Author Topic: Course markers  (Read 41993 times)

Offline desotoman

Re: Course markers
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2014, 12:39:42 AM »
Since I am known for asking questions, I must ask why would you want these expensive pieces of foam? Have any tests been done on them, to see what the results are? I have seen funny cars hit foam on the race track at the drags that cover the timing lights and they do damage to the cars. So one of my questions is where is the data on these units?  

IMO what would be wrong with using 3 foot black balloons on other courses, using regular compressed air to fill them. We use them all the time at El Mirage, but there we use Helium and float them 15 feet in the air. Helium is expensive, and at Bonneville you could just use compressed air and tie them to the salt with an anchor. Pretty simple really and the cost would be much cheaper especially when bought in quantity. Sorry I don't have any data on hitting a balloon.

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline salt

• EMD2CLM - B2CLM
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2014, 12:54:11 AM »
Sum, sent $100 via paypal for course marker fund. Plus, a little "sumpthin" to keep your site going.
Foam, balloons, flags, we don't care, let's just mark the course properly.

Willi
Kraut Bros.
Who Has More Fun?

Offline desperate

• www.britchopper.co.uk
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2014, 09:01:59 AM »
When I ran my Indian in 2012 (first visit from the UK) the 1/4 mile markers were a godsend. I didn't run that fast, but by counting the markers I knew where I was & when to open it up. In light winds my bike was shifting the full width of the course & without the markers I would have been on the rough salt. Am I right in thinking there will be a centre line marked this year? There wasn't one in 2012.
Don't push me, I'm close to the edge.

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2014, 09:08:12 AM »
'Splain to me why a piece of flexible foam on a stake should cost about $25. :? Or is that including installation...  :roll:

I'm not intending to detract from the importance of this effort- just puzzled by the cost. And also- curious just HOW DO you put those foot-long stakes into the salt?

Actually about $31.25 a piece as 6 are needed per mile if we go to the 8 mile, 48 total.  In this day and age where it is hard to get volunteers to do anything and people pay for about everything I guess if they have to have some business do these then that isn't a bad price.  How many of us would make these for the cause on our time and if we were doing if for profit what would we charge?  This late in the game if they are going to get done they are probably going to have to pay someone to make them.  I'm going to try and catch Scott today and make sure there is still time to have these made.

I think we all like to watch the videos of peoples runs and watch the 1/4 mile markers go by and say to ourselves he is at the 3, the 3 1/4, the 3 1/2, etc..  That will also be gone for those of us that go along for the ride in the car with the driver.

Another point to be considered is if you data log your run and video it you can see what your car speed is at each quarter mile.  From the video you know the seconds from the start of the run to the end of the run.  You data log also shows data at every second.  By knowing how many seconds you are in the run at say the 2 1/5 you can look at your RPM at the same number of seconds and know your speed.  This gives you some comparable data to use.  Right now most of us use the 2 1/4 time but more can be better.  Our 3, 4, and 5 mile times are averages and we don't know for instance what our speed was at the 4 1/4.

So besides the safety aspect there is the visual aspect to any of us viewing run videos and the importance of more useable data from us running a car.  How much is that worth to any of us?

Sum

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2014, 10:30:07 AM »
I think Tom has a good idea.  The car dealers use large ones (maybe 2-foot) and they'll last all weekend.  And they come in bright colors.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2014, 10:39:34 AM »
I think Tom has a good idea.  The car dealers use large ones (maybe 2-foot) and they'll last all weekend.  And they come in bright colors.
Ditto on that one!!
  Sid.

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2014, 10:43:27 AM »
I think Tom has a good idea.  The car dealers use large ones (maybe 2-foot) and they'll last all weekend.  And they come in bright colors.

If you don't use helium how are they going to fly?  If they are down on the ground have we accomplished much?

There are probably a number of solutions that will work, but right now we are dealing with an event that starts in less than 2 weeks.  

In the long run I think the foam might be cheaper than filling and maintaining balloons for a week long meet on two 5 mile courses vs. the 1 1/3 mile EM course where the balloons only have to last a couple days at most.  Hopefully once purchased/made the foam will last a number of years,

Sumner

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2014, 11:34:04 AM »
I think you've overlooked a great solution here.  How 'bout supporting the air-filled balloon with skyhooks that have air-hanger-anchors?  The balloons with hang down from the sky hooks, there'll be no need to refill when the slippery helium leaks out, there won't be anything for the race vehicle to hit if it crosses the course-edge line, and thanks to the anchored hangers they'll stay in place.

Problem solved! :cheers: :cheers:
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline azgearhed

• 1979 Z-28 AA/CBGC & AA/CGC & AA/CBGALT
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2014, 12:01:36 PM »
Thanks for your actions Sum-sent you a PM and sent my donation to your site-and Jon- fairly good idea as the skyhooks are cheap, but they are hard to find.
BC Racing 1979 Z-28
AA/CBGC Record 251.802 Speed Week 2012
AA/CBGALT Record 255.382 Speed Week 2013
AA/CBGC Record 226.104 El Mirage Sept 2015
AA/CBFALT Record 227.954 El Mirage June 2016
AA/CBGC Record 267.878 Speed Week 2018
AA/CBGALT Record 236.458 El Mirage Nov 2016
It's a lot of work to have fun...

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2014, 12:21:17 PM »
I've come up with a refined idea about the skyhook-mounted balloons.  We could fill them with hydrogen and some powdered magnesium, and that way when they get knocked about by a vehicle hitting them they'd explode with a nice, bright flash so we'd know just where the course was crossed.

Yeah, that's even better.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline azgearhed

• 1979 Z-28 AA/CBGC & AA/CGC & AA/CBGALT
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2014, 12:32:48 PM »
So-will you be asking for hydrogen and magnesium donations or do you already have?
BC Racing 1979 Z-28
AA/CBGC Record 251.802 Speed Week 2012
AA/CBGALT Record 255.382 Speed Week 2013
AA/CBGC Record 226.104 El Mirage Sept 2015
AA/CBFALT Record 227.954 El Mirage June 2016
AA/CBGC Record 267.878 Speed Week 2018
AA/CBGALT Record 236.458 El Mirage Nov 2016
It's a lot of work to have fun...

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2014, 12:36:08 PM »
A two-foot diameter bright orange balloon filled with cheap air and tied to the ground would be a lot easier to see (and less expensive) than the foam sticks.  A lot more surface area.

And you could use orange on the way to the five, red thereafter.

Use your imagination -- take a look at a tree limb from a 1/2 mile and a 2-foot bright ball.

And this is from a guy who hates most new ideas.  Please don't discount this so easily.

Stan

Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2014, 12:38:57 PM »
Stan, if you fill the balloons with air -- they'll sit on the ground, right?  After all, air and a balloons is heavier than air, so we're back to something on the ground.  Will a two-foot (dia.) balloon be big enough?  And how would you tie it to the ground without using something that might (repeat might) become a sharp item that could, theoretically, puncture a tire?
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2014, 12:46:11 PM »
A two-foot balloon is sure as helll bigger in area than those stakes.

Drive one of those big 10 or 12-inch nails into the ground and tie the imbedded valve to them.  I'd bet the balloon would disintegrate before pulling one of them out.  I'd rather hit the balloon than one of the timing lights (maybe we should do away with them in safety's name).

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2014, 01:19:45 PM »
A two-foot balloon is sure as helll bigger in area than those stakes.

Drive one of those big 10 or 12-inch nails into the ground and tie the imbedded valve to them.  I'd bet the balloon would disintegrate before pulling one of them out.  I'd rather hit the balloon than one of the timing lights (maybe we should do away with them in safety's name).
I'm still ditto-ing Stan.
  Sid.