Author Topic: SpeedWeek 2014 - the event per se  (Read 261527 times)

Offline fastesthonda_jim

• Ready to Rock 2003
Re: SpeedWeek 2014 - the event per se
« Reply #90 on: August 08, 2014, 09:02:03 AM »
Nice concept, Stainless.  Roll cage needs a bit of work but since it appears to be a nice "upholstery magnet", maybe tech won't notice.
Knapp
2006 SCTA High Points Champeen
2006 Dirty "2" Wrench Of The Year
Bonneville "2" Club 2003
El Mirage Dirty "2"'s 2006
Bonneville Records: G/GS, F/GS (Boy)  G/FS (Girl)
El Mirage Records: F/BFS, F/FS, F/GS, I/FS, I/GS, K/BGS
FIA Records A, II, 8
Unlimited License
300mph line qualified (305.129 best mile speed)
The older half of San Diego's Fastest Couple
2016 Man of Distinction Award
DLRA 2019 Top Speed of The Meet (309.438 Mile - 323.3 GPS)

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #91 on: August 08, 2014, 10:05:05 AM »
Sparky: Mute
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline scrapiron aka Park Olson

• New folks
  • Bonneville, '65,,139 in a Falcon convertible
« Reply #92 on: August 08, 2014, 10:31:47 AM »
Been following all this from Virginia,,When I had my one try at the salt in 1965, I know, ancient history. Bonneville Speed "Week" was three days long with the water. :-(
Hope you guys have better shot at it than that.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 10:33:27 AM by scrapiron aka Park Olson »

Offline yamagamma

« Reply #93 on: August 08, 2014, 11:02:25 AM »
Sumner wrote "I was there in 92 or93 I believe when there seemed to of been this much water or more on a Sunday night when it rained at the end of the second day.  They did have a short course up and running on Wed."

That was 92. Everyone got caught in a big storm and evacuated the salt on Sunday.  On Wednesday when we got back out the dumpsters were being filled with aluminum chairs and tents,  that had been eaten by the salt water brine. Pits were a disaster. I ran on the short course on the Wednesday and it had a 1 inch layer of slush on the salt. Not fun! Most of the bikes packed it in and went home.

Never underestimate an old guy on a Yamaha!

Offline bubruins

« Reply #94 on: August 08, 2014, 02:17:22 PM »
From the SCTA Facebook page 5min ago:

Salt Report, Friday August 8 2014, 12:00 Noon: Your SCTA volunteer crew has a few people out on the salt today picking up signage and erecting course markers. The Bonneville Salt Flats are still wet, but are showing signs of drying and white salt crystals are starting to reappear. There is a light breeze from the east and bright hot sunshine to assist with drying. The SCTA is still upbeat and we are seeing water levels reduce quite quickly. While the pits are still covered in a couple inches of water, the race courses are showing the greatest amount of improvement, with most spots being in less than an inch of water. The pic attached is a wheel on the Flatfire trailer which shows about 3" of recession since 7pm last night. Looking good! The plan is still to proceed as we stated in last nights Salt Report.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #95 on: August 08, 2014, 02:39:32 PM »
It's about half past noon as I sit here at the Bend in the Road.  Nancy and I just made a trip to the pits and have this information/report for you.

First of all, the water is warm enough to stand in without shivering.  Second, it's muddier than I expected - lotsa silt on top of the salt.  Third, there's lots of scum floating around -- mostly wetted dust, I suppose.

Oh, wait a minute -- you don't care about that stuff, do you?  You want to know how deep it is.  Why didn't you say so sooner?

At our pit it's 5 or 6 inches deep.  Well up above my ankles, that is.  Deep enough that the wheel rims on the trailer are just touching the water.  But I heard the folks out working on the courses report that the water on the #3 course at about the 2 was maybe 3/4" deep.  And the word is that the courses are drying well and it's not so deep on any of them as it was.

At Land's End it's busy with people standing there and begging each and every vehicle that comes back off the salt for information.  Here at the Bend -- it's very busy with people milling around at the SCTA sales trailer, the Save the Salt trailer, and as soon as I post this - I hope they'll all come visit the SSS truck where I'll be selling Salt Talks t-shirts.  If you're in town and wondering whether to come out here to see what's going on -- well, hey, why not?  It's quite nice - mid 70s and a gentle breeze.  See you soon, right?

But first -- speaking of Salt Talks shirts -- we rescued some of the shirts that had been ordered by the sponsors.  If you're out here and want yours - come find me and the truck.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 02:50:10 PM by Seldom Seen Slim »
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline fastesthonda_jim

• Ready to Rock 2003
« Reply #96 on: August 08, 2014, 03:05:41 PM »
SSS,
See if you can find Ron Main and George Callaway.  Stand 'em ankle deep at the starting line, both of 'em facing up the course and have 'em start walkin' and talkin' (neither one has to listen... just talk).  Should have it dried out by noon tomorrow.
Of course then have 'em come back, walkin' through the pits.
2006 SCTA High Points Champeen
2006 Dirty "2" Wrench Of The Year
Bonneville "2" Club 2003
El Mirage Dirty "2"'s 2006
Bonneville Records: G/GS, F/GS (Boy)  G/FS (Girl)
El Mirage Records: F/BFS, F/FS, F/GS, I/FS, I/GS, K/BGS
FIA Records A, II, 8
Unlimited License
300mph line qualified (305.129 best mile speed)
The older half of San Diego's Fastest Couple
2016 Man of Distinction Award
DLRA 2019 Top Speed of The Meet (309.438 Mile - 323.3 GPS)

Offline Gman

« Reply #97 on: August 08, 2014, 03:09:29 PM »
What is the status of the long course?  Is it above water yet?
It's time to stop reading about history and start creating it

Offline Gman

« Reply #98 on: August 08, 2014, 03:32:55 PM »
Nevermind, there is an update on SCTA Facebook page
It's time to stop reading about history and start creating it

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #99 on: August 08, 2014, 04:21:20 PM »
I don't get facebook on my dial phone, whats the answer?
  Sid.

Offline Richard 2

• 2 Richards Racing
« Reply #100 on: August 08, 2014, 05:16:20 PM »
Sid,  At noon The water in the pits are up to the lower rim of the wheels on the flatfire trailer.
The volunteer I spoke with said the water was over the #1 coarse but #2 was looking better. and If I under stood correctly They think #3 and #4 will be good to go Monday. As of now we are not allowed on the salt until Sunday.
219.648 mph F/BFMR 2010 Record
4 cylinder Esslinger
Could of had a V8

Offline Richard 2

• 2 Richards Racing
« Reply #101 on: August 08, 2014, 06:01:49 PM »
Pictures of the end of road Noon Friday. One pic of the Water and One of the new salt lay down, Witch seems to be very hard.
(I hope this works , not acting correct)
219.648 mph F/BFMR 2010 Record
4 cylinder Esslinger
Could of had a V8

Offline racefanwfo

• jenks worlds fastest pitbull
« Reply #102 on: August 08, 2014, 06:30:22 PM »
 Salt Report Thurs Aug 7th

After reviewing the conditions, it appears that the courses are drying and we expect continued improvement. The board has decided to start site cleanup on Saturday Aug 9.

Participants will be allowed onto the salt Sunday for pit selection and inspection. We hope to begin racing on Monday Aug 11, based on course conditions.

The SCTA Merchandise Trailer will be open for business on the entry roadfor all SCTA products.
The speed that you wish to achieve is only limited by the depth of your wallet.

Offline maj

« Reply #103 on: August 08, 2014, 06:51:37 PM »
With a bit of experiance with delayed meetings i can say there are a lot of interesting things in the Wendover area for those that are bored
Tourist information has been a big help
but some of the things we have checked out in the last few yrs are
Raptor centre where they catch and tag various hawks and eagles , 2.4 mile walk up a steep slope to over 9000 ft  very fit only need try (i nearly gave up ) but the views are great and the guys/gals tell a great story  , about 24 miles up the Ely road  then in some

Blue lake , again up the Ely road , but down on salt lake level

Caves in the cliff faces , realy good ones that were used by the airforce guys are closed but there are others freely accessable if you dont mind a bit of a walk

Silver mountains have some great views across the racetrack , if the road is not too wet you can do a half loop crossing the saddle near the pits or a full loop right out toward floating mountain , do check road conditions , the fine dust washes easy and becomes very soft if wet
Also in the silver mountains there is the remains of a 1940's aircraft, yet to get to this one

There is also some historical information on a pioneer trail that first settlers took

And all the history down at or near the airport  

in no particular order

Car park from the raptor centre

Car park from the raptor centre without zoom

some of the guys counting and catching the birds

another of the reashearchers with a bird ready for release

View of the racetrack from the silvermountains at about the longtrack 1-2 mile

view from the Needle at the back of Wendover towards the end of the road

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #104 on: August 08, 2014, 07:30:53 PM »
A couple of pictures:

Some of the characters at the bend in the road, Thursday (road to Land's End was closed at that time)

Ron Jollief(?sp?) (w/assistants) officially inspecting the Milwaukie Midget in the Rainbow parking lot, Friday, noonish

"Stan Back" discussing roadsters with Marty Strode, builder of the newly-built 351, parked next to the MM

More to come

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!