Author Topic: turbo jetting starting point [Studebaker]  (Read 6450 times)

Offline barrybill

turbo jetting starting point [Studebaker]
« on: August 02, 2014, 10:31:10 PM »
On our 130 Club Stude I  am setting up the turbo on a blow thru Afb.  The engine is a 289 Studebaker with a reground cam and some minor head work. I know I will have to dial it in but anyone have any ideas for a good place to start.  Barry

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
Re: turbo jetting starting point [Studebaker]
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2014, 11:57:53 PM »
On our 130 Club Stude I  am setting up the turbo on a blow thru Afb.  The engine is a 289 Studebaker with a reground cam and some minor head work. I know I will have to dial it in but anyone have any ideas for a good place to start.  Barry

Has the carb been setup for blow thru?  If so and you didn't do it whoever did should be able to give you a starting point.  We have a C & S and they provided  us with a starting point,

Sum

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2014, 12:22:28 AM »
Start studying the R2 Stude, 63-64. 
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline barrybill

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2014, 12:22:01 PM »
I have modified the carb. per a lot of internet information. I went with jetting and metering rods suggested by an online post. The motor fires up fine without the turbo but is to rich [it starts to load up at 2000 RPM] I have found a few suggested settings on line so maybe go back to R-2 setting and them a couple jet sizes smaller for Bonnevilles altitude. I was hoping someone had been there done that. I do have a 5 wire oxygen sensor to fine tune after I get the initial set up going.  This is my first turbo experience so I am a little unsure of the online info being correct for my application. Thanks for the replies. Barry

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2014, 12:41:38 PM »
I have modified the carb. per a lot of internet information. I went with jetting and metering rods suggested by an online post. The motor fires up fine without the turbo but is to rich [it starts to load up at 2000 RPM] I have found a few suggested settings on line so maybe go back to R-2 setting and them a couple jet sizes smaller for Bonnevilles altitude. I was hoping someone had been there done that. I do have a 5 wire oxygen sensor to fine tune after I get the initial set up going.  This is my first turbo experience so I am a little unsure of the online info being correct for my application. Thanks for the replies. Barry

I appreciate what you are doing and have done but considering the expense of a blown engine I think I'd go with one of the commercial blow-thru carbs.  Some reputable ones are now about $600 for lower HP numbers.

I'd also suggest that if you aren't doing it that you  data-log the O2 wideband reading with the throttle position (TPS) and manifold pressure and rpm to get an accurate picture of what is going on....

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/Hooley%202013/13%20-%20hooley-construction-2013-29.html

You don't need all that is on that link but some would sure help and cost less than $300 to do if you have a compatible wideband controller sensor.

Good luck,

Sum

Offline PackardV8

• New folks
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2015, 12:02:23 PM »
Hi, Guys,

The other half of the equation is distributor ignition control.  The R2 advance curve is in the Avanti Shop Manual.  It's basically 18 degrees all in by 1200 RPMs.  Since this is a race-only build, consider eliminating the centrifugal advance and running it locked at 26-28 degrees or whatever works best on a chassis dyno.

jack vines