Author Topic: Modified roadster construction  (Read 182739 times)

Offline DND

Re: Modified roadster construction
« Reply #150 on: August 02, 2013, 08:25:54 AM »
Hi Mike

I remember a saying from the past ' round firm and fully packed ' it sure fit's your roadster, boy you have every nook & cranny filled up with stuff

Sure looks good and i hope go plenty fast up there at Speed City

G Don

Offline Freud

« Reply #151 on: August 02, 2013, 11:28:31 AM »
Nearer thy car to me.........

No spare room at the inn.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #152 on: August 05, 2013, 01:13:54 AM »
To quote Gene Wilder...

"Elevate Me"   :-o   no wait, I mean "Give my creature life!"   8-)

Yes we have fire in the pipes. Leaving for the salt on Thursday.
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #153 on: August 05, 2013, 10:02:06 AM »
GREAT news!!---can't wait to see you and the boys Mike!
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #154 on: August 05, 2013, 11:11:39 AM »
Awesome!!  :cheers: Can't wait to see you guys out there!!
Maybe there is no Heaven. Or maybe this is all pure gibberish. The product of a demented hill billy who has found a way to live out where the winds blow. To sleep late, have fun, drink whiskey, and drive fast on empty streets with nothing in mind except falling in love or getting arrested.    H.S. Thompson

Offline Frankie7799

« Reply #155 on: August 05, 2013, 02:17:58 PM »
Nothing better than some fire in the pipes. Safe travels Mike, see you this weekend.

Offline jl222

« Reply #156 on: August 05, 2013, 09:58:23 PM »

Looks like a 300 mile hat coming up, maybe 2 :cheers:

Car looks great :-D

Good luck JL222

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #157 on: August 21, 2013, 08:51:55 PM »
Bonneville 2013; Nothing to it!

For everyone who makes it to Bonneville for Speedweek, my hats off to you. Just the trek to the promised land of speed is a huge undertaking. If you put a tire to salt in anger you understand the tremendous amount of work it takes to field a race vehicle; be it car or bike.
The event itself that's put on by the SCTA/BNI is almost as hard to imagine being put on by a small but dedicated group of volunteers, simply amazing. Thanks to every one of you.
Our visit to the "Great White Dyno" was less then stellar. No mater how well you have or haven't done in the past at Bonneville it needs to take its pound of flesh from time to time. This year the good was minimal waiting when you arrived to the starting line. The bad was the record number of spins & several crashes with drivers/riders getting trips to Salt Lake City. Thankfully, everyone seems to be mending well.
So now for our little adventure: We made a checkout pass to the 3 Sat afternoon to make sure the new turbo system didn't melt anything or worse! The pass netted us a 217 mph 1/4 and a 219 mile. Not bad but something didn't seem right on the data log as the engine was on the rev limiter with no boost the last 10 seconds of the run. Further checking led us to a clutch that would not disengage. After checking around we were able to borrow a 3 disk clutch from Wayne Jesel to replace out 2 disk unit. We also borrowed a really nice engine “A” frame puller from the Mariani Team. I want to stop here and say “Thank you” to both Wayne Jesel & Dennis Mariani. This is what Bonneville is about.
After pulling the engine (just a side note here, I had always said I’d never pull an engine on the salt. All the tools I’d need would be at home, especially with a turbo motor.) We changed the clutch and had it all back together and running in about a day and a half. So now its Wednesday 5:45 pm and we get to continue our little misadventure. The courses were staying open until 7:00 pm. But the fuel truck closes at 6:00. So too the ice truck (we need ice for the intercooler) so I have Kenard Deeds run into town for ice after scouting which course had the shortest line while racing to the fuel truck to top off with gas. After getting to the line, adding ice to the intercooler, getting the driver belted in, it was 6:50. Start the engine and I realized I had left the intercooler pump running for the last 15 minutes or so. Well this is not part of my tune up; so the engine was hard to keep running and as Kevin drove off I could see black smoke from the exhaust. Shortly after it backfired pretty hard and Kevin shut it off not sure why it was doing weird things.
So Thursday morning we go through our standard check out and warm the oil to start the car. Well now it won’t start. Traced it to the ignition system but with all the issues on the courses traction wise and our lack of time doing the check outs we wanted to do it was time to call it a meet.
We see lots of promise in our turbo package and feel lucky to have made it to race. It’s not as easy as many people think to run on the salt. Many of my neighbors did not fair as well as us. The team next door dropped a valve on Sat after setting 2 records at El Mirage earlier this year. Another team a few pits over sent the rods out of the block, and yet another over heated and grabbed a piston. So our car came home got cleaned up and I’ll fix the little issues we have and carry on. We might just run El Mirage and see how that goes.

I need to thank several other companies and people.
Edelbrock Data & ECU, Lucas Oil, Jesel Valve Train, Burns Stainless, Arias Pistons, Centerline Welding, Performance Solutions, D & A Engineering, BPE Heads, Isky Cams, Kirk Harkins, Jamie Wagner, Bob Dalton, Dave Isley, my sons Ryan & Kevin, and the one who tolerates all this madness, my wife Judy.
I’m sorry if I left anyone out, there were so many people who helped in so many ways.
“I Thank You All”   
Michael LeFevers

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #158 on: August 21, 2013, 08:54:08 PM »
A couple more from Zane @ landspeedphotos.com. Check out what he has...
Michael LeFevers

Offline Kiwi Paul

« Reply #159 on: August 21, 2013, 11:18:48 PM »
Mike....Thanks alot for your company and knowledge during our `working` hours this year. Good to see the boys as well....I have no doubt that you will sort things out. Are you still going with the business plan you told me about? Will be a shame, but I can see your point..... :-P

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #160 on: August 21, 2013, 11:28:50 PM »
Paul, it's been great to spend time with you and the crew. Working for BNI and trying to run a car is a challenge as you well know. We will indeed sort it out and I already have a plan in place.
As far as "the other plan" goes, some things went my way so we'll wait and see.

See you next year.
Michael LeFevers

Offline Freud

« Reply #161 on: August 21, 2013, 11:30:58 PM »
i can't begin to imagine the Father's pride as he works with two knowledgable and talented sons.

I experienced it one time in Hawaii as my son, Gary, and I struggled under the fuselage of a

Hughes 500D helicopter as the rain pelted down on us while we attached two motorcycles to the

skids of the chopper. I was jammed and Gary said to me, "No problem Dad. I've just about

finished this side and I'll get yours." I turned back to my challenge and it went together like it

did when we made the brackets.

What goes around comes around and when it's our kid that is alongside of us during a

challenging time..........ain't nothing better for old Dad.

And I qualify as "old" Dad. Mike is a talented young Father and the kids must still be

teenagers.

So what did Ryan and Kevin do after they loaded up? They went and volunteered as

course workers.

The whole family is headed in the right direction.

Judy and Mike.......ya done good.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #162 on: August 21, 2013, 11:49:17 PM »
Thanks Doc, it has been and continues to be a wonderful blessing teaching and working with my sons on the race car.  8-)
Michael LeFevers

Offline desotoman

« Reply #163 on: August 22, 2013, 12:04:01 AM »
Mike,

Sorry to hear about the less than eventful outing. You will be back on your game in no time at all.

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline Tman

« Reply #164 on: August 22, 2013, 11:18:45 AM »
Mike, you have been an inspiration for many years. I am looking forward to getting my dad out on the salt with us. You thought those idiots on OCC argued? Wait til you see us!  :-D Although, we are better in recent years, I haven't thrown him off a project in 7 years or so :cheers: