Author Topic: SpeedWeek 2014 - the event per se  (Read 261800 times)

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
Re: SpeedWeek 2014 - the event per se
« Reply #270 on: August 14, 2014, 08:04:07 PM »
Isn't Sandee, Scotts wife/SCTA Preiedent/chief timer. :cheers:
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #271 on: August 14, 2014, 08:10:39 PM »
  This time I double promise to let this all go but one last thing.
  To the best of my knowledge neither Myself or any one else has said anything negative about the SCTA volunteers and the work they do to make possible for the rest of us to chase our dream.
  What I DID say in my first post on this subject pointed a finger directly at WHOM EVER made the call on making F.B. the "first and foremost" channel of the most current info and whether or not all pre entries were notified of said call or calls.
  I stand by every thing I have posted on this topic.  That does not mean that I am infalable, I am merely stating my beliefs.  I also stated first and formost that I expected to take heat for my views, however I find it rather ironic that most of the most heated rebuttal has come from anonymous names with anonymous addresses.
  I only take offense if the poster turns out to be someone who has never been associated with a LS race car or team and my reason for this is simple: until you have borrowed all the money you can to build, maintain, and haul a racecar from say Florida, you are in my mind not qualified to make statements regarding how any and all SCTA/BNI members receive information without stating what your role is.  It is not a courtesy issue.  I honest to God don't have a clue who you are and I only think I might know who Mysery Woman Sandee is.  Maybee one or both of you is really Stan Back, who really is actually............ ah, never mind.
                                                                                                  Bob Drury
Bob Drury

Offline landspeedracer

• New folks
« Reply #272 on: August 14, 2014, 08:24:45 PM »
Bob Drury,

Like I said my name is Heather Black, I am not hiding from anyone...My family has (2) LSR cars and we work our butts off to race them...We have volunteered for many different things throughout the years and still do to this day...Facebook was never made the "First and Foremost" for information. It is just "a" source. And I am not saying your opinion is wrong, if you thought that, I apologize. I was just responding with mine.

Heather

Offline landspeedracer

• New folks
« Reply #273 on: August 14, 2014, 08:42:12 PM »
I think if we all just sat down and talked we could figure out a way to make the way we communicate work for everyone

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
« Reply #274 on: August 14, 2014, 08:53:51 PM »
Bob you are correct, I am still financially trying to get over SW 2011! Yes I towed all the way from Florida and it's uphill the whole way. We burned a lot of diesel dinosaur fossils to get there!

I have no dog in this fight, I was just commenting on Bob's statement about the financial commitment and honored that he used Florida as a reference. We don't get much recognition down hear... why Freud doesn't even throw us a SE reunion party once a year! What's up with that DOC?  :-D :cheers:

BR
ECTA    Maxton D/CGALT  Record Holder 167.522
ECTA    Maxton D/CBGALT Record Holder 166.715

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #275 on: August 14, 2014, 08:56:01 PM »
I agree, Heather, and I need to add something about my post from earlier this afternoon.  It has been pointed out to me that I was repeat WAS on a "short list" to receive text messages about the SCTA's actions and reports as soon as they were made.  I got them on the same list that other officials of the SCTA did.  I apologise for saying that I didn't.

I went back through my log of received messages and can't find most of them except for the final one that cancelled the event.  Because of that I can't go further to see if I was correct in saying that it took far longer for SCTA website posts about things going on than it took me.  The cancellation one arrived at my phone at 11.29AM Saturday.  Later on I'll try to get more information for you all - including the person that contacted me to point out my error.

I have been guilty of falling to the point of joining the gang of folks saying that the SCTA should have been more concerned about notifying us by every method available.  I was wrong -- in that they did notify me of things.  I did post them -- but more often by checking what Hotrod reported as he pasted the Facebook posts on our Forum.  I can't say for sure that the texts I got were word for word the same as was posted on the site, but I do know that text messages are limited to 140 characters - and some of the FB posts were longer than that.  In other words, the FB posts allowed for more details and information that I would have had to imply or guess what was happening.

Mea Culpa.  I beg your forgiveness and will strive to do better in giving all of you current and correct information.  If you feel that SCTA has fallen down on the job -- well, don't keep kicking the dog once it's down.  Help it to get up and all better.  That's what I thought I tried to do.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline thundersalt

• www.americanrvservicecenter.com
« Reply #276 on: August 14, 2014, 09:05:43 PM »
 And if speed week never rains out again all previous post are moot  :cheers:
916 REMR
2017 AA/FRMR Bonneville Record holder 234.663
2018 AA/GRMR El Mirage Record holder 223.108
2020 AA/BGRMR Bonneville Record holder 252.438
2021 AA/BGRMR Bonneville Record holder 262.685
El Mirage 200 MPH Club
Drivers/Owners: Brian & Celia Dean

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #277 on: August 14, 2014, 09:21:46 PM »
By the also way - I was just sent a PM by a racer that looked at the SCTA Facebook page and found the following statement that was put there about an hour ago.  Evidently I got the wrong people angry with me -- because I was left off the short list this time.  Please, folks - put me back on that list.  I promise to behave myself.

Here's the FB post.  It gives us what so many have wanted -- information about how WF will be changed to become this year's SpeedWeek:

SPEEDWEEK AT WORLD FINALS:

"SCTA announces SpeedWeek at World Finals 2014. The SCTA is responding to requests by our racers to expand the normal World Finals to one full week of racing due to the rain out at the regularly scheduled SpeedWeek. Your Board is listening and we are going to give the racers and LSR fans what they want. We are working on the details, stay connected to get the most up-to-date information on this exciting announcement. The SCTA will be posting the details by this weekend on both our FaceBook and Website pages. We are going to continue SpeedWeek with the program remaining and participant merchandise from SpeedWeek being distributed to all SpeedWeek at World Finals competitors. Racing will start Saturday September 27th and continue through Friday October 3rd, 2014. Many more details to follow."

Edit added about 15 minutes after I clicked "send":

The announcement of SpeedWeek at World Finals isn't on the SCTA website yet.  Q. E. D.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 09:35:03 PM by Seldom Seen Slim »
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #278 on: August 14, 2014, 09:23:56 PM »
And if speed week never rains out again all previous post are moot  cheers

lol   :cheers:
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #279 on: August 14, 2014, 09:28:19 PM »
hmm guess that means my pre-entry may still be good  :cheers:
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline 7800ebs

• http://quickturnparts.com/index.html
« Reply #280 on: August 14, 2014, 09:58:15 PM »
I just saw a Facebook post from the scta .. It says anyone who posts on landracing can not get their pre-entry back or ever use it..   Unless they volunteer to call   All racers in case it rains again in the next 20 years.. I guess after 20 years they are more relaxed.. Than those who don't have any contacts/friends .. Who like them enough to call them when it rains..

Lol.  I'm kinda joking.... Kinda..

Seriously. I'm sure scta will learn from this.. And communication will be better in the future..   Rumor was they talked to our President.. You know .. Of the US of A .. He decreeded it shall never rain on a SCTA event ever again.. So that's where I'm putting my trust in..

Bob Dalton....

Tongue firmly in cheek...  Relaxed and waiting for the World Finals..

Offline Richard 2

• 2 Richards Racing
« Reply #281 on: August 14, 2014, 10:08:16 PM »
Yes it is on Face Book Via SCTA's Face Book Page. It is not signed by anyone, but looks legit.
219.648 mph F/BFMR 2010 Record
4 cylinder Esslinger
Could of had a V8

Offline edinlr

« Reply #282 on: August 14, 2014, 10:26:07 PM »
I learned about the cancellation on the elevator at the Montego Bay on Saturday morning just minutes after it was announced.  Having driven through the rain on I-80 Friday night, I was not terribly surprised at the event being cancelled and cannot imagine anyone else who was there, being surprised either.  I had been tracking the weather all week and stayed over in Colorado rather than rushing to Wendover in time for tech on Friday.  It was a pain in the butt 1625 mile drive for us, but I am sick for the international visitors who easily spent 10X what I spent on transportation costs.  While I don't want any handouts other than my hotel refund, it would sure be nice to aid the foreign racers with free entries in the future, admittedly it is a drop in the bucket, but still it is an easy gesture.

As to the earlier points about text and e-mail notifications, I totally agree about using that and even charging for it on the admission cost.  It would be very simple to list an e-mail address, fax number, and a text number to all entries so that they could get up to date info as it is released.

Last thanks to all the volunteers for their time and effort.  I realize that all of them sacrificed their time, vacation and personal funds to be there.  We sure appreciate you guys and gals.
Honda CX650 turbo, Kawasaki H2 Ninja, Kawasaki ZX750 turbo

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #283 on: August 14, 2014, 10:31:53 PM »
A person experienced with a facebook site knows their way around and who and who not to pay attention to.  This can be hard for a first time reader.  Sometimes it pays to contact a person who is "in the know" to get their opinion about what to do.  Around here we have teenagers and twentysomethings to do this for us.  Rose and I can get plenty confused with social networking.

Offline Nortonist 592

• http://www.artfv.com/design/fashion/
« Reply #284 on: August 15, 2014, 12:36:33 AM »
I think the SCTA did a pretty good job considering the volatile nature of the weather.  I don't have a twitter account and I have no idea how to text or how to look them up on my dumbphone.  I did keep an eye on FB and got a couple of calls from friends already there.  Running into some severe rain outside Ely is a clue.  I arrived Friday evening and without talking to anyone had a pretty good idea as to what would happen.  The downpour Friday evening told me I would be heading home Sunday.

Their updates on FB were a great help.   I think more racers are on here than FB and it might be an idea for the SCTA to post here as well when weather conditions threaten a meet.  But I feel the SCTA did as good as could be expected.
Get off the stove Grandad.  You're too old to be riding the range.