Author Topic: SpeedWeek 2014 - the event per se  (Read 261870 times)

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Re: SpeedWeek 2014 - the event per se
« Reply #300 on: August 15, 2014, 02:23:45 PM »
Well, is it time to close this topic?  Maybe - but I'll give it 'til tomorrow so that anyone that wants to have a last word can do so.  but then -- you're right, this poor horse has been beaten within an inch of it's life.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
« Reply #301 on: August 15, 2014, 02:23:50 PM »
What's next hack into the Amber Alert System and have "Speedweek Cancelled" flashing on every interstate Amber Alert sign but wait what about the people taking the state roads and surface roads... ok not a good idea.  :cheers:

BR
ECTA    Maxton D/CGALT  Record Holder 167.522
ECTA    Maxton D/CBGALT Record Holder 166.715

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #302 on: August 15, 2014, 02:31:52 PM »
In re: the potholes Dan mentioned.  While I didn't find them during my excursion to and from the pits, a bit of thinking has led me to wonder if they might be small (inch size) places where the salt crust was very thin.  The water bubbled up or drained down to and through the dirt beneath, and as it did it dissolved some salt and displaced some of the mud - to make a hole, pot sized or not.  This implies that it's more of a natural condition than one caused by any driving over the submerged surface.

But I'm not trying to sneak around being one that might have contributed to the salt's poor condition once it dries out.  Access was restricted for good reason, and I'm glad I didn't have any reason to make another trip out there.

Back to washing the brakes. :roll:
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline hotrod

• Black Horse photo
« Reply #303 on: August 15, 2014, 02:32:23 PM »
I am concerned that some people are jumping to unwarranted conclusions on this topic.

First --- it is not the SCTA's job to notify the entire world when things hit the fan!

They did a very good job getting the word out through the most effective channels available for a very difficult situation.
If you did not get the word --- news flash it is your responsibility to tap into one of those channels and work out your own notification system in the future.

If you can log onto this forum, you already have all the tools you need (posted above in multiple posts) to get the word out to your crew or have someone at home get the word to you. Take responsibility for your own notification and use the resources you already have.

It really is not that difficult folks, we all need to be responsible for our own due diligence regarding what is going on at Bonneville when we are anticipating spending hundreds of dollars (or much more) for fuel or airfare.

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #304 on: August 15, 2014, 02:43:09 PM »
We'll get "younger" people involved as soon as they get enough money....and then they will be "old" like most of us who now can afford it.....
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline azgearhed

• 1979 Z-28 AA/CBGC & AA/CGC & AA/CBGALT
« Reply #305 on: August 15, 2014, 02:46:21 PM »
Just saw on scta-world finals extended 3 days (on the front end :-D
BC Racing 1979 Z-28
AA/CBGC Record 251.802 Speed Week 2012
AA/CBGALT Record 255.382 Speed Week 2013
AA/CBGC Record 226.104 El Mirage Sept 2015
AA/CBFALT Record 227.954 El Mirage June 2016
AA/CBGC Record 267.878 Speed Week 2018
AA/CBGALT Record 236.458 El Mirage Nov 2016
It's a lot of work to have fun...

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #306 on: August 15, 2014, 02:59:05 PM »
Jimmy, I'm one of the "younger" generation I hear mentioned at times on the forum. I darn sure can't afford it, but I make sacrifices to make it happen.

I don't know who said it, but I've heard many times, "You only get so many Speed Weeks". I try to live by that mantra.

I envy the guys that have been going out there for 30 or 40+ years. So much knowledge and so many great stories.

That being said, the cancellation was an unfortunate thing and it affected many people adversely. I'm lucky in that my drive is rather short (450 miles one way). The only thing we can do is buckle down, keep working, and hope the weather is more favorable next year.

Inevitably the weather will not cooperate, but that is just one risk you take when you build a machine to perform at top speed and then drive out into the middle of nowhere to test it.

Just my 2 cents.

Joe
Maybe there is no Heaven. Or maybe this is all pure gibberish. The product of a demented hill billy who has found a way to live out where the winds blow. To sleep late, have fun, drink whiskey, and drive fast on empty streets with nothing in mind except falling in love or getting arrested.    H.S. Thompson

Offline desotoman

« Reply #307 on: August 15, 2014, 04:46:53 PM »

It seems that Heather Black is doing a better job updating the SCTA FaceBook page than the official SCTA website is being done, looks like we need to give her a raise and take it from the people that are not updating the "official" SCTA page.

John,

I agree with your observation as that is mine also. Thank you Heather.

Tom G.

Here is the latest from facebook vs. SCTA Homepage.

Facebook post 20 hrs ago.

SCTA Southern California Timing Association
20 hours ago · Edited
SPEED WEEK AT WORLD FINALS:

SCTA announces Speed Week at World Finals 2014. The SCTA is responding to requests by our racers to expand the normal World Finals to one full week of racing due to the rain out at the regularly scheduled Speed Week. Your Board is listening and we are going to give the racers and LSR fans what they want. We are working on the details, stay connected to get the most... See More

SCTA Website Homepage as of now,

Speedweek 2014

CANCELLED

Salt Report Thursday Aug 14

Dear SCTA-BNI Racers and Fans
As you know the Board had a very tough decision to cancel this year’s Century of Speed celebration at this year’s SpeedWeek.  In order for all of the competitors and fans to completely understand our reasoning so we are providing this explanation of the process involved in the cancellation decision. Read the whole message here
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #308 on: August 15, 2014, 06:35:36 PM »
Two things . . .

The holes in the salt I saw were 4 to 6 inches in diameter.  Made for a bumpy ride.  Whether they're self-healing, I don't know.

The Associated Press told me the other day that 41% of the people in the U.S. are on (or use?) Facebook.  Huge number!!!  Less than a majority.  (Or maybe I read that on the internet thing -- it's gotta be right, right?.)
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Richard 2

• 2 Richards Racing
« Reply #309 on: August 15, 2014, 07:57:06 PM »
Speaking of faceBook Mike Cook Jr. just posted a short report of the wet salt and some Pictures of the courses and the end of road.
Richard 2
219.648 mph F/BFMR 2010 Record
4 cylinder Esslinger
Could of had a V8

Offline joea

« Reply #310 on: August 15, 2014, 08:13:50 PM »
we have been watching and seeing various posts on facebook the past few days from
salt regarding, Buckeye Bullett-FIA-current salt reports etc....

its nice to see the various reports...thanks guys and gals

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #311 on: August 15, 2014, 08:55:18 PM »
Link to the Mike Jr report, please.   :-D

Mike

Never mind.  Easy find with Bing.  Unfortunately you have to sign into your account to see it  :x
« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 08:58:43 PM by 4-barrel Mike »
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #312 on: August 15, 2014, 09:49:33 PM »
But the shootout site doesn't need a log-in.  https://www.facebook.com/CookLSS.  Buckeye Bullet scheduled for FIA runs on the 18th. 

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline Richard 2

• 2 Richards Racing
« Reply #313 on: August 15, 2014, 10:29:23 PM »
Mike Cook Jr said I could repost his post here.
Still a little wet this is the International course.
 The BNI track has some standing water and the pits and return road are still under water

4 cylinder Esslinger
Could of had a V8

Offline Richard 2

• 2 Richards Racing
« Reply #314 on: August 15, 2014, 10:44:25 PM »
More from Mike Cook Jr;  Going off the salt still a lot of water to drive into.
4 cylinder Esslinger
Could of had a V8