Author Topic: v4 bgl lakester class  (Read 6955 times)

Offline tpotts

• New folks
v4 bgl lakester class
« on: August 01, 2006, 10:40:30 AM »
Is there a v4 bgl lakester class.  If so can you run any ovh head mod  except overhead cam & any blower other than turbo? Thanks Tom
Be Good and You Will Be Lonesome: Mark Twain

Offline Stan Back

v4 bgl lakester class
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2006, 12:02:01 PM »
Invest in a Rule Book and your questions will be answered.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline tpotts

• New folks
v4 bgl lakester class
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2006, 12:12:58 PM »
Quote from: Stan Back
Invest in a Rule Book and your questions will be answered.

I invested in one a year ago and never received any thing although I made a call about it.  I am currently out of the country and will enter the raffel again when I return.  Great Help Stan :lol:

Offline Stan Back

v4 bgl lakester class
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2006, 12:23:49 PM »
I see by another post that you already have the car under construction.  You have great courage to go ahead without the book!  Good luck!  You could call the SCTA office and I'm sure she could expedite one to you.  Perhaps in the mean time we could have a car-naming contest!
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline RichFox

v4 bgl lakester class
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2006, 12:26:29 PM »
I believe that OHC heads are allowed and that Roy Creel runs one. You are correct on the no turbo rule. However all this is my opinion not fact.

dwarner

v4 bgl lakester class
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2006, 12:59:20 PM »
Tom,

In lieu of a rulebook here is your answer. Yes, a V4/BGL class does exist. The listed record of 102 should be in the V4F/BGL class.  This record was overlooked when the V4F class was expanded this year.

A little research will have to be done but, I feel confident that the class is open.

No turbos allowed.

DW

Offline tpotts

• New folks
V4
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2006, 01:13:06 PM »
Thanks DW.  From the little information I have here,I could not find a record for V4 bgl.  I was wondering if it was open.  Would there be a minimum for record.  Who would I ask??  I am at the initial planning stage of my project, located tank, ordered ardun head. Also wonder if the blower has to be of the period?   But have not made any drastic conclusions on class although v4 seems to be a good start.  Will  Get book and began serious work in Sept when I return to States.

Offline RichFox

v4 bgl lakester class
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2006, 02:27:27 PM »
Any blower is fine, as long as it's crank driven. Ardun head? I have not seen a pre '35 Ford or other 4 cylinder engine using an Ardun head. I have seen a late Ford small block alunimum head on the Murray roadster that seems to run very well. And I see some aftermarket OHV conversion heads advertised. Do you get the FAST news letter? Or the Secerets Of Speed Society? Both are dedicated to 'Banger racing.

dwarner

v4 bgl lakester class
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2006, 02:52:06 PM »
Tom,

If the record is open there wil be no minimum for Bonneville.

DW

Offline RichFox

v4 bgl lakester class
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2006, 03:06:09 PM »
By the way, I have torsion bars on my roadster. Parallel to the frame rails with a rocker are on the front connected to the spindle on one end, and the shock at the other. It pivots on the bars end with an adjustable stop on the other end. I think it's Morris.

Offline hitz

v4 bgl lakester class
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2006, 05:39:33 PM »
Rich,

How about a picture of that spindle attachment! Sounds interesting.

Harv

Offline poppy

• New folks
v4 bgl lakester class
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2006, 08:56:42 PM »
FYI H & H antique Ford engine rebuilding (4bangersforever.com) sell an Ardun overhead valve conversion for Model A & B Ford engines.

I can understand Tom's frustration with sending money to the SCTA office for a rulebook and not receiving it.

In mid-May of this year I sent a check for $30 to the SCTA office for a subscription to the SCTA Racing News. After two long distance phone calls, one to the SCTA office and one to the editor of the Racing News, I received promises but no copies of the Racing News. I realize that this is an all volunteer organization but 2-1/2 months is a long wait.  I just wish that I had my $30 back.

Offline poppy

• New folks
v4 bgl lakester class
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2006, 08:57:21 PM »
FYI H & H antique Ford engine rebuilding (4bangersforever.com) sell an Ardun overhead valve conversion for Model A & B Ford engines.

I can understand Tom's frustration with sending money to the SCTA office for a rulebook and not receiving it.

In mid-May of this year I sent a check for $30 to the SCTA office for a subscription to the SCTA Racing News. After two long distance phone calls, one to the SCTA office and one to the editor of the Racing News, I received promises but no copies of the Racing News. I realize that this is an all volunteer organization but 2-1/2 months is a long wait.  I just wish that I had my $30 back.

Offline NathanStewart

v4 bgl lakester class
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2006, 10:30:07 PM »
Quote from: dwarner
Tom,

In lieu of a rulebook here is your answer. Yes, a V4/BGL class does exist. The listed record of 102 should be in the V4F/BGL class.  This record was overlooked when the V4F class was expanded this year.

A little research will have to be done but, I feel confident that the class is open.

No turbos allowed.

DW

Wow my first post on here and I'm bringing up a thread that's 3 months old!

Anyways, I would like to make a bit of an addition to what Mr. Warner has mentioned.  You can in fact run turbos on vintage engines IF you're not running in a vintage body class.  For example:

V4/BGR - No turbos allowed

V4/BGS - Turbos allowed

We (my dad, brother, and I) had plans on running a turbo setup on our flathead four-banger that we had in Cree's lakester but a rod let go during our record run (142 mph on a flatty four is pretty good, eh?).  Oh well... maybe next year.  :wink:
El Mirage 200 MPH Club Member

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
THE MYSTERY RULE BOOK
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2006, 10:51:01 PM »
BBB from this site has the book on line and can transmit it to you if you say something nice about bikes.
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"