Author Topic: SpeedWeek 2014 - the event per se  (Read 261024 times)

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
Re: SpeedWeek 2014 - the event per se
« Reply #195 on: August 11, 2014, 11:16:20 PM »
I would be willing to add $5.00 to my entry fee for an option to any system that would send me a text notice direct to my phone like motels and airlines do---Andy and I got lucky Sum called me just before we mounted up and put the phone on the charger!! Saved us another 350 mile drive---yeah--!!!!!!!!!

And I was then able to call my son before he got on a plane!!
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Freud

« Reply #196 on: August 11, 2014, 11:32:04 PM »
The best contact line to the Pickle is thru his wife.

More personable and when she looks at him and says "talk"

he does. She says "shut up" and he does.

Gotta learn the methods of royalty.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline Roadster943

« Reply #197 on: August 12, 2014, 12:17:17 AM »
I would be willing to add $5.00 to my entry fee for an option to any system that would send me a text notice direct to my phone like motels and airlines do---Andy and I got lucky Sum called me just before we mounted up and put the phone on the charger!! Saved us another 350 mile drive---yeah--!!!!!!!!!

And I was then able to call my son before he got on a plane!!
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               How about we keep in mind that we have no control over Mother Nature and that this is an event put on in the middle of nowhere BY VOLUNTEERS.
Land Speed Racing, The sheer joy of spending every dime you've got racing for nothing but glory. David Freiburger

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #198 on: August 12, 2014, 02:10:53 AM »
I assure you I am well aware of that---I am TRYING to support them and our sport by a system that would work for as many as possible---a text message to a mobile phone number listed on your entry would work for almost everyone---  if I follow this thread correctly this system has be mentioned already.  I would bet it is as simple or more so than posting to face book----ymmv
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

Offline F104A

• http://www.landspeed.com
« Reply #199 on: August 12, 2014, 12:23:52 PM »
Beings that I hauled my racecar all the way there, do I get a participant sticker?
Ed

Offline fastesthonda_jim

• Ready to Rock 2003
« Reply #200 on: August 12, 2014, 12:44:17 PM »
I think you may be able to wangle a cap, in that if you had paid an entry, shown up, started to set up your pit and then realized that you had forgotten your fire suit or some such, and had to race home to get it and broke down on the way back, only to arrive just as the meet was ending, I think you would still be able to get a cap.

I think....

OTOH it may be that you get that stuff after you've passed tech......   Did you get teched in one of the parking lots?

(So many questions... so little REAL information)
2006 SCTA High Points Champeen
2006 Dirty "2" Wrench Of The Year
Bonneville "2" Club 2003
El Mirage Dirty "2"'s 2006
Bonneville Records: G/GS, F/GS (Boy)  G/FS (Girl)
El Mirage Records: F/BFS, F/FS, F/GS, I/FS, I/GS, K/BGS
FIA Records A, II, 8
Unlimited License
300mph line qualified (305.129 best mile speed)
The older half of San Diego's Fastest Couple
2016 Man of Distinction Award
DLRA 2019 Top Speed of The Meet (309.438 Mile - 323.3 GPS)

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #201 on: August 12, 2014, 01:00:57 PM »
I assure you I am well aware of that---I am TRYING to support them and our sport by a system that would work for as many as possible---a text message to a mobile phone number listed on your entry would work for almost everyone---  if I follow this thread correctly this system has be mentioned already.  I would bet it is as simple or more so than posting to face book----ymmv

I don;t text as many others don't,  A phone is for talking.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline fastesthonda_jim

• Ready to Rock 2003
« Reply #202 on: August 12, 2014, 01:25:41 PM »
And talking you do quite well, Glen.  Your typing, OTOH, needs work (I can see why you don't text).
Bonneville "2" Club 2003
FIA Records A, II, 8
Unlimited License

Offline donpearsall

• http://soundappraisal.com
« Reply #203 on: August 12, 2014, 01:44:25 PM »
For such a high-tech, fast-changing sport, why don't some racers keep up with technology in the rest of their life? That is not a criticism, but just a curiosity on the psychology of racers.

Who would NOT want to get a a robo-call or text that the event is canceled while they are still 700 miles away? That call could save them $1000s.

Don
550 hp 2003 Suzuki Hayabusa Land Speed Racer

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #204 on: August 12, 2014, 01:54:22 PM »
Yes Don, technology moves very fast.... LSR technology.... not so much... Flatheads in roadsters are still on the trailing edge of technology... Most of us use all the technology our brains can absorb.
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline sirstude

« Reply #205 on: August 12, 2014, 02:36:08 PM »
For such a high-tech, fast-changing sport, why don't some racers keep up with technology in the rest of their life? That is not a criticism, but just a curiosity on the psychology of racers.

Who would NOT want to get a a robo-call or text that the event is canceled while they are still 700 miles away? That call could save them $1000s.

Don

I am not a racer, but a helper and watcher.  I make my living with computers, and the last thing I want to do is carry one (smart phone) with me during the few hours I am not working on them.  The other issue, is I am cheap.  I get my phone that lets me keep in touch with my family for just over $25 a month.  Each text costs me 0.25, and the first two that I got were trying to sell me something.  Just what I want to do, pay for someone to sell me something.  I did keep up on the computer on this issue until we left Saturday morning to head down.  I am extremely grateful that George Hake gave me a call when we were only 150 miles down the road.  I am old and kind of set in my ways, but has been said, a phone is to talk on.  I do realize I am in a minority, but as long as there is some kind of notification, that works.  Just don't want a smart phone to be the only method of notification.  I did not have any issues with how it was done over the week. 
Please take this with a grain of salt as I am not unhappy with anyone just commenting on the why does not everyone have a smart phone?

Doug
Doug Strong

Hooley (974) lets me work on his car.

Offline hotrod

• Black Horse photo
« Reply #206 on: August 12, 2014, 02:58:51 PM »
Doug almost the same thing here.

I also work in IT and have never owned a smart phone nor wanted one.
I have the cheapest plain Jane cell phone I can buy, it does talk and text only.
About 95% of my cell minutes get burned up by work pages generated by the servers.

I make maybe 1 possibly 2 personal voice calls a month and perhaps 3-4 personal text messages a month.
All the rest of the usage goes to service work pages. The people that I keep in touch with I talk to via email or FB messages.

That is why until this year, I simply unplugged when I went out to bonneville and would drop off all the forums, FB and email, because I literally had no way to do it out there by choice.

That said, I prefer text messages over voice calls by a wide margin, with email a close second.

I work night shifts and the last thing I want to do is get woken up at 10:00 AM (my 5:00 in the morning) by some sales call, and for some reason my friends don't appreciate a voice phone call at 2:00 AM in the morning which is my early evening (like normal people's 8:00 pm). With text and email I can answer a message 6 hours after it is sent and everyone is happy. Also where I live and work voice cell service sucks unless I go outside the building, and chatting on phone on the sidewalk in a snow storm is not high on my fun list.

My recent purchase of a tablet is a middle ground, it does not make phone calls, which is a good thing in my world, but it can send and receive email (something I could not do on my old school cell phone).
I can also use it to post on a few forums and check weather forecasts etc. which is what justified its purchase.

I personally would love to get a push text message update about Bonneville events, but I completely understand folks who have other habits of communication and other preferences.

http://www.pewinternet.org/2011/09/19/americans-and-text-messaging/

According to Pew Research just a bit over 1/4 of Americans do not use text messaging at all.

Some 83% of American adults own cell phones and three-quarters of them (73%) send and receive text messages.

My personal use of text messages and voice calls is an order of magnitude lower than average users.
I personally hate blind calling people I don't know very well, unless they have told me when it is a good time to call them.
I won't even answer a voice phone call from an unknown number. If they are a friend and know me they know to send me a text message.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 03:01:25 PM by hotrod »

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #207 on: August 12, 2014, 04:26:31 PM »
The main reason I said text is more than once it has saved my bacon when I was able to pull my phone out and---right there in writing was my conformation!!!

I have always asked for the dumbest phone possible---well it is now a whole lot smarter than I ever care to be about most of its capability---that I do not use and will not

Offline fastesthonda_jim

• Ready to Rock 2003
« Reply #208 on: August 12, 2014, 04:34:44 PM »
Hey, hotrod,
Don't forget that your ("does not make phone calls") tablet can probably use Skype!  
And for what we are talking about Text is miles better for notification than voice, in that the technology of texting is that when the carrier receives a text and is told to send it out, the carrier begins to poll the airways, looking for the particular device.  It does nothing until it gets a signal from the device letting it know that the device is in a place where it can receive, at which point the carrier sends the text.  When it is all done the device responds with what it has received and the carrier checks that against what was sent.  If they match everyone disconnects.  If they don't, the text is re-sent until the two devices match.  Wayy better than, "You're breaking up... can you repeat that?  Huh?  What?  Can you hear me now?")

Just sayin'
Bonneville "2" Club 2003
FIA Records A, II, 8
Unlimited License

Offline hotrod

• Black Horse photo
« Reply #209 on: August 12, 2014, 04:55:50 PM »
Have never used skype.

Email does a perfectly good job of sending single or multiple text messages to cell phones if you have the proper text message address information.
The provider will queue up the text message and deliver it when it makes connection with the addressed device.

If the organization does not set something up, if people going to this year's World of Speed want text messages on their cell phones of major announcements I could send them notifications based on the official USFRA web page info if I had their cell number and carrier info.

All I would need is the cell phone number of the phone they want the text message to go to and the carrier that provides their cell service.
Then build a list of those addresses and to send a message just cut and paste that list of addresses into an email and poof send a text message.

I plan on going to the Shoot Out, but will be at home/work during the run up to and running of World of speed.