »
I also need to thank my boys Ryan and Kevin for their help. Without them Gary and I would be alot farther away in construction.
Michael LeFevers

Offline Harold Bettes

• Firebase High Country
« Reply #39 on: August 10, 2007, 11:20:05 AM »
Mike,

You guys have done a great job on the roadster! Nice and innovative, too. It certainly should be a runner. 8-)

Tell Doug hi for me. :lol:

You will soon enjoy the fruits of your long labor, but in the meantime you guys enjoy Bonneville and the fellowship. :wink:

See you later.

Regards,
HB2 :-)
If it was easy, everybody would be doing it.

As iron sharpens iron, one man sharpens another.

Offline GeneF

« Reply #40 on: August 10, 2007, 06:55:45 PM »
You fellers do some right fine fab work.  :-D Seriously, I've been following your build from the beginning and hope you have it at the W/Fs, maybe I can get the $.50 tour.

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #41 on: April 27, 2008, 02:03:58 AM »
BUMP!
OK, you guys know it takes lots of Time, $$, & work to field a race car. This car has been a test of wills, but we're  making headway.
I started a thread a couple of weeks ago about laying up fiberglass because I'd never done it! Well the fact is I should keep trying to build engines because I sure can't do glass work........
Anyway here are some pictures of the parachute faring for our modified roadster. As you see we still have tons of fit and finish work to do. Ahh Bonneville, you'll do whatever it takes.

here are some pictures of the rearend, shocks and other items................

And another view of the drivers cockpit.

And lastly the drivline.

« Last Edit: April 27, 2008, 02:09:48 AM by Dynoroom »
Michael LeFevers

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #42 on: April 27, 2008, 09:34:33 AM »
Mike---that is what sanders are for---a nice "1st" attempt---bet it will look as great as the rest of the car with paint on it!!!!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: April 29, 2008, 11:24:10 PM by SPARKY »
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #43 on: April 27, 2008, 10:00:28 AM »
Looks good Mike.  I can't tell you much about the stage you are since I haven't done glass, but I would go with the coarsest disc you can put on something other than the end of your arm and knock that down in the vicinity of flat.  Then don't be afraid of more bondo than you would put on a street car.  This is a race car. 

With the bondo at first you aren't sanding it you are shaping it, so use 36 or 40 grit on a long board and this new stuff will knock down pretty fast.  I have an air long board, but haven't used it in years.  I would recommend a hand one as it will go fast and you won't be taking too much off and having to keep putting more on.  Don't be afraid to use a "guide coat in a can" at this step.  It will let you see the highs and lows and will let you go much faster.

Once you have the shape with the coarse paper then put on a very thin skim coat on and knock the highs off with 40 grit and then sand the 40 grit scratches out with 80 grit.

Once you are satisfied with it after sanding with the 80 grit go to a high build catalyzed primer and put on 3 heavy coats.  It will fill the 80 grit scratches and you can block that down (guide coat it) with 180 or 220 dry.

Finished with that put on 3 more heavy coats and block it with 400 wet.  Don't sand any of these steps with your bare hands on the paper get some different rubber blocks.  A hard one for the last step and there are some that are hard on one side and soft on the other for working inside curved areas.  Get a long board and shorter board to use with the 40, 80 and 220 papers along with the blocks.

When sanding with the 400 paper I wrap it around a paint stick and sand, then tear off a length of it, sand some more and tear until it is all gone.  Put the paper in your bucket of water with some dish washing soap before you start using.  Take a sponge and keep dipping it in the water and wring the sponge above where you are sanding.  Dry the area every once in a while with a squeegee and paper towels to see if you have sanded it flat.  At this point you aren't shaping anymore, just getting ready for the top coats.  After the 400 you can spray the sealer and top coats.

This all sounds like a lot of steps, but once you know what you are doing you could finish what you have in the pictures in a day and be ready for paint.

I like the effort you have put into getting the cage over the driver's head as low as possible.  There are a number of cars that run that could sure benefit from doing that.

c ya and did you ever see if I have everything on the site like you wanted it?

Sum

Offline isiahstites

« Reply #44 on: April 27, 2008, 10:24:30 AM »
And where a mask! I have been cutting fiberglass for the last two weeks fitting my fairings and I must say my throat is pretty scratchy right now. I started wearing a mask last week and it seems to be getting better.

Car looks awesome!

Scott