Author Topic: SpeedWeek 2014 - the event per se  (Read 261584 times)

Offline kiwi belly tank

Re: SpeedWeek 2014 - the event per se
« Reply #60 on: August 07, 2014, 11:28:57 AM »
With that amount of water the only place it has to go is to Intrepid. This year is a buy one get one free for them.
  Sid.

Offline hotrod

• Black Horse photo
« Reply #61 on: August 07, 2014, 11:39:42 AM »
Current NWS weather forecast is showing winds today and this evening from the northwest 5-7 mph (this will push water on to the course area).
Starting friday the winds are to go calm than shift to the south east at 5-6 in the afternoon and into Saturday that would blow the water away from lands end and the course area with high temps of about 89 on Saturday and Sunday.

If we can get through this evening without much additional rain 40% dropping to 20% in the evening, I think we have a chance the course could dry in time to go racing.
Keeping fingers crossed and waiting for formal word from SCTA.

Offline bubruins

« Reply #62 on: August 07, 2014, 11:55:43 AM »
From SCTA Facebook page:

"Okay, the pics that were posted a little while ago of the water on the salt is the Pit Area. There is currently 1"-2" of water on some of the courses. They are waiting to see how much of the water recedes by tomorrow before making any official announcements.
We know this sucks not knowing what is going to happen and we do apologize. Mother Nature just had her way with us last night. We will update you as soon as we have any further information."

Offline RichFox

« Reply #63 on: August 07, 2014, 11:59:22 AM »
I don't know why the SCTA apologizes. It's not their fault. It sucks sitting here in my living room, loaded up and ready to go. But imagine having groomed the salt and set cones and all for days, and then it rains. Thanks guys and no apology needed.  

Offline travisspeed

• New folks
    • http://www.Bike410.com
« Reply #64 on: August 07, 2014, 12:00:37 PM »
wow that's a lot of water on the salt. HotRod what are you smoking??? i want some..... If you think lake Bonneville will dry up in 5 days I really want what your smoking, that must be some good stuff. come on give me some of it. :mrgreen: :cheers:.. I hate to say it but speed week is a wish out for me. I have a  Pre-entry for sale now if anyone would like to buy it let me know. I have my jet ski loaded and ready to hit the lake now. i just want to say thank you to everyone and all the volunteers that helped get speedweek going Thanks for you time and effort too.
Bike 410 One Fast Turbocharged Yahama r6 naked :) Top Speed 182 in 2011
scta 650ccM-BF 169 M-BG 175.553
AMA 650cc M-BG 173.038
First year @ Bonneville 1986

Offline Freud

« Reply #65 on: August 07, 2014, 12:02:10 PM »
Thanks for the images, Mike.

Looks serious to me.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline hotrod

• Black Horse photo
« Reply #66 on: August 07, 2014, 12:05:15 PM »
Agreed no apology needed SCTA is doing a great job with FB keeping folks updated. We all know this activity is at the whim of the weather, and this stuff happens.
I am also loaded and ready to leave, I was planning on leaving from work last night but saw the news and decided to head home and get a good nights sleep and will spend today doing a few odds and ends I did not have time to do while prepping for the trip. I am just going to flip the attitude switch to the full mellow setting and take it one day at a time.
Now off to Home Depot to pickup a few bits for those projects.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #67 on: August 07, 2014, 12:44:31 PM »
I feel bad for all you guys and pray you get a break.

Sandee

« Reply #68 on: August 07, 2014, 12:53:54 PM »
I wish we could insert pics in to this thread but we can't and I'm on an airplane to SLC...please check the SCTA FB page for current info. Someone please copy/paste it here. Thanks.

Sandee

« Reply #69 on: August 07, 2014, 12:55:35 PM »
Thanks Bubruins.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #70 on: August 07, 2014, 01:58:44 PM »
Sandee, if nothing else you're welcome to send photos to me and I will post them.  I'm not here 24 hours/day, but pretty close to that, it seems.

There are a couple of ways to put photos on this Forum, obviously, but if you don't have the time or enough computer power in your handheld or something - again, let me know.

It's still less than hot and dry here.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #71 on: August 07, 2014, 02:19:28 PM »
I've been there when there was a lot of water, but pictures of trailers at the inspection/sales area with that much concerns me. Those generators need to run all week and salt is not their friend.

My rental car starts Saturday and I'm still planning to pick it up. My Sunday promised room at the Nugget has already been moved to Monday.... I don't know what will happen to my 2Club dinner ticket but we will see....I'll wait as long as I can.....JD
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Sandee

« Reply #72 on: August 07, 2014, 03:49:08 PM »
Jon, I am only on a cell phone. All of the pics I would send will be posted on the SCTA FB site as well. I'm sitting at the airport with Russ Eyres waiting for Eric to get in before heading to Wendover. Hopefully I will see you!

Offline maj

« Reply #73 on: August 07, 2014, 05:53:23 PM »

in the 6 yrs i have been coming over for 2 or 3 of the later events there has been a few delays due to rain events , amazing how quickly the water disappears,
2 days makes a huge difference ,  i hope you get no further rain and speedweek is a huge success

LittleLiner

« Reply #74 on: August 07, 2014, 06:50:25 PM »
Posted within the last ten minutes on SCTA's Facebook page

"The SCTA planned an inspection of the Bonneville Salt Flats for 6pm. Following, there will be a Board meeting at 8pm to discuss options based upon observations and historical understanding of past weather related race conditions. This decision will be made with the greatest consideration of our racers and fans. Thank you."