Author Topic: SpeedWeek 2014 - the event per se  (Read 261835 times)

Online Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Re: SpeedWeek 2014 - the event per se
« Reply #120 on: August 09, 2014, 06:06:16 PM »
We just got back from being out there.  Nancy spent the entire day in the sales trailer peddling shirts, posters, pins, rulebooks, etc, and I tried selling some of the Salt Talks shirts there - at the Bend in the Road.  Officer BLM took exception to me doing that because I didn't have a BLM vendor's permit - hunh?  And since I wasn't set up to be an SCTA vendor I couldn't use that affinity as a reason to stay there.  So I meandered down to Land's End where I picked up Pork Pie and we set sail for the pit.  The trailer was moored about 4 miles off shore.  He took photos - and will share them with all of us sooner or later.  Anyway, we got to the trailer and discovered it had moved a few inches in the windstorm.  That's pretty difficult to do since Nancy had put the wheel chocks in place fore and aft the tires.  The trailer hooked up okay and as we moved we found cones underneath - but no chocks.  PP and I shuffled around, back and forth, side to side -- no chocks.  I wonder where the heck they are.  Well, anyway, trailer behind us - like a tug towing a barge - we headed for dry land.  And once there I spent about three hours shooting the breeze with the tourists and the racers.  The good news is that I sold about a dozen shirts -- better than none like BLM would have allowed.  But still, we've got scads of them left. 

Nancy won't be here again this year, so if we do try to have a Salt Talks event at WoS or WF we'd do it without food.  Just too much hassle trying to run the show by myself and cook, too.  But lots of folks want a Salt Talks, and it'll be a way to get rid of the extra shirts/make a buck for the website.  If you want shirts -- please, feel free to get in touch.

For now that's it.  Later on I'll tell you about the mud/silt that's on the top of the salt underwater.  Lots of it - fine, sloppy, gonna be a mess type silt.  Tune in again for more stories.  And if you stopped by for a howdy -- thank you very much.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline mtkawboy

« Reply #121 on: August 09, 2014, 06:20:06 PM »
Thanks for all you do to support racing on the salt Slim

Offline Rob

« Reply #122 on: August 09, 2014, 07:58:05 PM »
I tried to grab you as you went by the SCTA trailer on the way in Slim but you were concentrating on not hitting wayward pedestrians.  :-D

Online Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #123 on: August 09, 2014, 08:18:44 PM »
Dang, Rob -- sorry I didn't see you.  And it wasn't wayward walkers I was avoiding -- you saw me maneuvering to try to hit the BLM soldiers. :evil:

Next time for sure, hey?  Thanks for coming for the visit -- even if you didn't get to race.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Rob

« Reply #124 on: August 09, 2014, 08:20:29 PM »
Oh I raced, California to Wendover mate  :-D

There'll be a next time for sure.

Cheers,
Rob

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #125 on: August 09, 2014, 11:34:38 PM »
I am a candidate for several 2XLs if you have them--
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Online Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #126 on: August 09, 2014, 11:37:01 PM »
We've got 'em -- and will hold them out so we've got 2 of them for you.  Ship them -- or hold on 'til WoS or the Shootout or WF?  Let me know.  Thanks very much.

For that matter, maybe you mean that  "several" means more than 2.  Whatever you want -- we've got them. :-D
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline paso54

« Reply #127 on: August 10, 2014, 01:46:10 AM »
It was good to see you at Lands end today Slim  :cheers:
I will wear my Salt talks Tee with pride when I get back to the uk.
And we will return in 2015      8-)

Offline bearingburner

« Reply #128 on: August 10, 2014, 09:18:09 AM »
How is the salt drying ?

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #129 on: August 10, 2014, 10:10:34 AM »
How is the salt drying ?

I guess we will find out in 12 days
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline lvsalt

• http://www.dcwaterjet.com
« Reply #130 on: August 10, 2014, 12:06:49 PM »
It was good to see you at Lands end today Slim  :cheers:
I will wear my Salt talks Tee with pride when I get back to the uk.
And we will return in 2015      8-)

Hi Paso nice talking with you at Montego Bay parking lot,hope to see you next year.have fun at Irwindale.
 :cheers: :cheers:
Gary Cole     DCWATERJET Z

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #131 on: August 10, 2014, 06:47:43 PM »
  Knowing I will most likely take some heat over what I am about to say, here is my opinion after yesterdays cancellation.
  Someone near or at the top of the SCTA hierarchy (spl. ?) should be removed from the position or stripped of decision making for not using the SCTA website or making all entrants aware of a phone number used to keep racers and fans updated on the the current situations  leading up to the Cancellation.
  I and many other racers I spoke with in Wendover have never posted or even (as several told me) used or know how to access  Facebook and in my case only signed up to view and purchase some photos from Pork Pie a few years back.
  Many racers could not access Facebook or don't even know about it being the "official" update site for the SCTA, including the Streamliner we passed near Twin Falls, Idaho still headed for Wendover yesterday afternoon.
  Unfortunatly this is a congested two lane Highway with few turnouts and we had to keep going towards home.
  What the hell is or are these decision makers thinking?  If it was't for Slim using this site to try and keep us all up to date on the situation (and who could sure use some financial support) many racers may have towed for hours and at great expense for no reason.
  I have been punished before (and yes I have proof) by at least one member of the SCTA leadership and may suffer again for this post, but someone needs to get their head out of their a*s and make this information available on a listed phone recording ASAP and their own Website and known phone number.
  I wonder if those involve have ever owned, driven, or paid the expenses out of ther own pocket  to tow a vehicle like the folks from the East Coast or Austrailia who maybe
for whatever reason may still be in transit when a delay or as in this case Event Cancelation have already occurred.
  I hope they feel satisfied (and are most likely smug) while enjoying Facebook.  I hope they also have as many "facebook friends" (and who like me  have never heard of) share their daily drivel with all.
  I like being informed, but about LSR racing, and I don't want to get it from f*ucking Facebook.
                                                                                                        "One Run" Bob Drury
                                                                                                         OLD STUD RACING
                                                                                                         A/CFALT #394

c
Bob Drury

Offline Old Scrambler

• Going Fast - Slowly
« Reply #132 on: August 10, 2014, 07:03:23 PM »
I don't have anything at stake with the SCTA...........I ride motorcycles...........BUT I AGREE WITH YOU :wink:

We are both very close in age to a great number of competitors on the salt.  When I am on the road with my trailer in-tow........the LAST place on earth is facebook or any other NON-OFFICIAL contact point :-o
2011 AMA Record - 250cc M-PG TRIUMPH Tiger Cub - 82.5 mph
2013 AMA Record - 250cc MPS-PG TRIUMPH Tiger Cub - 88.7 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc M-CG HONDA CB750 sohc - 136.6 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc MPS-CG HONDA CB750 sohc - 143.005 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc M-CF HONDA CB750 sohc - 139.85 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc MPS-CF HONDA CB750 sohc - 144.2025 mph

Chassis Builder / Tuner: Dave Murre

Offline thundersalt

• www.americanrvservicecenter.com
« Reply #133 on: August 10, 2014, 07:20:39 PM »
  Knowing I will most likely take some heat over what I am about to say, here is my opinion after yesterdays cancellation.
  Someone near or at the top of the SCTA hierarchy (spl. ?) should be removed from the position or stripped of decision making for not using the SCTA website or making all entrants aware of a phone number used to keep racers and fans updated on the the current situations  leading up to the Cancellation.
  I and many other racers I spoke with in Wendover have never posted or even (as several told me) used or know how to access  Facebook and in my case only signed up to view and purchase some photos from Pork Pie a few years back.
  Many racers could not access Facebook or don't even know about it being the "official" update site for the SCTA, including the Streamliner we passed near Twin Falls, Idaho still headed for Wendover yesterday afternoon.
  Unfortunatly this is a congested two lane Highway with few turnouts and we had to keep going towards home.
  What the hell is or are these decision makers thinking?  If it was't for Slim using this site to try and keep us all up to date on the situation (and who could sure use some financial support) many racers may have towed for hours and at great expense for no reason.
  I have been punished before (and yes I have proof) by at least one member of the SCTA leadership and may suffer again for this post, but someone needs to get their head out of their a*s and make this information available on a listed phone recording ASAP and their own Website and known phone number.
  I wonder if those involve have ever owned, driven, or paid the expenses out of ther own pocket  to tow a vehicle like the folks from the East Coast or Austrailia who maybe
for whatever reason may still be in transit when a delay or as in this case Event Cancelation have already occurred.
  I hope they feel satisfied (and are most likely smug) while enjoying Facebook.  I hope they also have as many "facebook friends" (and who like me  have never heard of) share their daily drivel with all.
  I like being informed, but about LSR racing, and I don't want to get it from f*ucking Facebook.
                                                                                                        "One Run" Bob Drury
                                                                                                         OLD STUD RACING
                                                                                                         A/CFALT #394

c
I think you are in a minority. Every person I spoke to who was there was getting immediate updates from Facebook. Perhaps we should go back to string and tuna cans.
916 REMR
2017 AA/FRMR Bonneville Record holder 234.663
2018 AA/GRMR El Mirage Record holder 223.108
2020 AA/BGRMR Bonneville Record holder 252.438
2021 AA/BGRMR Bonneville Record holder 262.685
El Mirage 200 MPH Club
Drivers/Owners: Brian & Celia Dean

Online Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #134 on: August 10, 2014, 07:23:21 PM »
Well -- I won't throw stones - because I was watching the FB pages to get information that I in turn relayed.  I do agree, Bob, that like many L S R folks -- we're older and than the median Facebooker and probably more of a gearhead than a FB fan.  No offense to FB, no offense to SCTA - and Nancy does enjoy Facebook and that's how I knew how to get into that site to get the scoop I'd then pass on.  I spoke to or email/posted to a bunch of folks this past weekend -- that didn't use Facebook so I know there's a disconnect. 

I'll agree that putting the information out for as many as possible as fast as possible is important, so would vote for putting it on the SCTA site.  I'm not sure - didn't have much chance to check this out - but I don't think the SCTA Facebook page is set up to automatically relay stuff to their website.  Our business site is -- a call to the web guy we use got him to type in this or that command, and now whenever we put something on the Kudos Laser Facebook page it also shows up on the Kudos Laser website.  It's shown in a window that's labeled as being Facebook - but no login or anything is required and it is automatic and fast.  If you'd like to see it go to www.kudoslaser.com and you'll see how it's working.  That feature might well serve one and all pretty well, and since the SCTA FB page is new -- they might not have known about it or might not have had time to set it up.  I'm not throwing stones here -- I want to try to get along with their site so we can both best serve the LSR community - world wide.  What I'm saying is to give SCTA a chance.  I know that they're still smarting from the immense struggles the past few days - and the next few weeks - and won't have time to do something about this minor situation for a little while.

Deep enough for now.  I'll log off and keep trying to find a cheap (read: crack whore) motel for tonight in or around Bozeman, Montana.  Most of them are full.  WTF - is it vacation time in central Montana? :?
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com