Author Topic: SpeedWeek 2014 - the event per se  (Read 261033 times)

Offline martine

• Vero Drive - Advanced Driving Coaching
Re: SpeedWeek 2014 - the event per se
« Reply #255 on: August 14, 2014, 11:53:52 AM »
Gosh as an outsider (not a racer or spectator - just an interested newbie) I have huge sympathy with the disappointment you must all be suffering.  I have to say Scott's post above shows the SCTA are very professional and couldn't have done more in the circumstances.  Weather is so difficult sometimes - everyone wants, hopes desperately, it will work out and it must be very difficult to call something like this off.

There's always going to be another time to run guys - no one said this sort of thing is easy...

Hopefully I'll make the journey sometime to this amazing event.
Martin - Bloodhound LSR ambassador

Offline landspeedracer

• New folks
« Reply #256 on: August 14, 2014, 05:26:19 PM »
I have been reading all the comments in regards to how the SCTA should or shouldn't have communicated with everyone. There are a lot of opinions in this forum and I am not saying that any of them are wrong, but the SCTA is made up of volunteers...None of them get paid. Before the internet & cell phones, everyone would have driven to Bonneville & got turned around because of rain, and no one would have blamed anyone. The rumors would have flown around the same as they did this time.

I believe the SCTA did their best...They updated their Facebook page & their Website twice daily...Does it really matter which one was updated faster? And I know for a fact that they went to hotels and were telling people as they walked by regarding updates, because I did it personally...To expect them to communicate how everyone individually wants them to is asking a little much...It would take a team of people to Tweet, Tumblr, Facebook, email, text, call, update answering machines, google+, myspace, website updates, etc...Facebook does not require personal information except for an email address and you can get alerts to your phone just like your email. 

I think suggesting new ways of communicating is great, but it should be done in a positive way. And remember, all of the people trying to get the important information out to you, are volunteers.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #257 on: August 14, 2014, 05:54:12 PM »
Heather:

While I agree that it'd take a team of people to send out notices on all of the "major" forms of communications these days -- choosing just one, as you suggest by implication, doesn't necessarily make it the right thing - or the only thing to do.  And by the same token -- I know fully well that SCTA does have a team of people that take great pains to be in contact with racers, members, crews, and all of the folks interested in land speed racing.

But as a webmaster/owner I know how easy it is to put updates and fresh information on a website.  If there's nobody that's able/authorised to do that for SCTA -- whose fault is that?  Call/email/FB/Tweet/ask that person to do it -- and it can be done quickly.  If it isn't easy -- maybe it's time to find someone whose responsibility is doing the website on a regular and timely basis.  After all of the effort SCTA has put into their website I think naysaying it and its' ability to provide up-to-the minute information is disingenuous.  If I can do it -- and I'm sure not a whiz when it comes to running a computer or site -- then you should be able to find someone in the group that can do it, too.

I expect it smarts for you, just like for me, to be told that "your" way of doing this stuff is not the best.  But - if those that want the information suggest other means you could disregard the negative feelings and look at the suggestions as, perhaps, an even better way to keep us in contact.  As a simple example -- nobody contacted me when there was a new Facebook post about the SpeedWeek "adventure" that was going on at Bville last week.  A good size bunch of SCTA folks have my telephone number, and I was out there with them -- yet my way of getting the information so I could post it on landracing.com was almost unanimously by hearing from others that there had been a new post on Facebook.  Come on -- I'm trying to help get the word out.  I almost feel like you're trying to shut me out.  Almost - but not quite.  I can help spread information if you want my help.

I look forward to hearing from you soon.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #258 on: August 14, 2014, 05:58:39 PM »
  Well  Mystery Person,  It seems that you, like Mystery Woman Sandee, don't think that different points of view or yes, criticism should be debated or put forth on this Website.  Might you be related?
  In one of my earlier posts, M.W.S. sort of skirted a couple of questions that myself and others asked.
  The most important one is this:  When it was decided that Facebook would be the main source of up to date info (what was eventually posted on the SCTA's website seemed to be a condensed version up to Saturdays final call) were all pre-entrants notified on this decision and if so when?  If not, why?
  As I stated in one of my recent posts, I am sure this will all be sorted out before our next meet and I agree that we are in a new era of communications but a very large portion of LSR racers are 60 and above, and don't have a clue (until now) what Facebook or Twitter are even about.
  Obviously the word has spread but if someone (I am neither taking credit for or denying) doesn't risk taking the heat by presenting the other side or point of view, this can could have been kicked a lot further down the road.
  By the way, If you continue to post on this site (and I hope you do), I think you will realize that most folks here will have a lot more respect for what you say if you use your real name and location.
                                                                                                                 With respect for your point of view,
                                                                                                                 Bob Drury
« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 06:01:41 PM by Bob Drury »
Bob Drury

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #259 on: August 14, 2014, 06:09:24 PM »
... yet my way of getting the information so I could post it on landracing.com was almost unanimously by hearing from others that there had been a new post on Facebook.  Come on -- I'm trying to help get the word out.  I almost feel like you're trying to shut me out.  Almost - but not quite.  I can help spread information if you want my help.

I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Jon I don't sense anyone is trying to shut you out.  I don't like FB any better than most on here and don't use it myself, but in this case they said they would post there and did so I feel it is my obligation to either go there or to the SCTA site for information first or find someone that will and get me the info. 

....  As I stated in one of my recent posts, I am sure this will all be sorted out before our next meet and I agree that we are in a new era of communications but a very large portion of LSR racers are 60 and above, and don't have a clue (until now) what Facebook or Twitter are even about....

Bob I really had never used FB, but since I wanted info and that is where it was going to be posted I figured it out.  Compared to all of the things we have to figure out to run on the salt this is minor and as John has pointed out you don't have to join FB to get the info.  Go there once and save it in your favorites. 

By the way, If you continue to post on this site (and I hope you do), I think you will realize that most folks here will have a lot more respect for what you say if you use your real name and location.
                                                                                                                 With respect for your point of view,
                                                                                                                 Bob Drury

Bob, not picking on you, but come on, you, me and a couple dozen other people on here post with our real names.  Does that mean we don't have respect for the others?

Sumner

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #260 on: August 14, 2014, 06:25:55 PM »
What's a favorite?
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #261 on: August 14, 2014, 06:31:01 PM »
  Sum,  as for your first statement you seem to assume that we all bring lap top computers or have those new thingies that won't fit in my pockets.
  In answer to your second statement I suggest you reread my post.  I said MORE RESPECT for what you say and I stand behind it.
  In most cases, unless you are a newby you soon figure out who is behind the pseudoname and virtually all post their location (which at least gives one a hint).
  I respect everything you post Sum and you might notice, if I post in jest I use "Ol' One Run", but if I am serious about something I mean what I say, right or wrong, and you can bet your bippy I will use my given name.
                                                                         With respect to all,
                                                                         Bob Drury
« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 06:32:39 PM by Bob Drury »
Bob Drury

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #262 on: August 14, 2014, 06:46:18 PM »
My point, Sum, was that I was in the thick of it with many SCTA folks, and when they were posting their updates on Facebook they could easily have told me of the new information.  I got information on many things first-hand since Nancy and I see them and work with them and hang around with the SCTA folks, but I didn't get much of the information that we were getting via Facebook.  They know quite well that I operate the site, and they know that we've got many racers on the site, so to have me get the information to post wouldn't have been that difficult or time-consuming.  That's what I meant -- not that we shouldn't use their methods, but that they might want to use what lr.com has available, too.  The more information that's put out there, to the largest number of people -- the better.  At least that's my opinion.

I'm not trying to argue that the SCTA didn't send out information - not at all.  I'm offering an olive branch by saying that I think this site can give more visibility to their intended audience, and that I'm offering help.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline bak189

« Reply #263 on: August 14, 2014, 06:58:30 PM »

More than once I have been told by SCTA/BNI "officials"......."I don't care to see any of this info. on that bull shit rag Landracing.com".............enough said.................................................................They don't like your "rag", Jon.............................
Question authority.....always

Offline landspeedracer

• New folks
« Reply #264 on: August 14, 2014, 07:08:47 PM »
Bob Drury,

I believe there is a difference between constructive criticism and just plain criticism. I never said that you debating things was wrong. In fact, all I did was express my opinion, just as you did.

Question #1:
When it was decided that Facebook would be the main source of up to date info (what was eventually posted on the SCTA's website seemed to be a condensed version up to Saturdays final call) were all pre-entrants notified on this decision and if so when? 

I don’t believe that Facebook was made the main source of up to date info, it was just an added source. The posts that were on Facebook were on the website as well. It’s a lot quicker to post something on the Facebook Page because it can be done right from your phone with a copy/paste. There is a lot more involved in updating a web page. The posts I saw on the website through out the time we were there, were almost identical to the ones on Facebook. As far as the “condensed version” as you call it, no matter how you write it, cancelled is cancelled. Contacting Pre-Entrants – You would have to attend a Board Meeting and ask, I do not handle that.

Response to statement the new era of communication:

I very much understand that there a lot of people that choose not to use Facebook or Twitter. My whole point in writing on this page was to express, the SCTA did everything they could with the tools they had to work with in getting the information out. If people have suggestions that they think might better the communication, go to a board meeting and talk about it.

As far as respect because I didn’t use my name:

I noticed a lot of people on this forum do not use their name, but I respect everyone’s opinion that I read on this forum...As adults we should be able to have a civil conversation with one another without throwing digs at them like “Mystery Person”…If it is really important for you to know my name, it is Heather Black. And I think every volunteer that was out at Speed Week this year did an outstanding job & I appreciate every single one of them.

Offline bak189

« Reply #265 on: August 14, 2014, 07:18:41 PM »
And Jon....why does it state under my posting name "new folks"............SCTA/BNI have always done things "their way" even if it does not make any sense....it has worked well for them....they have been at it for a very long time.............but at times it will piss you off..............remember same "old group of good old boys" they just rotate around........but on the whole they do get the job done..........................................
I love them all...................."the long and the short and the tall"........................................................

NOT a "mystery person"  BOB BAKKER................BAKKER MOTORSPORTS
Question authority.....always

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #266 on: August 14, 2014, 07:20:38 PM »
I'm sorry ladies, but someone is misinformed.  scta-bni.org was rarely updated.  In particular, it went approximately 24 hours, from Thursday late afternoon until Friday afternoon/evening, without an update, while FB had 3 or 4 (or more) updates.

If you guys had simply had the webmaster put a clickable link to FB with a BIG message that said to the effect of "Click here for the latest info" things would have been easier for some.

Many people really dislike Facebook.  Some of us abhor it because of it's apparent lack of ethics and morals, i.e., they seem to do just about ANYTHING for a few extra pennies (x however many million users it has).

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #267 on: August 14, 2014, 07:27:37 PM »
Heather - and Bob:

Finding out who's this person using an assumed name on the landracing.com Forum isn't all that hard.  It's how I figured out who you are, Heather.

Go to a post put there by the person you're trying to identify.  Under the "name" you'll see a few icons, one of which will take you, when clicked upon, to an email form addressed to the person.  Click and you'll see the email addy, and in many cases - heather's and mine, for instance - you'll be able to read in plain English to whom it'll go.  for that matter - you don't even have to click on the email icon.  Just put your cursor on the email thingie and wait a few seconds and viola -- there's the email address of the person.  It is not necessary to be an administrator or owner of the website to do that -- anyone that's a registered member can make it work - easily.  Sure, there are folks whose email address is something other than their name, such as Fudgebar.  I know who belongs to that address - but then, he doesn't keep it a secret, either.  I'm just saying that it doesn't always work to use the email address for identification.  often enough, though, that it's worth trying before getting upset because you think someone is hiding behind an "assumed" name.

Late addition:  Bob, I fooled around with the "status indicators" a while back, removing the old bunch of 'em such as "hero" and newbie" and so on.  That system was used to give some indication of the total number of posts that said person had made.  I changed it to "New Folks" but then set the required numbers too high.  Many people that aren't new became "new folks".  I'll get to changing that to something a bit more representative - or nuke the whole danged thing - soon.  Thanks for reminding me.  You aren't the first to do so, but rather the straw (post) that broke through my mental foggy wall. :?
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #268 on: August 14, 2014, 07:37:46 PM »
....I'm not trying to argue that the SCTA didn't send out information - not at all.  I'm offering an olive branch by saying that I think this site can give more visibility to their intended audience, and that I'm offering help.

...and I think they would be wise to make use of this site whenever possible,  it should be 'all of us' not 'them' and 'us',

Sum

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #269 on: August 14, 2014, 07:38:51 PM »
Geezees  I have read and reread most of these posts---I do not pick up on any hard core attacks--just some suggestions on some additional ways that info could be gotten out---what am I missing

Jon,  he is right about some "officials" resenting and making disparaging remarks about those of us who frequent landracing.com 

been there & been accused & disparaged to my face about my use!!

This is not meant as an attack on the SCTA--just a mere statement of facts and reality:

Some folks just rub others the wrong way and I seem to do so more often than most!!
« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 07:45:18 PM by SPARKY »
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!