Author Topic: SpeedWeek 2014 - the event per se  (Read 261040 times)

Offline Beairsto Racing

Re: SpeedWeek 2014 - the event per se
« Reply #180 on: August 11, 2014, 03:16:01 PM »
We tried to make the best of it and spent a couple of enjoyable days hanging out in the Nugget parking lot. We unloaded the bike and talked to countless other racers and spectators. The highlight was when a Japanese team stopped by to check out the Double...not much English, but huge smiles and lots of laughter when I invited them to stretch out across the bike and much applause when I fired up both engines...priceless.

We have been coming to Bonneville since 2000 and have never had the chance to check out the old bomber base, this year we did and certainly encourage others to check out the museum and history there...humbling.

The weather and salt conditions are always a crap shoot at best. We choose to compete at Bonneville because of the challenges from all directions but also because of the people who share the same passion...if it was easy, everyone would do it.

I'm grateful for the efforts of the SCTA and many volunteers. I look forward to returning for the World Finals if conditions allow it, if not the trailer is already packed for 2015.

Cheers,
Scott

2 Club since '02
Sponsored by: Turple Bros.,
Palliser Chevrolet, Hose Headquarters, Bentley's Motosicle Pain Tin, The Window Man

Offline WOODY@DDLLC

• ECTA made it to AR-Kansas!
    • Design Dreams, LLC
« Reply #181 on: August 11, 2014, 03:22:20 PM »
Interesting thread! But I was IN the plane with the cell phone off when the post was made to FB which I view but will not join and did not know that was the OFFICIAL SCTA info site until now!  :-(

But the trip was not a total loss - I spied a Walmartian in SLC!  :-o :-o :-o

Subaru happens - next stop Top Speed Meet!!  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Best of luck to all your alternate plans!!  :cheers:

Don't forget you can thrash at ECTA in September!  :-D
All models are wrong, but some are useful! G.E. Box (1967) www.designdreams.biz

Offline hotrod

• Black Horse photo
« Reply #182 on: August 11, 2014, 03:27:57 PM »

Stan:

Perhaps those of that had to stay at home can help by bringing the information over and posting it on the event thread. After all SLim is busy on the Salt as the Honey Bucket Zar! Next event I will try and update the thread with SCTA posts from facebook and if others follow then the folks that prefer this thread versus signing up for FB can come here for what they need.

That is exactly what happened this time.
I posted the following  in post #83 in this thread 1 minute after it hit the SCTA face book page, (when it was 1 minute old) then I went over to the landspeedracing facebook page to do the same.

Folks stuck at home basically forwarded the info in real time to other forums/pages once it hit the SCTA facebook page which was sooner than it hit the SCTA official web page. This is perfectly understandable because it is a lot more hassle to update a web site home page, than to post a simple cut and paste to an application designed for exactly that sort of quick transmission of information.

Crowd sourcing that sort of notification tree is by far and away faster than any other means for an organization to get the word out.
The only thing needed is for interested people to know where to look for the first release of info and it will quickly spread across all commonly used forums, literally in a matter of 2-3 minutes for something like this where people are actively monitoring for information.

« Reply #83 on: August 07, 2014, 07:43:19 PM »

Reply with quoteQuote
SCTA face book post

SCTA Southern California Timing Association at Bonneville Salt Flats
1 min ·

Bonneville Salt Report, August 7, 8:30pm: after a complete review of the Bonneville Salt Flats, it appears that the courses are drying and we expect continued improvement. The Board has decided to start site cleanup on Saturday, August 9th, allowing all participants onto the salt for pit selection and inspection. We hope to start racing on Monday, August 11th based upon course conditions. The SCTA merchandize trailer will be open on the entry road for all SCTA products. The Board thanks all racers and fans for their continued support and patience during this delay. We will have another update tomorrow morning to provide current conditions but for now, Speed Week and the Century of Speed celebration is still on!
« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 03:32:11 PM by hotrod »

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #183 on: August 11, 2014, 04:05:26 PM »
   Also no death threats (so far!).

I had an inquiry about your home address, but I refused to tell them.

Their offer was too small.   :lol:

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #184 on: August 11, 2014, 04:16:06 PM »
I'll comment on the Verizon (or anyone) "air card" device.  We have Verizon phones and their card (which looks like a big thumb drive.  We've used it for about 8 years as our only connection to the internet.  We don't have wire or cable or anything else to get internet at the house, and even the ATT phone signal isn't good -- ergo Verizon.  Since we've had the device and our entire phone contract for years -- we've got an unlimited data ration for our $60/month, and as long as we renew the contract - rather than getting a new one for any reason - we keep the unlimited data.  What with babysitting this and another website or two it's not uncommon for us to churn through 10 gigabytes/month.  And it's useable, as mentioned above, anywhere there's enough signal to make a phone call.  It's what I'm using to post this as we scoot eastward on I-94 in eastern Montana.

It works fine on the salt, too.  All of the photos that I've put here over the years have gone up through the card, and when the file is too big to go onto the site - I send those big files to the Photobucket library and then post 'em that way.  5MB file photo?  Fine.  Those 12-15MB photo files that Pork Pie sends us for the Salt Talks t-shirt?  Aircard.

If you want any other information I'll try to answer questions, but for our dollar -- they're great.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline RogerL

« Reply #185 on: August 11, 2014, 05:07:50 PM »
Stan's comments about potholes is pretty worrisome. We are entered in the WOS meet, certainly hope things improve by then. Maybe we will get a calibration on salt conditions during the BUB meet, assuming it goes as scheduled.

Offline Buickguy3

« Reply #186 on: August 11, 2014, 06:16:49 PM »
  Jon,
   We had an ATT unlimited data plan with an aircard and got a notice that they were going to end support for the 3G phones and that we would have to upgrade to 4G and that they would no longer be offering us the unlimited plan even a Grandfathered one. We now have Verizon.
   Doug  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
I keep going faster and faster and I don't know why. All I have to do is live and die.
                   [America]

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #187 on: August 11, 2014, 08:18:26 PM »
Hey, Doug - I'd forgot about that little bit.  We, too, had to upgrade to 4G, but our local Verizon shop managed to let us keep the contract.  What we were told to do was buy the card online (from any of the zillionns of air card vendors) and then she'd set it up for us.  She did - and we still have that unlimited plan.

But the good part of the story is that said local Verizon shop is a Marquette-area business that does lots of 2 way radio business as well as being a Verizon rep, and from that we get someone who knows how to talk to real people - instead of a youngster that speaks only in Tech Geek-ese. :roll: :roll:
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline 4-barrel Mike

« Reply #188 on: August 11, 2014, 08:35:45 PM »
Some more pics from Friday:

Burton Brown streamliner:

Flatcad bail-out, Ron Jolliffe, inspector:

Signing off the tech:

More to come.

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline 4-barrel Mike

« Reply #189 on: August 11, 2014, 08:39:48 PM »
Austin, waiting with the rest of us:

The 351 roadster:

Poster on the SCTA sales trailer:

That's all :-(

Mike

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #190 on: August 11, 2014, 09:34:19 PM »
I understand that on Sunday the BLM had to turn jurisdiction of the Salt Flats over to the Coast Guard.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
« Reply #191 on: August 11, 2014, 09:36:02 PM »
Mike , great pics!  Just curious how you got close enough for pics, but I didn't get to meet you?
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Offline 4-barrel Mike

« Reply #192 on: August 11, 2014, 09:56:18 PM »
Well, that's a good question.  I'm trying to think of some way to blame that Drury character, but I don't see how I can. 

Right after those pictures, I went over to, ahem, introduce myself to Chris Conrad.  Jim Kitchen was there and then Marty Strode, and I got distracted.  Every time I looked over at you guys, you seemed really busy with oil leaks or some such.

Sorry.   :oops:

Mike

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #193 on: August 11, 2014, 10:38:36 PM »
  Mike, the guy called me.  I gave him my address near a Fred Meyer in NE Portland.  Told him to look for my Black Roush Ford Pickup and I would be the unarmed bearded guy. 
  Sleep tight......................................  One Run, out.................................. :-o
Bob Drury

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #194 on: August 11, 2014, 11:06:28 PM »
I spied a Walmartian in SLC!  shocked shocked

ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!! :cheers: 

PRICELESS!!!!!!!!!!!!1
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!