Author Topic: Rookie runs  (Read 5351 times)

Swift33

Rookie runs
« on: July 28, 2014, 03:01:18 PM »
Hi ,

Do the "rookie runs" usually start taking place on the Saturday ?

Thanks ,

Stu

Online Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Re: Rookie runs
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2014, 03:07:16 PM »
Yes, they do.  You'll be going to the driver meeting like everyone else, and then you - the rookies - will congregate and go with the Rookie Counselor for your bit of verbal training and then a ride down the rookie course* in your personal vehicle - not the race vehicle.

*  I might be wrong here -- the ride might be on the#3 course like the un-rookies do.

Anyway, course #4 is the "rookie" course, so once the rookie training is complete you'll be sent to do what you will.  Most folks return the their pit, grab the race vehicle, and make their way back to #4 for that first-ever, never-to-be-forgotten ride down the salt.  I envy you - remembering how thrilled I was when I made my first pass.  Best wishes and good luck. :-D
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2014, 03:12:47 PM »
Plan on getting little else done on Saturday.  The meeting, followed by Rookie Orientation will easily take you up until about noon.  If it gets windy, you may be sitting in line waiting to make the first pass.

Do yourself a favor - read this before you leave.

http://scta-bni.org/pdf/2014/2014%20Rookie%20Orientation-Bonneville.pdf

See you on the salt!
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline ronnieroadster

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2014, 08:15:09 PM »
 Can you qualify for a record on your rookie run if the speed you run is above the current record?
Working in the shop I use the 'F' word a lot. No not that word these words Focus and Finish go Fast and Flathead Ford!
 ECTA  XF/BGRMR Record 179.8561
 LTA    XF/BGRMR  Record 200.921 First  Ever Ford Flathead Roadster to hit 200 MPH burning gasoline July 2018
 SCTA  XF/BGRMR Record 205.744  First gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to top 200 MPH at Bonneville August 7, 2021 top speed 219.717
 SCTA  XXF/BGRMR Record 216.131 plus a Red Hat
"Life Member of the Bonneville 200 MPH Club"

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2014, 09:16:50 PM »
Can you qualify for a record on your rookie run if the speed you run is above the current record?

"Rookie drivers/riders may qualify for a record on their rookie run if the existing record is less than 150 mph and ALL rookie run requirements are met."

http://scta-bni.org/pdf/2014/2014%20Rookie%20Orientation-Bonneville.pdf

That said, the officials have the discretion to limit the speed of your rookie run for issues of safety - especially in an untested vehicle.  That's part of the "ALL rookie run requirements" equation.

It's a good idea to get a feel for the car before you really start turning up the wick. 
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline sofadriver

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2014, 02:08:39 AM »
I can't wait to lose my rookie status and get on with it!
13 months of hard work and anxiety almost over.
Finally got to actually ride the bike today. All went VERY well and my spirits are high.
Can't wait to meet a bunch of cool folks on the salt.
Good luck to us all.
Mike in Tacoma

"aww, what the hell - let's just do it".............

Bike #833
100cc A/G, A/F and APS/G (in 2019)

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2014, 08:59:04 AM »
 :cheers: I wish you well---Like SSS  I still remember the  excitement of working those off  :cheers:
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline mkilger

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2014, 10:27:42 AM »
ya I get to do mine this year too. I  got a lot of miles on the salt but not in a roadster  :wink:

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2014, 12:49:23 PM »
To all who care. Don't try to drive a 200 mph high boy roadster at a steady speed when qualifying for licenses. You need to be doing some acceleration. 32 grille shells do not like a non accelerating speed. If you need to go 150 enter your timed mile at 140 and leave that mile at 160 averaging 150. Same for the 175 licence start that mile time at 160 or so and slowly accelerate to end that mile at 180 giving you the correct mph for the licence.  Use one of the formulas using tire size and rear gears to find the RPM needed and connect your brain to the right foot.

Roadsters do not like ANY constant speed. If you ever run that last mile and your engine is at it's peak power thru that mile you will know what I mean..a true "E" ticket ride. I was warned but didn't believe it until it happened. I entered the last mile and only gained 1.5 MPH and had the ride of my life. The car darted both directions and I was at 215.

This does not pertain to aero better cars as much................Good Luck
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline Kiwi Paul

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2014, 01:11:19 AM »
JD...You said a mouthfull. Quite a few of my Spin Reinspections the last few years have had this as their root cause... :cheers:

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2014, 09:08:05 AM »
I can't wait to lose my rookie status and get on with it!
13 months of hard work and anxiety almost over.
Finally got to actually ride the bike today. All went VERY well and my spirits are high.
Can't wait to meet a bunch of cool folks on the salt.
Good luck to us all.

Enjoy your rookie status... you only make your first run on the salt once!  :-D

After 22 years on the salt, I was finally a Rookie in 2000, it was great. 
Take your time, be safe, have fun and go fast  :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O