Author Topic: Modified roadster construction  (Read 182215 times)

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
Re: Modified roadster construction
« Reply #120 on: June 13, 2013, 01:46:48 AM »
Here we are trying to get all the things done that need to be done to convert a normally aspirated engine into a turbocharged engine.

First picture shows the layout from the front of the car. Fuel tank, intercooler water tank, and the charge-air cooler. Both the fuel and water tanks are stainless, thanks again to Bob Dalton at D & A   :cheers:

Next shows the mockup engine with the intake manifold and the wiring harness for the EFI (ran a carb before) and some of the placment of other items.

The next picture shows the exhaust out of the turbo. This part is all fabricated, nothing but the v-band flange is used as is due to packaging, still in process but the magic of long time friend Kirk Harkins.  :-)

Next on the list is the wastegate exhaust layout and about a million other things. I might even have all the parts for the engine in the next week or two. Of course then the dyno thrash begins.....  8-)

Oh, in 35 years of running turbo cars on the salt I've never run a BOV (blow off valve). This engine will be no exception.....  :-D
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 01:52:08 AM by Dynoroom »
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #121 on: June 13, 2013, 05:41:39 AM »
nice Mike--- nice to have an example of a clean installation---lol
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Tman

« Reply #122 on: June 13, 2013, 10:20:57 AM »
Mike, can you elaborate on the non/BOV thinking? Setup is looking great.

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #123 on: June 13, 2013, 10:21:53 AM »
Mike, well thought out and clean installation like all of your work. :cheers:
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline DND

« Reply #124 on: June 13, 2013, 11:43:23 AM »
Hi Mike

Looks like 2 waste gates does that give you better throttle responce?

Don

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #125 on: June 14, 2013, 10:20:39 AM »
Tman,
the BOV issue is simple (at least to me). The BOV (blow off valve) showed up about 20 years ago. The turbocharger itself has been around for over 100 years now. All the years before the late 1980's and no one knew they needed a BOV. I know that turbos have advanced, but I still use the basic designs (a whole nuther subject) in my system builds. I don't need ball bearings, ceramics, thin quick spool shafts or any other trick stuff. So for me, no BOV required. I have many engines running and setting records on the salt with no BOV so I'm okay without one. I also feel it's something that you get sold on because you "got" to have it. Well in some applications you do, just not mine.
I guess it also means I'm just a stubborn old guy.   :-o

Don,
the two wastegates are used here due to the mass flow of the system. I felt a single 44 mm gate would not flow enough to allow for the staged boost control I want to imploy and would also contribute to "boost creep" where the boost pressure keeps climbing beyond the set point because you can't remove enough heat or pressure. I did have a larger wastegate that would have worked as a single unit but packaging became the issue for me.
Michael LeFevers

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #126 on: June 14, 2013, 10:23:15 AM »
Don, here is a picture of the size differance of the two wastegates.
Michael LeFevers

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #127 on: June 14, 2013, 12:08:37 PM »
 :-o wow
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline DND

« Reply #128 on: June 14, 2013, 04:08:47 PM »
Hi Mike

Thanks for the lesson as i'am learning as i go along here, was around Bob Pattersons Unlimited Hydroplane 30 yrs ago and learned a bit.

Kind of a different animal since the Turbo Allison is 1710 cid and had to have a ton of air going into that beauty

All of the engines i built for 20 yrs were unblown , but the last one had a 6 on it for street rod and i told him to be very carefull but he wrapped it around a pole playing around smoking the rears

Plus i'am learning form Tony and his turbo GMC 6 roadster

Don

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #129 on: June 14, 2013, 04:16:00 PM »
No problem Don, we're all still learning. I'm always interested in what others say and do. I may do it differently but I still look and listen and respect!
I also still run Patterson dry sump tanks.   8-)
Michael LeFevers

Offline DND

« Reply #130 on: June 14, 2013, 09:17:11 PM »
I raced with Tom Patterson for 6 yrs doing the engine for his Crackerbox the ' Sparkler ' Priceless

Don

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #131 on: July 08, 2013, 02:18:10 PM »
Well work continues at a fever pace. Here is Kevin working on wheeling the "power dome" aka the engine bubble. He's about halfway through this little task. I'll let you guys ask him how much time he has invested...

The crank is laid in the block and the basic assy should go smooth as the engine has been together before. I hope to finish the long block before the weekend. Now the accessories on the outside might take a bit of time to fit up. Then we Dyno test and map the engine. Remember, we ran a carburator before now it's a turbo and efi.    :cheers:
Michael LeFevers

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #132 on: July 08, 2013, 02:30:06 PM »
Here's a little more of the engine for you to see.
First is the crank, lots of work here. Then a shot of two camshafts. The top is the one being used in this build. The lower one is a standard small block chevy roller cam with big block journals. Quite a bit different huh?
The last 2 pictures show the piston squirters and the way they look installed in the block.
More soon.....  :-)
Michael LeFevers

Offline DND

« Reply #133 on: July 08, 2013, 04:55:20 PM »
Hi MIke

What a neat looking crank as i quit building engines in 86' right before all the neat stuff started to come on the market, miss that part of the engine building

BTW who made your crank ?

Don

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #134 on: July 10, 2013, 09:59:31 AM »
Well work continues at a fever pace.
   :cheers:

Uh... kinda sounds like a Lefever pace.
See ya on the salt  8-)
Stainless