Author Topic: SpeedWeek 2014 - the event per se  (Read 261738 times)

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
Re: SpeedWeek 2014 - the event per se
« Reply #225 on: August 12, 2014, 10:32:54 PM »
Thanks one run, I will announce the USFRA meet if it's dry enough to run. I ain't done yet. :cheers:
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #226 on: August 12, 2014, 10:33:36 PM »
  Sum, it was also great to get what little time we had to share.  I hope Ruth is doing better.  See you next year and even OLD Hooley.
                                                                                                      Bob
Bob Drury

Sandee

« Reply #227 on: August 12, 2014, 10:41:38 PM »
 Why cannot a separate phone message only line (possibly mobile) be set up by the SCTA accessable  by SCTA officials that is only used before and at SCTA/BNI meets including El Mirage.  What is so Dodge hard about a single number with a immediate updated recorded message that any dufus can dial up on request?  

This was done and updated twice a day. I already reviewed this in a previous post.

Quote from: Bob Drury link=topic=14205.msg20
What no one here has answered is the question I asked in my very first post:  WHY THE HECK ARE WE NOT POSTING THESE UPDATES ON THE SCTA WEBSITE... you know, the one where you get event dates, entry forms,
event results, rule book info or where to get one.  Is this that fu*king hard?

This was also done, twice daily, as I have previously stated. All info was supplied to each avenue at the same time. The FB postings were immediate and the website was 10 to 30 minutes behind that as changing HTML code takes longer than a simple copy/paste. The info was out there and multiple vehicles carried it.

I

Offline RichFox

« Reply #228 on: August 12, 2014, 10:45:15 PM »
If you were in Wendover and listening to rumors, you got what you asked for. If there was a phone number to call, the message would probably been, "no decision has been made yet. You will be informed if there is any change" When it was decided to cancel the meet, the word got out pretty quick. Before it was decided to cancel the meet, what would you have expected to hear? The phone message would have just been "Meet postponed until Monday" What else would you want in the way of information?

Offline fastesthonda_jim

• Ready to Rock 2003
« Reply #229 on: August 12, 2014, 10:49:10 PM »
   I only wish that they would put you back where you belong.............. The timing tower.

Have hope!  I saw this posted on the men's room wall at Carmen's Black and White:

"For a good time see Glen!"

Can't be sure about the Lady's room, tho'.   D.W., I've known you to get confused sometimes about these things.  Do they say nice things about Glen anywhere in the Lady's room at Carmen's?

(Oh well.  I guess that's it for my dreams of that blue hat.)
2006 SCTA High Points Champeen
2006 Dirty "2" Wrench Of The Year
Bonneville "2" Club 2003
El Mirage Dirty "2"'s 2006
Bonneville Records: G/GS, F/GS (Boy)  G/FS (Girl)
El Mirage Records: F/BFS, F/FS, F/GS, I/FS, I/GS, K/BGS
FIA Records A, II, 8
Unlimited License
300mph line qualified (305.129 best mile speed)
The older half of San Diego's Fastest Couple
2016 Man of Distinction Award
DLRA 2019 Top Speed of The Meet (309.438 Mile - 323.3 GPS)

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #230 on: August 12, 2014, 10:56:15 PM »
"I've heard that if you go outside you can tell if it's raining.  Where you are.  Not five miles away.  No batteries needed."

SB  sometimes your SA attitude does not become you.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 11:04:12 PM by SPARKY »
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #231 on: August 13, 2014, 12:01:25 AM »
Thanks one run, I will announce the USFRA meet if it's dry enough to run. I ain't done yet. :cheers:

That's the icing on the cake.

I want to hear Glen say - "Take it to impound."
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #232 on: August 13, 2014, 01:05:10 AM »
  Not to start (ahem) a rumor, cause this aint one, I wonder if besides the W.O.S., The Cook Shoot out might be interested in enlarging its meet.
  I am sure Mike has already been approached by someone about that subject but it might be a logistical nightmare for Mike and his crew. 
                                                                                   Just Dreamin............ Bob
  Just one more quick thought:  Allthough it wouldn't have mattered at Speedweek, is there a possibility in the future to work out a contingency plan with the BLM that might give the SCTA/BNI to add days to our usage permit as long as it didn't interfere with another event (or, God forbid) another airplane/watch commercial.
Bob Drury

Offline sirstude

« Reply #233 on: August 13, 2014, 10:24:31 AM »
Anybody know if next year's dates have been set?  I always manage to miss them.

Doug
Doug Strong

Hooley (974) lets me work on his car.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #234 on: August 13, 2014, 11:12:40 AM »
I'm going to make a few EWAGs here about extending the various events.

WoS has already stated that if they were to extend their event -- it'd be by adding a day at the beginning.  Here's my EWAG:  I doubt that they could move it more than that one day because of the time required to set up the courses and the time required for the Motorcycle meet to clean up and clear out.  That event is only a few days before WoS anyway.

WoS can't be extended by running it later because Mike Cook's Shootout starts right after WoS and therefore USFRA has to clean up.  Yes, Mike's Shootout is on a different course and a couple of days later than WoS, but course grooming, including where the International course crosses the USFRA courses, take some time.  Don't hurry -- do it right.

Then there's the issue of getting permitted dates from BLM.  The various events get those dates well in advance, and while I don't know for certain, changing them/extending them takes more than just a phone call saying "Please may we have a couple of extra days?"  I won't even add the potential of there being other permits granted of which we know nothing (private time for anything or anyone).

I'll let the groups and BLM and the volunteers do the thinking and calling and wrangling on this subject - as if I could offer much in the way of "new" news anyway. :-)
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #235 on: August 13, 2014, 11:50:05 AM »
I understand that wire was never laid for SpeedWeek.  It was considered that the depth of the water everywhere would damage it.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline jdincau

« Reply #236 on: August 13, 2014, 11:52:51 AM »
Oh Stan I hope that is true, going through all that wire checking splices for integrity is a two day job with 25 or so people at Mangelli's
Unless it's crazy, ambitious and delusional, it's not worth our time!

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #237 on: August 13, 2014, 12:09:05 PM »
  Slim, thank's a lot for the "time line".  I am sure that in the long run trying to change permit dates could be a nightmare. 
                                                                        Bob
Bob Drury

Offline JR529

« Reply #238 on: August 13, 2014, 01:52:05 PM »
Oh Stan I hope that is true, going through all that wire checking splices for integrity is a two day job with 25 or so people at Mangelli's

Yep, Stan is correct. The laying of the wire was put off for a day, then another, and another... It would have been ugly if it sat out there submerged, thankfully it is all still good to go.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #239 on: August 13, 2014, 02:17:03 PM »
I guess I could tell you all about the adventures that Trevor and the rest of his crew from Honey Bucket went through - with Nancy and me, too.  The good thing is that dang near none of them were used before the courses got closed.  That's good because quite a few of them blew down (whether tie down of not).

But now you know why water in the (salt) lake is blue -- from all of the spilled porta-potties.

Also -- Pork Pie and I did go out Saturday afternoon to rescue our pit trailer.  The water came up to the bottom of the wheel rims and was well above our ankles.

If you want to hear more about the toilets you'll have to ask, :evil:
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com