Author Topic: Modified roadster construction  (Read 182790 times)

Offline Frankie7799

Re: Modified roadster construction
« Reply #165 on: August 22, 2013, 12:01:58 PM »
Mike some of my best memories from my teenage years are of the time I spent working on the family dragsters with my dad. As I got older and was able to buy my first race car, the first person there to help me was my dad. I learned a lot from my dad and I truly appreciate it. Im sure your boys enjoy their time with you and the knowledge you are passing on to them. Remind them how lucky they are that you turned over the keys to the family hot rod to them at such a young age, it took my my racing operation getting stolen and me being in my mid 30s before my dad let me drive their car  :-D

Sorry your Bonneville trip wasnt what you had planned but you learned some things and didnt tear up the car. Hope to meet you guys if you run EM in November. Passed by your pits but you guys were busy turning wrenches and I didnt want to bother you all.

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #166 on: August 22, 2013, 12:33:47 PM »
Freud;

"... struggled under the fuselage of a Hughes 500D helicopter as the rain pelted down on us while we attached two motorcycles to the

skids of the chopper."

OK, there has to be a story behind this; why were you attaching motorcycles to a helicopter?

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline Freud

« Reply #167 on: August 22, 2013, 12:50:09 PM »
It was a "can You top this" type of story.

Kenny Roberts, Cook Neilson, prior editor of CYCLE Magazine, my son and I did it in Hawaii.

I'll find the CYCLE Magazine that has the story and copy the story and attach it here.

It was an ADVENTURE, without any doubt.

Costly but clever and Oh So Satisfying.

Older boys and their, and other peoples, toys.

FREUD

Since '63

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #168 on: August 22, 2013, 12:53:12 PM »
Freud;

My wife and I are flying to Kauai in a few weeks and have a helicopter tour scheduled....I'm going to check on that story.  :-D

Offline Freud

« Reply #169 on: August 22, 2013, 12:59:35 PM »
You won't find any info on our adventure.

The pilot was killed several weeks later on his way to a fire fight on the Big Island

and the helicopter company that was bases on Kauai has closed. It was an Alaska

operation that added birds for tour flights and all of their equipment was destroyed

in an island storm.

Only the Shadow and a few of us demented oldsters have the facts.

Besides it was done on Maui.

A magazine editor wants to publish the book length version of the adventure.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #170 on: August 22, 2013, 01:02:12 PM »
Hah! a likely story, Freud.... :-D  The Shadow knows (but doesn't tell Lamont Cranston).

Offline Tman

« Reply #171 on: August 22, 2013, 01:24:48 PM »
I think Freud let that story slip in another thread if you dig for it?

Offline Freud

« Reply #172 on: August 22, 2013, 01:28:45 PM »
Helicopter pilots don't last that long in the islands.

It was a while ago,

FREUD
Since '63

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
Update 2014 Re: Modified roadster construction
« Reply #173 on: March 18, 2014, 12:36:46 AM »
For those who followed our progress getting ready for Bonneville 2013 thanks.
This will be an update showing some slight changes we will be making this season to improve either engine performance or access to components to making the car easier to maintenance or work on.

This first series of pictures shows how we moved the fuel pump to solve a hard to start engine due to vapor lock after warming up the motor before a pass. I have run many engines with the fuel pump mounted on the back of the dry sump pump. This time the headers got too close to the fuel out fitting causing vapor lock (See the first two pictures). So we decided to make the fuel pump a cable drive unit thus moving it away from the heat of the headers. We moved the oil filter and machined the "mid" mount motor plate to accept the fuel pump adapter and drive assy., next two pictures.
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #174 on: March 18, 2014, 12:41:27 AM »
Here are a few more shots of the install.

We would like to thank Aeromotive Fuel Systems for offering there services in upgrading the #701 modified roadster.
Michael LeFevers

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #175 on: March 18, 2014, 01:10:38 AM »
Trying to post more info but the site tries to help keep us from re-posting so it really makes it....... interesting sometimes......

Next up is the boost tube. Seems simple enough but to get it to fit the car with our packaging it needs to pass directly over the turbine housing. We have a heat blanket on the turbine but the boost tube more or less laid on the blanket. This of course is not a good thing so a rework of the boost tube is in process. Pictures (showing my lousy fab work) soon to come.
Here is a picture showing how it was......

More to come, El Mirage is in May!
Michael LeFevers

Offline redhotracing

« Reply #176 on: March 18, 2014, 08:09:26 AM »
Our charge pipe lays directing over the center bearing section; even with a blanket there
is definitely some serious ambient heat present. I would imagine the super cooling of that
A2W intercooler probably makes up for any major build-up. What kind of IAT's did you see
running last year?
Luke- Winston Salem, NC
Loring 2 Club- 201.252 (2010)
Ohio 2 Club- 203.712 (2013)

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
Re: Update 2014 Re: Modified roadster construction
« Reply #177 on: March 18, 2014, 08:34:24 AM »
For those who followed our progress getting ready for Bonneville 2013 thanks.
This will be an update showing some slight changes we will be making this season to improve either engine performance or access to components to making the car easier to maintenance or work on.

This first series of pictures shows how we moved the fuel pump to solve a hard to start engine due to vapor lock after warming up the motor before a pass. I have run many engines with the fuel pump mounted on the back of the dry sump pump. This time the headers got too close to the fuel out fitting causing vapor lock (See the first two pictures). So we decided to make the fuel pump a cable drive unit thus moving it away from the heat of the headers. We moved the oil filter and machined the "mid" mount motor plate to accept the fuel pump adapter and drive assy., next two pictures.

Most guys don't realize that so much of engine building/engineering is about the "packaging" of the components.    Fitting 10#'s of stuff into 5#'s of space . . . . . .

Nice clean solution and installation.
 :cheers:
Fordboy
Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline Frankie7799

« Reply #178 on: March 18, 2014, 02:50:15 PM »
That cable drive fuel pump setup looks sweet Mike. I didnt know such a thing existed. Should definitely take care of your vapor lock problem I would think. Thanks for posting the updates

Offline dw230

« Reply #179 on: March 18, 2014, 08:04:20 PM »
I believe the cable drive fuel pump has been widely used in NASCAR and sprint cars for years.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth