Author Topic: SpeedWeek 2014 - the event per se  (Read 261838 times)

Offline bvillercr

Re: SpeedWeek 2014 - the event per se
« Reply #30 on: August 06, 2014, 10:30:20 AM »
Track has a few inches of standing water on it from yesterday.  Today is another day and let's hope for some wind.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2014, 10:49:29 AM »
I've heard, but not seen, that there is water on the track.  The toilets will be arriving in a couple of hours so for sure we'll know then.  We'll head out there soon, but if it's really we we won't go onto the salt until we have to do so.  Let it dry, let it dry.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: August 06, 2014, 04:12:28 PM »
There -- I've done it and started a new topic that'll be for use during the event itself.  This one is for stuff going on the days just before SpeedWeek begins - and as the event moves along.

First reports:  Yes, there's water on the courses.  No, it's not all that bad and it's drying as I type.  Right at Land's End it's a couple of inches deep, and the farther north you go - at least to the 7, where we turned around, it gets drier and drier.  From a bit past the 5 (course 1) it's all dry - no water in sight.  The other courses aren't tht good yet, but the wind is blowing briskly from the freeway towards the mountains - and that means it's drying where we want it dry.  Here in the pits it's pretty wet on the surface - but the amount of visibly standing water is down lots since we dropped our trailer here 4 hours ago.  That's all good.

Under the water - and where it's dry - the salt is smoooooooooth.  Nice and hard and smooooooth on the courses.  Fred Dannenfelzer (who drives a drag truck as well as his new liner) is pleased as punch about how good the course is this time around.  There ARE lots of crunchy spots - but not where we really care about them.  Well - between the access/return road on course 1 and the pits the surface is crunchy - so use the pit entrances that have been dragged.  

The pit layout has been changed a bit, but not so much that I'll need to tell you how to find your way around.  They're still over a mile long - lots of front-row seating this year again.  No problemeau, so to speak.

I won't bother posting a photo of the inner fender of this truck (as I usually do) 'cause there's not much there but wet stuff -- no salt stuck on the insides.

Final note:  If you've reserved a private toilet from Honey Buckets -- they'll be stationed at the SSS pit.  But - we've got a list to mark down when you take yours, and if you take it without getting on the list -- yours won't be serviced.  We'll rope off the private units so you'll have to be rude and remove the rope - or you'll have to wait for us to come release one (or whatever) for you.  Please -- don't take yours 'til we let you take yours.

Here are a few photos showing the wetness.  The Honey Buckets trucks arriving on the salt, the course 1 start line, and a close up of a muddy crunchy.
Onward and upward.  See you on the salt.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 04:20:54 PM by Seldom Seen Slim »
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #33 on: August 06, 2014, 05:48:40 PM »
Eyes on the salt tell me there is standing water out to the start line & wet salt from there. Tech is likely to be at the airport with a possible one day delay in starting the meet.
  Sid.

Offline jww36

« Reply #34 on: August 06, 2014, 06:48:56 PM »
At 3:40 PST, Wendover under thunderstorm warning and weather radar showing salt flats getting hammered by severe thunderstorms.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: August 06, 2014, 07:26:33 PM »
I merged the prior topic about conditions - into this one.

We just got off the salt.  it's about 5 here in town, and the weather here is fine.  Don't turn around, don't unpack your trailer, don't cancel your rooms - at least yet.

Yes,  rainstorm hit the salt about 3PM.  It rained pretty hard -- hard enough in the pits that the surface that had been wet with a few puddles -- was more like 3/4" to deeper here and there.  And windy -- whoo-boy, windy.  All day long it's been 10-15 from east to west, blowing the water towards the mountains.  During the storm it reversed - moving the water back onto the pits and the courses.  Since the prevailing wind usually moves the water towards the mountains -- don't be surprised when tomorrow morning's report says there is way less water out there than there is right now.  All I can say is - stay tuned for more.  How windy was it?  A handful of toilets blew over already.  I guess it's better now than later when the water in them isn't pure blue and clean.  Oh, yeah - speaking of toilets - - if you've got rented toilet(s) they'll be stationed at the SSS pit.  You need to come over, MAKE SURE YOU CHECK WITH NANCY OR ME SO WE CAN MAKE A NOTE THAT YOU'VE TAKEN IT, and then take the unit to your pit.  They drag pretty easily behind a pickup/SUV - bring a 15-20' tow strap or rope.  If you haven't yet paid for yours (almost everyone has) you need to contact Trevor Inman at Honey Buckets to give him the $$ information.  We can't take it/we can't release the toilet without it.

A couple of important points that I'll post here and elsewhere include the license/stickers for OHVs.  Most important is that the rule is a state thing, not federal, so the Utah police/sheriff will be there to enforce.  But to make it as easy as possible they'll station a person at the Metro - the Salt Flats cafe/truck stop, and also at the West Wendover Visitor Center so you can easily get your $30 permit.  They'll have at least two officers patrolling the pit area (and I don't know where else) on Saturday (I don't know when else).  As has been mentioned elsewhere, it's up to you to make sure your home state of registration has reciprocal licensing with Utah.  "I dunno, Officer.  Wouldja look it up for me?" -- probably won't get you out of a ticket.

These photos will give you a visual sense of the surface.  This was BEFORE the most recent rain.  It was raining too hard to stop for photos when we left :-o.  By the way, that is not an ark you see in the photo - that's the multi-story timing tower. :-D
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: August 06, 2014, 07:29:22 PM »
Some other information is more of a reminder.  Just a few years ago, reminded Drew Pietsch, was the time there was about four inches of water at Land's End.  The start line was submerged.  The race event started one day late and the line was moved one mile down the course.  It was a fine event with good salt.

Don't worry about it for now.  We'll stay in touch with conditions and let you know. :-D
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #37 on: August 06, 2014, 07:50:21 PM »
In the 1990 we had a rain delay for a couple of days and a heck of a meet anyway don't call it quits until SCTA says so. THINK DRY.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline superleggera

« Reply #38 on: August 06, 2014, 07:50:58 PM »
SCTA just announced on their Facebook page the following (link --> http://www.facebook.com/SCTASouthernCaliforniaTimingAssociation) [link fixed]

IMMEDIATE RELEASE IMPORTANT INFORMATION

The Bonneville Salt Flats experienced a flash cell that came over within the last hour. This storm left additional water on the BSF that had been drying nicely. Therefore the SCTA has decided to delay all activities one full day. Inspection will be held Friday with the first racing day now scheduled for Sunday the 10th. Please do not use the access road as you will simply be turned around. The SCTA will provide an update tomorrow afternoon with current information on the condition of the BSF. We apologize for the delay but Mother Nature has thrown us a curve. We still believe that the event will occur based upon the current weather forecast.

-Scott Andrews
 SCTA President
« Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 08:15:16 PM by superleggera »
- me: Mark - home: Dry Heat, AZ USA - build: motorcycle streamliner

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #39 on: August 06, 2014, 08:06:38 PM »
That link empty... unless maybe you have a login  :x
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #40 on: August 06, 2014, 08:11:26 PM »
It's not on the SCTA web site yet. One day delay due to water, Salt will be open on Friday for pit set up and Inspection.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline desotoman

« Reply #41 on: August 06, 2014, 08:18:48 PM »
That link empty... unless maybe you have a login  :x

Stainless,

Here is what it said.

Tom G.

https://www.facebook.com/SCTASouthernCaliforniaTimingAssociation?fref=ts

SCTA Southern California Timing Association
32 minutes ago
Bonneville Salt Report Wednesday, August 6th @ 5:23AM:  <This should be PM>

IMMEDIATE RELEASE IMPORTANT INFORMATION

The Bonneville Salt Flats experienced a flash cell that came over within the last hour. This storm left additional water on the BSF that had been drying nicely. Therefore the SCTA has decided to delay all activities one full day. Inspection will be held Friday with the first racing day now scheduled for Sunday the 10th. Please do not use the access road as you will simply be turned around. The SCTA will provide an update tomorrow afternoon with current information on the condition of the BSF. We apologize for the delay but Mother Nature has thrown us a curve. We still believe that the event will occur based upon the current weather forecast.

-Scott Andrews
SCTA President
« Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 08:52:39 PM by desotoman »
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline flatman

« Reply #42 on: August 06, 2014, 08:35:03 PM »
Can we assume there will also be tech on Saturday?

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #43 on: August 06, 2014, 08:38:09 PM »
There is tech everyday.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele