Author Topic: Impound  (Read 4851 times)

Offline Ron Gibson

Impound
« on: July 30, 2014, 01:30:43 PM »
This question is for Dan. If I should be fortunate enough to visit you at Warnersville, would it be OK to drain the engine water in impound and refill next morning during warm-up? Don't want to take any chances with water seepage or rules infraction.

Ron
Life is an abrasive. Whether you get ground away or polished to a shine depends on what you are made of.

Offline MRK

Re: Impound
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2014, 05:26:34 PM »
I'll chime in on this since I'll be working with DW in impound this year and we just discussed this.
You have the 4 hours max to service your vehicle in impound after your qualifying run. The following day DW and I will be there at approximately 6am to allow you access to your vehicle. You'll have about an hour to get it together as the gate closes behind all the racers headed out for their back up runs at 7am. Be out the gate or moving towards it at 7am or you won't make that second pass. We will of course try to be as "racer friendly" as possible but the other racers needs us to be as prompt as possible so we don't hold up the show.
The short version............yes, but your time in the morning at impound is very limited.
The impound directions are in the newsletter in your SW tube as well. :-D
DW, care to add anything??
"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting." Steve McQueen

Offline Buickguy3

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2014, 05:47:44 PM »
  If you drain the water on the Salt in Impound, best make sure it's clean water or bring a container. Dan will get very testy if you drain out rusty water. [And you don't want Dan testy].  :evil:
    Doug  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
I keep going faster and faster and I don't know why. All I have to do is live and die.
                   [America]

Offline dw230

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2014, 09:20:49 PM »
Ron,

I prefer not to drain water within the area with so much foot traffic. I will allow you to remove your car from impound, keeping in clear view, to drain the water in an unpopulated area. Following the drain, return directly to the impound.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2014, 09:29:23 PM »
Slightly different situation:  When our bike went to Impound we had to tear down the motor so Dan or one of his proxies could do the direct measurement.  We placed a bucket of some type under the motor and caught the juice that came out.  As I remember - the liquid was green.  It was before the present ban on anti-freeze.  Whatever -- we managed to catch it all.  I wouldn't be surprised it you can do your drain and fill that way - even if your refill is with fresh water.  Just drink from the jug that you're going to pour into the cooling system.  No vodka allowed. :evil:
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline MRK

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2014, 10:31:37 AM »
Silly me. I thought that when the vehicle was drained it would be into some sort of container and not onto the ground / salt. Why would you consider draining anything directly onto the salt? Even the "water" coming out of an engine is contaminated to some degree.

Offline Ron Gibson

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2014, 10:34:04 AM »
I use water wetter so I intended to catch and maybe re-use. Just wanted to be sure it was legal. Trying to avoid possible stumbling blocks.  

Ron
Life is an abrasive. Whether you get ground away or polished to a shine depends on what you are made of.

Offline MRK

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2014, 11:18:02 AM »
I use water wetter so I intended to catch and maybe re-use. Just wanted to be sure it was legal. Trying to avoid possible stumbling blocks.  

Ron

:cheers:

Offline Buickguy3

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2014, 04:15:58 PM »
   A couple of years ago I saw a guy draining the vilest rusty bilgewater on the Salt in the staging lanes. An SCTA staging coordinator saw him and promptly booted him out of the line and told him not to come back until all of the discolored Salt and mess were gone. About an hour later I saw him come back [very embarrassed, and rightfully so] with a bucket and a shovel. He also brought fresh Salt to replace what he dug up. It took him almost an hour to fix it. If he is reading this I'm sure he will remember.
    Doug  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
I keep going faster and faster and I don't know why. All I have to do is live and die.
                   [America]