Author Topic: SpeedWeek 2014 - the event per se  (Read 261741 times)

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
Re: SpeedWeek 2014 - the event per se
« Reply #75 on: August 07, 2014, 07:38:13 PM »
Some pictures from today (Thur.) around 4 pm.  I told Ruth I'm glad I'm not the one trying to decide what to do.  I thought it looked better in person vs. the pictures posted this morning but I have no idea what it is like further down.

I was there in 92 or93 I believe when there seemed to of been this much water or more on a Sunday night when it rained at the end of the second day.  They did have a short course up and running on Wed. but the pits were in water so it was still not a good deal and the people running already had their pits setup.  I wouldn't want to go out and setup in the water and I doubt that would be an option but sounds like we should know something tonight or tomorrow morning,

Sum

« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 07:40:54 PM by Sumner »

Offline Richard 2

• 2 Richards Racing
« Reply #76 on: August 07, 2014, 07:38:42 PM »
It is wet, wet, wet. And here we sit :?
219.648 mph F/BFMR 2010 Record
4 cylinder Esslinger
Could of had a V8

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #77 on: August 07, 2014, 07:42:01 PM »
4 more pictures,

Sum

« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 07:45:32 PM by Sumner »

Offline Old Scrambler

• Going Fast - Slowly
« Reply #78 on: August 07, 2014, 07:44:55 PM »
Nice 'boat-landing' at the End of the Road :-)
2011 AMA Record - 250cc M-PG TRIUMPH Tiger Cub - 82.5 mph
2013 AMA Record - 250cc MPS-PG TRIUMPH Tiger Cub - 88.7 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc M-CG HONDA CB750 sohc - 136.6 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc MPS-CG HONDA CB750 sohc - 143.005 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc M-CF HONDA CB750 sohc - 139.85 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc MPS-CF HONDA CB750 sohc - 144.2025 mph

Chassis Builder / Tuner: Dave Murre

Offline tauruck

« Reply #79 on: August 07, 2014, 08:02:32 PM »
A nice long rope and a slalom ski wouldn't look out of place there.

Offline superleggera

« Reply #80 on: August 07, 2014, 08:43:38 PM »
Hopefully someone reminds an SCTA official or two that there are a LOT of willing volunteers standing around that could be utilized to help setup equipment, moving the pit area (if needed), fencing details, drag the course and make numerous other things happen if needed (with supervision).  I'm sure the SCTA has a lot of work still to do to setup everything if and once conditions might allow in the upcoming days ahead.  I do not envy them given the wet weather monkeywrench thrown at them this year. 

Even if SpeedWeek 2014 is at worse a 3.5 or 4.5 day event this year (and the first day or two is three short courses to start) -- the last few days might be potentially great if the weather cooperates and the rest of the courses dry out further or for the full lengths.  Remember something is better than nothing and most of the folks won't be back until August 2015 given schedules, work, vacations, money and more.

- me: Mark - home: Dry Heat, AZ USA - build: motorcycle streamliner

Offline jacksoni

« Reply #81 on: August 07, 2014, 10:34:50 PM »
I am hoping this is not like 1982 when i drove out with new, just done 'liner and meet cancelled. You guys sitting at home wondering what to do... Geeeeeezzzzz, I've been on road 3 days :cry:
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #82 on: August 07, 2014, 10:41:33 PM »
Here's the latest -- from the meeting that started at 8.

First of all, tomorrow - Friday - is another day off.  Nobody on the salt.  Saturday willbe WORKERS ONLY on the salt to put things back together.  Sunday will be set up and probably inspection.  There won't be any inspection at the airport.

Runs will probably start on Monday.  Further later.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline hotrod

• Black Horse photo
« Reply #83 on: August 07, 2014, 10:43:19 PM »
SCTA face book post

SCTA Southern California Timing Association at Bonneville Salt Flats
1 min ·

Bonneville Salt Report, August 7, 8:30pm: after a complete review of the Bonneville Salt Flats, it appears that the courses are drying and we expect continued improvement. The Board has decided to start site cleanup on Saturday, August 9th, allowing all participants onto the salt for pit selection and inspection. We hope to start racing on Monday, August 11th based upon course conditions. The SCTA merchandize trailer will be open on the entry road for all SCTA products. The Board thanks all racers and fans for their continued support and patience during this delay. We will have another update tomorrow morning to provide current conditions but for now, Speed Week and the Century of Speed celebration is still on!

Offline Gary Perkinson

« Reply #84 on: August 07, 2014, 10:50:49 PM »
SCTA face book post

SCTA Southern California Timing Association at Bonneville Salt Flats
1 min ·

Bonneville Salt Report, August 7, 8:30pm: after a complete review of the Bonneville Salt Flats, it appears that the courses are drying and we expect continued improvement. The Board has decided to start site cleanup on Saturday, August 9th, allowing all participants onto the salt for pit selection and inspection. We hope to start racing on Monday, August 11th based upon course conditions. The SCTA merchandize trailer will be open on the entry road for all SCTA products. The Board thanks all racers and fans for their continued support and patience during this delay. We will have another update tomorrow morning to provide current conditions but for now, Speed Week and the Century of Speed celebration is still on!

Great news! Happy for everyone who's making the trip...
LTA   G/BGALT Record (1 mile)     143.313
LTA   G/BGALT Record (1.5 mile)  148.321
LTA   F/PRO Record (1 mile)         114.668

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #85 on: August 07, 2014, 11:07:54 PM »
BOOGITY, BOOGITY, BOOGITY---LETS GO RACIN' BOYS
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #86 on: August 07, 2014, 11:09:07 PM »
Now that I've got that bit covered as far as I can -- tomorrow we'll be making a rescue trip to get some stuff out of the SSS pit trailer - and that'll include some Salt Talks '14 shirts to sell.  I don't know if we'll have room (not our truck - have to be driven by an SCTA official so we don't damage the wet and soft salt) to bring back the pre-sold shirts, though, so I can't promise that you can come fetch yours from us 'til Saturday.

We don't know if and when we'll have Salt Talks this year, dang it.  We have every hope and intention - and have lots of shirts to sell so we can get some of our investment back - of having the event as usual.  But let's give it a few more hours to get settled and running again. :cheers:

Hey - hay - HEY!  At least it looks like we'll have an event this week.  And again I tell you that Fred D. said yesterday that the salt was in primo condition except for the water on the course.  Hard and smooth.  Wet, but hard and smooth.  

I don't have any more for now, but go ahead -- discuss and ask questions.  Maybe one of us will have good answers. :-D
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #87 on: August 07, 2014, 11:20:27 PM »
Will the event be for the same duration or will it be shortened?  Will the event be extended to accommodate all racers that wish to participate for the "weeks" worth of Land Speed Racing?

John

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #88 on: August 07, 2014, 11:22:04 PM »
packing up the new racer and on the way...  :-D

http://www.youtube.com/embed/2150iFXF5Vc?rel=0

Or we will be leaving with the Bockscar Saturday Morning  :cheers:

John, you know better than that!  :roll:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Sandee

« Reply #89 on: August 08, 2014, 08:46:17 AM »
Jon and Nancy: one of the race teams let me ride their big fat tire beach cruiser around last night and I saw your truck in the back of our hotel! Since you're staying here and we spend a lot of time by the pool in the day come out and visit!