Author Topic: SpeedWeek 2014 - the event per se  (Read 261704 times)

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
Re: SpeedWeek 2014 - the event per se
« Reply #315 on: August 15, 2014, 10:55:13 PM »
Thank you, sir! 

Mike  :-D
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline Richard 2

• 2 Richards Racing
« Reply #316 on: August 15, 2014, 11:00:44 PM »
It was a challenge, but I did it.
219.648 mph F/BFMR 2010 Record
4 cylinder Esslinger
Could of had a V8

Offline Nortonist 592

• http://www.artfv.com/design/fashion/
« Reply #317 on: August 15, 2014, 11:03:30 PM »

The Associated Press told me the other day that 41% of the people in the U.S. are on (or use?) Facebook.  Huge number!!!  Less than a majority.  (Or maybe I read that on the internet thing -- it's gotta be right, right?.)

Is that enough for a quorum Stan?
Get off the stove Grandad.  You're too old to be riding the range.

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #318 on: August 16, 2014, 01:51:34 AM »
Regarding salt condition, I was one of the few that went out there on Saturday morning and I was one of the even fewer that stuck around to pick things up. If courses 1 & 2 were smooth and runnable before the storms hit then the storms is likely what ruined them.  They were full of pits and pot holes and really just looked terrible.  There was so much run off flow from the mountains to the north that the top of the salt was covered in silt. It was more brown/tan than white. I think the massive run off is what probably rutted out the courses as well. I think it's going to take significant repair work before either of those courses are usable again. Also, we spent the better part of Friday up in the hills above the salt.  We took the road around the salt until it was washed out and then we drove up the wash as far as we could which was a ways. I have never seen such massive run off erosion in the middle of the desert before.  There were parts of the wash that we're so blown out the it was taller than the lifted truck we were in.  There was a LOT of water coming down from those hills/mountains.

The good news was that courses 3 & 4 looked great... like amazingly good.  They were under water of course but the salt was thick and hard. The one good thing about standing water on the salt is that it promotes salt growth. One courses 1 & 2 it was so silty and soft that you could walk around bare foot and it was like walking on a muddy lake shore. On courses 3 & 4 it was like walking on the sharpest of sharp coral reef.  There were huge new salt crystals forming and those sob's felt like razor blades on bare feet. We looked like we were stepping on hot coals or something.

I'm not sure where the pumped over brine for the salt replacement comes in from but it looked clear to me that there is a significant increase in salt thickness on courses 3 & 4 and even to the south closer towards the highway. Like it was hard and thick. It was like concrete. In the really good spots you couldn't even see brown muck between the big patches of salt like you see most other places where the salt is thin. I went over to the saldero dike and the salt was thick and firm almost all the way to the dirt. In years past, you couldn't get within 10 or 20 feet of the dike with breaking through to the mud below. I'm literally shocked at how good it was over there.

It was the strangest thing going all the way to wendover only to futs around for a couple days and then pack up and go home.  I understand that wf has been extended to make for speed week round two but I seriously wonder how many people can actually afford to try and make a second speed week. A lot of the guys I spoke with said they blew it all coming to wendover and wouldn't be back until next year.  I guess at this point all I can hope for is that wf even happens.
El Mirage 200 MPH Club Member

Offline Richard 2

• 2 Richards Racing
« Reply #319 on: August 16, 2014, 09:02:30 AM »
Thanks Nathan :cheers:
219.648 mph F/BFMR 2010 Record
4 cylinder Esslinger
Could of had a V8

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #320 on: August 16, 2014, 10:26:58 AM »
Thanks for the first hand---I am sure you have hit it square on the nose!!!
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Online Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #321 on: August 16, 2014, 01:00:37 PM »
Nathan:

Thanks for exploring up in the hills and finding out about the silt.  PP and I noticed it (as mentioned before this) and wondered where the heck it came from.  In the pits the stuff, while on the salt surface underwater, was like the mud on the bottom of a stagnant pool or lake.  I had guessed it might have been from upwelling of water through holes in the salt -- your explanation seems more likely than mine.  It leaves me with the question, though, if running on the courses that have lots of that will, when it dries out, be like running at EM -- lots and lots of dust. :?
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Sandee

« Reply #322 on: August 16, 2014, 03:47:55 PM »
This just in! If you send an extra $10 in with your entry, a carrier pigeon and a roll of paper will be purchased on your behalf in the event that a scheduling change has happened and you are one of the few people not getting the word from numerous other sources. You will have to make sure you keep a GPS locator on your person at all times so that your carrier knows how to find you. Don't say we aren't problem solvers!

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #323 on: August 16, 2014, 03:51:41 PM »
lol   :cheers:

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline hotrod

• Black Horse photo
« Reply #324 on: August 16, 2014, 03:58:44 PM »
It leaves me with the question, though, if running on the courses that have lots of that will, when it dries out, be like running at EM -- lots and lots of dust.

If you remember back during the ShootOut a few years ago (2011) that whole starting line area was a drab brown color due to mud mixed with the salt. That year I took some salt samples to measure the thickness and you could see thin bands of brown in the salt crust. I think over time it will merge into the salt and slowly migrate to the bottom of the salt deposit.

This is one of those salt samples I took near the timing trailer.

http://bonnevillesaltwatch.org/page2/timing_stand_MCS_2071_MCSO_11.jpg

Online Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #325 on: August 16, 2014, 04:01:36 PM »
Larry:  I sure do remember.  I didn't see your post 'til I started this one, but I'll assume what you're referring to is what is also called "potato chips".  Ah, yes, the variations in the salt.

And then -- hey, Sandee.  Do you mean we're going to each be given a roll of unh, mmm,  aahhh, toilet paper?  It'd have two purposes that way as well as being plenty long enough to take down message after message.  Thanks for the new technique.  PS  If you'd like your location changed I can do it -- but then, so can you.  Let me know if and what you'd prefer. :-D
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Sandee

« Reply #326 on: August 16, 2014, 04:04:30 PM »
The silt over courses one and two seems to be about 2" thick in some spots and was slick as snot. Several of us almost fell while walking on it. Nathans description of courses three and four is pretty accurate! I think my paws are still a bit sore.

Nathan I sent you an email pic yesterday of Jeff. Did you get it? Its a cool pic.

Online Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #327 on: August 16, 2014, 05:57:43 PM »
Here's one of the last items that'll be posted on this topic.  It's from Bob Drury to Heather Black.  Bob asked me to post it because it was sent to her as a PM and he, being somewhat computer challenged, didn't know how to post it.  There are a few things I know better than Bob, it seems, 'cause here it is:

"Heather, thank you for your input on the communications issue.
  My initial post was meant as a personal rant of frustration from two days of visiting fellow racers in the parking lots and restaurants throughout Wendover.
  Allthough it may seem to some that I had or have a vendetta against Scott (whom I have never met) or trying to have whomever was involved in the communication decisions lynched that wasn't my goal or agenda.
  In truth, I saw Scott doing a TV interview while I was trying to find a current weather forcast on Friday night.  I was very impressed with his calm, professional demeanor and thought it was the best presentation ever by a SCTA official.
  I don't know if the decision was made by him or a committee or anyone else and have never had any negative thoughts about any SCTA personel having only met a few.  I have never met or talked with Scott, nor seen him in person.
  I usually try not to be a rabble rouser but in this instance I knew that someone had to ignite discussion before hopefully the W.O.S. which I realize is not put on by us, and the W.F.'s.
  What I was hoping for was a factual discussion looking for ideas to be quickly forwarded to SCTA officials and hoping for a quick clarification of our communicaltion policies and have a final declaration sent to all SCTA/BNI members.
  I can live with whatever is agreed on but it needs to be done ASAP, and not after two months of mulling over be committee, et al.
  I won't deny that I first and foremost believe if at all possible, the use of mobile accessable phone recorded messages as the
First line on communication, followed by the SCTA website and then F.B. and any other means available including this forum.
  In hindsight, I wish I had not been quite so inflamitory in my opening post but I felt I needed to somehow prod others to get off their butts and offer their suggestions rather that whine about it for the next ten years but take no action.
  I knew going in that I wouldn't make many new friends but was willing to take that risk to try and get this issue resolved asap.
  In closing, I just want to say how much I appreciate your input and with a name behind it, I definatley RESPECT YOU MORE!!!
                                                                             I hope to meet you soon , and offer a hug...........
                                                                             "One Run"  Bob Drury  (and I mean it) :cheers:"
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #328 on: August 16, 2014, 08:15:47 PM »
SSS - in my experience it seems that the salt is always at least a lil damp and never actually dry. Because of this I doubt the mucky silt would ever dry out enough to actually become dusty. It's going to take significant work to repair courses 1 & 2 IMO and in that process I'd imagine that most the silt would be scraped off during dragging anyways.

Sandee - yes got the pic and fwd'd it to my brother. Thanks for sharing it with us.
El Mirage 200 MPH Club Member

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #329 on: August 16, 2014, 09:31:36 PM »
 Jon, thanx for posting that for me, and Heather, forgive me for posting what was a private message.  I decided to post it yesterday when things seemed to be headed towards .......... well where none of us wants to go in a effort to tone the discussion down.  I gave up after an hour of frustration and asked Jon to post it for me.
  In closing I want to reiterate that I have full faith in our elected SCTA/BNI Officials, and all the support folks who make are sport the fastest, safest, friendlist, and Best Racing Venue in the World.
                                                  Thanks again to all who posted,                     
                                                     Bob Drury
Bob Drury