Author Topic: SpeedWeek 2014 - the event per se  (Read 261034 times)

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Re: SpeedWeek 2014 - the event per se
« Reply #45 on: August 06, 2014, 10:53:09 PM »
This isn't good.  First there was an outage of this website.  Then it rained.  And thundered and lightninged.  And it poured and rained some more.  And so, as of right now (as I listen to the thunder out there) we're told that nobody will be allowed out on the salt tomorrow.  I'll make the guess (my guess, NOT informed words) that we might make tracks or ruts on the salt or get stuck in a soft spot.  You're welcome to add your own ideas - but they, no matter how good they are, won't get you permission to go there tomorrow.  We were eating supper at the Mexican restaurant down Aria Avenue, on Wendover Blvd, down from the corner between the Montego and Shell station next to the Nugget.  It rained danged hard while we were in there, but it didn't make the food any less good.  Fine size portions, quick service, pleasantly low prices - and yet another new name (we think).  Last year it was "Garlic and Onions" and now it's "Los Compadres", I think.  It used to be Mildred's - with scads of different hamburgers.  other names, too - but whatever, don't skip it just because you think it might not be good.

I can't think of anything else for right now, but will promise that as I hear stuff I will relay it to hear.  Keep your ears/eyes open on the SCTA Facebook page if you use FB and don't be afraid to post something from there on here.

I'd go on but Nancy is beckoning. :evil:
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Freud

« Reply #46 on: August 07, 2014, 01:22:16 AM »
For those that can't find the SCTA link...here it is: 

https://www.facebook.com/SCTASouthernCaliforniaTimingAssociation

FREUD
Since '63

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #47 on: August 07, 2014, 01:38:18 AM »
More time to catch up with you, Freud.

See you Friday.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Fangio

• New folks
« Reply #48 on: August 07, 2014, 09:56:23 AM »
My dad and I are heading to Speed Week for the first time and flying into SLC Saturday Morning, and (unfortunately) also staying in SLC for our trip. Is it worth driving out to the Bonneville on Saturday if the racing is cancelled? We are headed back home Monday evening so I was hoping to spend as much time on the salt as possible, but didn't know if it was worth the 200 mile commute on Saturday if nothing was going on. Thanks.

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #49 on: August 07, 2014, 10:13:44 AM »
You might want to bring a boat with you. :roll:
  Sid.

Offline hotrod

• Black Horse photo
« Reply #50 on: August 07, 2014, 10:14:41 AM »
It depends on your view of racing, if all you want to see is cars going fast, than tech inspection is not too interesting.

If however you appreciate the engineering art of race car construction, then it is perhaps the best place to get a good look at the cars.

Once tech inspection gets rolling you have a continuous parade of cars which are all coming to one location to be poked probed and examined in detail by the inspectors.
During the inspection they take panels off that fully expose the internal structure of the car and you can see the marvelous construction many of these cars exhibit.

As some say many of the top cars show off "aerospace" class construction which is quite simply an art form. They have spent thousands of hours on designing and packaging the cars to get all the pieces in place so they are not just safe and functional but also easy to service essential functions.

If you like functional racing engineering I would say you would enjoy a day walking around tech inspection looking over the cars.
( if it is still ankle deep in salt water --- not so much)

I hope things will dry out quickly a favorable wind can blow several inches of water away in push it far across the flats outside the race course. Once standing water is off the course it typically takes just a day or so for the wind and sun to return it to a drivable surface. Hot and windy is best for that drying process but even a good breeze will make a big difference.

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #51 on: August 07, 2014, 10:21:00 AM »
This morning......

From Facebook.  :wink:
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline SteveM

« Reply #52 on: August 07, 2014, 10:22:41 AM »
OOF!  :-o

That looks UGLY!

Steve.
1/2 of the Rampage Brothers

Offline Fangio

• New folks
« Reply #53 on: August 07, 2014, 10:29:17 AM »
We definitely have an interest in seeing the cars and the engineering involved.

Is there a certain time of day it would be better to watch cars roll through tech? Is there any order to how the different classes will roll through tech?

Thanks for the info.

It depends on your view of racing, if all you want to see is cars going fast, than tech inspection is not too interesting.

Offline SteveM

« Reply #54 on: August 07, 2014, 10:30:57 AM »
I think it might be prudent to wait for some official word from SCTA based on the photos shown above.

My heart just sank into my shoes.

Steve.

Offline 7800ebs

• http://quickturnparts.com/index.html
« Reply #55 on: August 07, 2014, 10:34:17 AM »
Well.. No tape measure.. But the "data".. Of the wheel / water level seems about 4" to 5" of water..  Then again just an opinion.  Sooo   Mike did you get your fuel rails done?    Bob

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
« Reply #56 on: August 07, 2014, 10:36:34 AM »
Wow, looks like a picture of the salt in May.

BR
ECTA    Maxton D/CGALT  Record Holder 167.522
ECTA    Maxton D/CBGALT Record Holder 166.715

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM

Offline SteveM

« Reply #57 on: August 07, 2014, 10:55:27 AM »
My untrained eyes see those photos and trigger thoughts of "There is no way that those flats will be race-able within a week".

I'm hoping that someone who knows a lot more about the subject will weigh in.

Getting ready to start the long drive Westward within 15 minutes.

Steve.

Offline Texican

« Reply #58 on: August 07, 2014, 11:07:04 AM »
To answer the main question; tech starts in the morning and goes till mid afternoon, usually. 

Can somebody verify the rumor about tech happening at the airport?

I guess Mayor Mike has all the keys to the city, including the hanger.

Last fall the racers were huddled in there awaiting clearing weather that never came.

Regards,
Jim

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #59 on: August 07, 2014, 11:20:00 AM »
Racing depends on wind and sun--- wind can blow the water OFF the track or pile it up on it!!
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!