Author Topic: Course markers  (Read 42032 times)

Offline NathanStewart

Re: Course markers
« Reply #75 on: July 29, 2014, 11:05:37 AM »
What would work better but be twice as expensive is two foam weenies per marker location and then drape a black trash bag over it and whamo, you have the same thing as before but much safer.  Shall we start a donation fund?
El Mirage 200 MPH Club Member

Offline JR529

« Reply #76 on: July 29, 2014, 11:43:22 AM »
After hitting the 2 mile marker flag pole and cutting it off at 137 mph at BUBs (retrieved several pieces inside my fairing), I was given a valuable tip by another rider - - "memorize the horizon when you're on the starting line."  This is quite easy to do when making a down run as floating mountain is usually in view, but maybe not always.  It has helped me immensely to keep centered.

I have never ridden a M/C at speed on the salt, Just cars. So forgive my potential ignorance but I have to ask. How is it possible to hit a course marker going only 137 MPH?

Is the vibration a problem, making things difficult to see?
Was there an unexpected crosswind?
Is your tuck position such that the helmet make it difficult to see?
Are grooves in the salt leading you around?
Is aero buffeting shaking you so much you lose visual details but can still see the big picture (floating mountain)?

From your description it sounds like you still have the ability to keep centered if you had a better a frame of reference. Is that true?

JR

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #77 on: July 29, 2014, 03:23:52 PM »
I'm pretty sure this face shield would not have stopped the PVC tube that clobbered this helmet.

I'm pretty sure the PVC tube wouldn't have clobbered Fogie's helmet if he hadn't driven through the marker.   :-D :wink: 

Offline Koncretekid

« Reply #78 on: July 31, 2014, 07:15:16 PM »
After hitting the 2 mile marker flag pole and cutting it off at 137 mph at BUBs (retrieved several pieces inside my fairing), I was given a valuable tip by another rider - - "memorize the horizon when you're on the starting line."  This is quite easy to do when making a down run as floating mountain is usually in view, but maybe not always.  It has helped me immensely to keep centered.

I have never ridden a M/C at speed on the salt, Just cars. So forgive my potential ignorance but I have to ask. How is it possible to hit a course marker going only 137 MPH?

Is the vibration a problem, making things difficult to see?
Was there an unexpected crosswind?
Is your tuck position such that the helmet make it difficult to see?
Are grooves in the salt leading you around?
Is aero buffeting shaking you so much you lose visual details but can still see the big picture (floating mountain)?

From your description it sounds like you still have the ability to keep centered if you had a better a frame of reference. Is that true?

JR
Partial streamliner, head down, 16 mph crosswind, plus inexperience.  I'm not sure how far apart the course markers were at Bub's, but I lost my line and then the marker came up directly ahead.  Yes, even at 137 mph, it is impossible to make a correction when the marker is dead ahead.  Point is, take a horizon reference before you start and keep it centered.  I've made dozens of runs since with no problem.
Tom
We get too soon oldt, and too late schmart!
Life's uncertain - eat dessert first!

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #79 on: August 01, 2014, 08:22:33 AM »
Nathan, you're close to what it's likely gonna be.  Two foamies at each location with a black drape to make them even more visible.  that's the Board consensus.

By the way, most of the ideas that have been propounded here were, indeed, thought of by the Board folks, too.  Balloons work at EM -- but that's a one day meet.  Even when it's two days -- the balloons get replaced for day #2 because the wind overnight will blow them so much that the balloon touches the lakebed surface - and pow, there goes the balloon.  The helium leaks out, yes, but over a day or so it doesn't leak all that much.

A vinyl or plastic balloon might last -- but there's heavy and won't tear upon being hit.  A balloon held in place by a fiberglass rod probably wouldn't hit the surface - but the rod, even if it's pretty thin - would be too much of a whap if hit from speed.

And so on.  I guess we'll have to trust that the ideas were examined and that the foam weiners will be the best to keep the courses edges visible.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline jl222

« Reply #80 on: August 01, 2014, 11:55:35 AM »

Speed Demon to pay all labor cost to install foam markers? Justin Coffman, crew member, is in charge of course markers this year and has been installing the 1/4 mile markers for years. Does this mean
 That the course marker crew will not be installing the 1/4 mile makers and if they do, do they get a raise :?

Cost to install 1/4 markers has been part of BNI expenses for years, SCTA/BNI has to ding Speed Demon for labor? SCTA should be greatful to Speed Demon for supplying the markers.

Thanks George and Ron :cheers:

JL222

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #81 on: August 01, 2014, 12:04:47 PM »
Ask Scott Andrews and Ron Main about the various ways to pay for the labor installing the markers.  It all started when George said he couldn't see the lines from his chair in the Speed Demon.  The team therefore will do the work on course #1.  The idea hit home after some more talking by Ron and especially Scott - so now both long courses will have the markers and I think course #3 is set for them, too.  But who will install them and who will pay for that work - I dunno.  i wonder if I'll get asked to check them at the end of each day, for instance, when I'm out there checking on the toilets. :?
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline modelAsteve

« Reply #82 on: August 01, 2014, 12:36:32 PM »
I think we should use the porta-potties for course markers! They are highly visible and people complain they are to far apart and can never find them!
Steve a.k.a. "trash picker"

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #83 on: August 01, 2014, 01:36:53 PM »
So the $31.25 per price... is that per weenie or per marker position which sounds like it's going to be two weenies and one bag?

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #84 on: August 01, 2014, 05:42:43 PM »
I'd surely help set them up, but alas, I only have a few days available to slink out of the shop and attend Speed Week. However, I would gladly volunteer some time each evening checking on the weenies.  :-D
Maybe there is no Heaven. Or maybe this is all pure gibberish. The product of a demented hill billy who has found a way to live out where the winds blow. To sleep late, have fun, drink whiskey, and drive fast on empty streets with nothing in mind except falling in love or getting arrested.    H.S. Thompson

Offline desotoman

« Reply #85 on: August 01, 2014, 05:48:16 PM »

By the way, most of the ideas that have been propounded here were, indeed, thought of by the Board folks, too.  Balloons work at EM -- but that's a one day meet.  Even when it's two days -- the balloons get replaced for day #2 because the wind overnight will blow them so much that the balloon touches the lakebed surface - and pow, there goes the balloon.  The helium leaks out, yes, but over a day or so it doesn't leak all that much.

From my personal experience of putting Balloons out at El Mirage for the second day of a two day meet, these were my observations:

Some Balloons did not need to be replaced and were left as is.

Some balloons did deflate or explode, but the reason could be anything from the Balloon hitting a vehicle, the Balloon being overinflated, people getting drunk and think it is funny to sit on or pop a balloon etc. How could I tell? Balloon remnants were still attached to the string.

Some Balloons were missing in action. Strings had been cut not broken. You can tell the difference

El Mirage is much different than Bonneville in that people can park and camp right next to the cones that the balloons are attached to, and the string depending who is measuring it can be 18-20 feet long. This allows the balloon a large radius it can travel in depending on the wind, thus hitting vehicles parked next to the cones.

These balloons are much stronger than you would think, they are not your typical Kid's balloons. Another thing I found out is the balloon is much stronger if you only fill it to about 80- 90% of its capacity as this allows for the balloon to expand and also gives it some give when it hits the ground which equals less breakage.

These were my observations.

Tom G.

I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline kustombrad

• Project No Bucks '49
« Reply #86 on: August 01, 2014, 11:15:24 PM »
I have a dumb question that kind of pertains to this. Why is it the 5 mile marker looks like the rest of them? The guys doing 400+ are looking so far into the horizon that you'd think orange would just look like orange. If you were distracted for a second or two looking at gauges or whatever, it seems like it would or could be easy to lose count. I always wondered why the last marker (on all the courses) wasn't just a different color (safety green maybe) so you wouldn't have to be actually looking at mile markers. I know, dumb question but I was just curious.

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #87 on: August 02, 2014, 03:06:56 AM »
Ron Benham used to say "Put five marbles in your mouth. When you pass a mile marker either spit one out or swallow one. When you're out of marbles, pull the 'chute." I like your idea too.  :cheers: Wayno

Offline dw230

« Reply #88 on: August 02, 2014, 10:13:47 AM »
If you are in a car that can do 400 MPH you don't have gauges, you do a down load of data at the end of the run. A red light for low oil pressure? You cannot react fast enough to save the engine. Water temp climbing? The engine will slow down and you feel it in the seat of your pants.

If you are slower than 400 MPH you can count mile markers or swallow marbles.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline kustombrad

• Project No Bucks '49
« Reply #89 on: August 02, 2014, 10:28:19 AM »
 I remember reading that Tom Burkland looked down and lost where he was and pulled his chutes early and I wondered how or why that could be possible today. I'm sure years ago when it was decided to put up mile markers, all you could find was "safety orange". Now we have "dayglo/flourescent everything" so it would be a very easy thing to try. When you're out there driving pretty much anything, you have your hands full watching where you're at, staying in the middle, trying not to loop it, etc. and I was just wondering why after all these years, guys are still "counting". Drive 'til you see (insert color here) and shut it off, then you're not steeling the kids marbles either...