Author Topic: How to test your race vehicle at Speedweek?  (Read 9500 times)

JohnR

How to test your race vehicle at Speedweek?
« on: July 31, 2006, 06:15:48 PM »
I know that at Speedweek you cannot ride/drive a race vehicle under it's own power anywhere except on the official course.

With that in mind, I have 2 questions:

1. Until a vehicle has been presented to tech then it is not yet a race vehicle. Is this correct? A real world example is the street legal roadsters that drive to the event under their own power and then transform into race vehicles once they go to tech, then un-transform when the event is over and they drive off the salt and go home. Imagine using your racebike as a pitbike for the first couple of days of speedweek then  presenting it to tech? Of course, I'm not talking about a M/C streamliner or other type vehicle here.

2. What happens if you remove the race vehicle from the salt during the event?. Say in the middle of speedweek you throw your (street-legal) race bike into the back of your pick-up and run out to the middle of the desert for some "testing" then come back the next day and race it again?

I guess I am looking for all the ways that you can operate your race vehicle for testing during Speedweek that do not break the letter or the spirit of the SCTA rule nor require waiting in line for 6 hours or taking up valuable track time.

Any thoughts?

Offline joea

« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2006, 07:25:54 PM »
we have done that........evidentally it was not a problem.......

Joe :)

Offline Freud

Test procedure
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2006, 11:06:45 PM »
Seemed to work for Burt Munro, didn't it.

Just have a NZ drivers license.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline NArias3

• Arias Components
    • Arias Components Engineered
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2006, 12:54:13 AM »
Quote from: joea
we have done that........evidentally it was not a problem.......

Joe :)

Here's proof...

Nick 3rd.
SCTA Gear Grinder.

https://ariascomponents.com

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2006, 10:20:30 AM »
First what would be what "out in the desert" mean?  

Second, who would be there for your safety?

Other than that, many have tested at El Mirage during the week or out on deserted hiways/roads all over this country.
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

JohnR

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2006, 12:13:30 PM »
Quote from: jimmy six
First what would be what "out in the desert" mean?  

Second, who would be there for your safety?

Other than that, many have tested at El Mirage during the week or out on deserted hiways/roads all over this country.

Hi J.D.

To me, "out in the desert" means off the salt flats.
As to safety, I would put my hands in the great gods of common sense!

I'm not talking about 200 MPH runs or anything stupid like that, sometimes a 40 MPH run will answer your question. I would hate to sit in line and essentially blow an entire day just to run up to 40 mph to see if a problem is solved.

John

Offline LSR Mike

• First Pass-June 25, 2000; Muroc Dry Lake
    • Mike & Paula's Site
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2006, 03:50:20 PM »
There have many cases of people running off to SLC for Fixes (Nish comes to mind) so leaving the Salt after Tech seems to be ok. I once got heartburn over a Roadster running around the El Mirage lakebed on Saturday, till I learned about pre-tech/post-tech classification. I've seen the bike guys use rollers to run up thru the gears and then there are the car guys that put them up on jackstands and run thru the gears to warm things up (not that it will do you any good at speedeweek this year) So, what's your point mike? Oh yeah, there are many ways to check out your ride on and off the salt be it car or motorcycle.
Mike M.
BNI/ECTA
ECTA Record Holder/Former Bonneville Record Holder

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
Off track testing:
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2006, 11:51:13 PM »
A couple of years ago I was hanging out with the 6969 AFS car of Junior Kurtz and they wanted to test their air shifter, the driver Kenny Hoover, who is older than dirt and knows almost everone talked to the "officials" and got permission to do a test run but they couldn't exceed 100 and  had to have the fire extinguisher and Kenny had to be fully suited up, both of which make good sense. So Junior dragged the liner out west and north of the pits, fired it off and Kenny ran it through the gears. Everything worked and he ran 310 later in the day. So you can "test" if you know who to talk to.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline Richard Thomason

• http://www.dannyboystreamliner.com
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2006, 01:17:11 PM »
I have pictures of the Danny Boy at 200+ with the chute out, next to the guard rail with the 55 mph sign right there on US 97. We ran when it was being repaved, the day before the HWY was turned back over to the state. We were just getting ready to fire up when a state highway inspector came by. He went ballistic and wanted to know just what the blank blank we were doing. I told him that we had an experimental high speed pneumatic compactor and we were testing it for the contractor. He just shook his head and left. Lots of opportunities out there.

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2006, 02:09:23 PM »
Quote from: Richard Thomason
I told him that we had an experimental high speed pneumatic compactor and we were testing it for the contractor. He just shook his head and left.

Now that's funny.... :D

Don't forget the apples, you can't beat that new hybred you guys have. Tastes great!
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline interested bystander

testing
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2006, 09:23:01 PM »
Anybody consider the local DRAG STRIP?- the country abounds in them!

Danny boy crew, you are too cool!- And you have the most beautiful(y) shaped racer (in my opinion) that ever graced the salt!
5 mph in pit area (clothed)

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2006, 11:42:49 AM »
We went to the "time tunnel" drags done at the airport a few years ago.  As I remember, one guy sold the entries, ran tech and the starting line, along with the announcing duties.  

You could take a passenger if you wanted.  The program didn't run real quickly as the strip was used for the return road, too.

Just like the old days, people unloaded their spare tires, seats and what-all on the ground, had a few beers (surreptitiously), chose each other off, made a wager and settled it.

We stayed about a half hour, saw almost everybody run, and called it a night.

I'm sure they'd be glad to see a Race Car go thru the gears.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2006, 03:47:15 PM »
I told him that we had an experimental high speed pneumatic compactor and we were testing it for the contractor. He just shook his head and left. Lots of opportunities out there.

Try this to a German police.....at first he would gave you a fat ticket....
and than he would call the asylum.........if you got luck...for himself.. :D
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

dwarner

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2006, 09:03:20 PM »
Damn it John!!

You changed your avatr again and I reread all your posts.

DW

JohnR

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2006, 09:27:03 PM »
Quote from: dwarner
Damn it John!!

You changed your avatr again and I reread all your posts.

DW

Not my fault, blame Sumner's wife.