Author Topic: Course markers  (Read 41992 times)

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Course markers
« on: July 26, 2014, 10:16:57 AM »
Here's another one about the courses:

It has been decided to do away with the quarter-mile markers -- black plastic drapes over PVC uprights.  It was thought that there's too much hazard in them if and when they're hit by motorcycle racers (been there, done that, no fun :-D).  But without those markers it's difficult for some of the car drivers to see the edges of the course.  Lines are still there, but if the driver is in a very low vehicle with limited side vision -- chances are he might not see the lines.  So therefore I post this.  I got yesterday and will post using the text that came with it.

Course Marking

The SCTA has decided to remove all ¼ mile black bag markers between the mile markers at Bonneville.
This decision was made because of the danger to the motorcycle riders from the PVC pipe that held the black bags.
With the advent of the new lines, the board thought that would be all that we would need to mark the courses.

George Poteet and many other HI speed competitors feel that up 1/4 markers or flags are essential for safety and to keep the vehicle on course for hi-speed vehicles

Scott Andrews came up with a new foam marker that is highly visible with no PVC that we can use as ¼ mile markers.

At the last board meeting the board gave permission to the Speed Demon crew to put down the new foam markers at every ¼ mile between the mile markers on course one.      
Provided that the Speed Demon pay all costs and provide all the labor for installation of the new foam markers.

Ron said he does not think the new lines will be magic, he thinks the course can’t ever be marked enough. Ron said he and George have made more and faster passes than anyone; having watched all the in car video from runs with the black line and without,  Ron knows we need the 1/4 markers from the 0 mile on. George’s comment on the black line last year is that it was useless and we have run with no lines for a decade.

“We need a HERO”

Speed Demon will be providing the ¼ mile markers for course one.

But we now need a sponsor for course two.

The cost is only about $1,500.00.

You can help save someone life by making the course safer.

Call Ron Main w. 818-998-7848-cell 818-523-7005

Scott Andrews w. (818) 700-1030 cell (818) 419-8074

Watch this video and pay close attention to the blue lines that SCTA put down last year.

(They are on each side along the black bags and mile markers)

Please watch every vehicle run down the course!

See if you can see them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Rt2MYQ_jGY

Here is a video of a run during the test and tune at Bonneville.

USFRA put down blue lines down on both sides of the course for 6 miles and also a center line for 5 miles!

Try to see the lines, but you will see the ¼ markers!!!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUrDCXj5S6s&feature=youtu.be&list=UUudh2K7DaZfmUIiOXH-DYzw

Finding the course 2013

Flashpoint Liner Speed Week 2013 Course
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0NR_kQuCKY

Watch how Flashpoint uses the black bags to center car on course.

This is the rear cam on Flashpoint there are blue lines on each side of the course for

6 miles (really) in line with the flags. Can you see them???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUrDCXj5S6s&feature=youtu.be

Don’t get me wrong I think the lines are great addition to the markings of the track, but if you get a little off the course you will need the ¼-mile course markers to find your way back to the course again.

End of copy-and-paste

« Last Edit: July 26, 2014, 12:39:39 PM by Seldom Seen Slim »
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
Re: Course markers
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2014, 11:10:12 AM »
Jon;

You're right-- the lines along side the track were completely invisible. Maybe it's time to consider separate courses for bikes and cars-- the flags can be chosen for visibility & safety for each vehicle. Or separate meets?

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2014, 11:13:01 AM »

“We need a HERO”

Speed Demon will be providing the ¼ mile markers for course one.

But we now need a sponsor for course two.

The cost is only about $1,500.00.

You can help save someone life by making the course safer.

Call Ron Main w. 818-998-7848-cell 818-523-7005

Scott Andrews w. (818) 700-1030 cell (818) 419-8074

I'd also like 1/4 mile markers on both long courses and will be calling today and pledging $100 for markers for course 2.  I've only been down the long course once and can use all the help I can get.  

How about it anyone else?  If any of you are going to be running faster and on the long course, especially for the first time, please give serious thought to supporting this.  Any amount will sure help, and you don't have to be a driver/participant.  Anyone could support this effort and make a better/safer meet for all.  As a spectator it is also easier to see where the courses are and what is happening with the 1/4 mile markers marking the course,

Sum

« Last Edit: July 26, 2014, 11:16:25 AM by Sumner »

Offline nomobux

• New folks
  • Just a old rodder
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2014, 11:36:06 AM »
 Sum. PM sent
"I GOTTS NOMOBUX"

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2014, 12:28:33 PM »
  To those of you who have seen the pictures of my spin at the WF's in 2012, one shot shows the PVC pipe and garbage bag flying thru the air.
  What it doesn't show is the drivers window it broke, the large dent in the drivers door, and the bent stainless trim around the back glass.  If it would have broken the back glass, the entire body would need to be removed to replace it.
  Just to add insult to injury, I also ripped the tread off of two 30" Mickey's ($1700.) sliding sideways thru the rough stuff................. ugh, all this and I still missed running down Stan Back (who was still at the starting line if you know what I mean).
                                                                                                        Ol' One Run, out............................. :-o :roll: :-D
Bob Drury

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2014, 01:37:57 PM »
I talked to Scott and he said for those that want to contribute to this to send in a check to Joann at the SCTA office and mark it for "Course Marker Fund":

SCTA
P.O. Box 10
Orosi, CA  93647-0010

If it is easier you could PayPal me and send me a PM telling me the amount and that it is for the course markers and not my site I'll be glad to get the money to them also.  There is a 'donate button' here ...

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/bvillecar/bonneville-Index.html

Also if you donate and want to post the amount on this thread or PM me the amount I'll keep a running total here..

Course Marker Fund Total:

7-26-14..... $100.00  ... Lloyd -- nomobux - Ellensburg, WA. -- Check to SCTA
7-26-14..... $100.00  ... Sumner -- Blanding, UT -- (MC to SCTA--mine and other PayPall donations)
7-26-14..... $100.00  ... Sparky - Phoenix, AZ -- PayPal
7-26-14..... $100.00  ... Scott -- Beairsto Racing - Alberta Canada -- PayPal
7-26-14..... $100.00  ... Willi -- Kraut Bros. (Salt) - Santa Barbara, CA --PayPal
7-27-14..... $100.00  ... Tim -- azgearhed - Phoenix, AZ -- PayPal
7-27-14..... $100.00  ... Doug -- Buickguy3 -Columbus, MT -- PayPal
7-28-14..... $100.00  ... Ron Gibson - Omaha, NE -- Check to SCTA
7-28-14.....  $50.00   ... Mike -- 4-barrel Mike - Portland, OR -- PayPal

Total......... $850.00 as of 7-28-14

Other Donations:

BobDcuda  -- Check sent to SCTA

« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 10:44:17 AM by Sumner »

Offline jdincau

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2014, 03:01:22 PM »
Slim, who sent you this info?
Unless it's crazy, ambitious and delusional, it's not worth our time!

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2014, 06:39:40 PM »
Sum  I am in for a hun. will follow up later ---  I would like to have them on other than just one course!!
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline nomobux

• New folks
  • Just a old rodder
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2014, 06:43:47 PM »
 Just want you fellas to run safe. My hun is in the mail per Sum's instructions.
"I GOTTS NOMOBUX"

Offline Beairsto Racing

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2014, 06:48:39 PM »
Sum,

$100 sent via paypal.
Thanks for organizing this.

Scott
2 Club since '02
Sponsored by: Turple Bros.,
Palliser Chevrolet, Hose Headquarters, Bentley's Motosicle Pain Tin, The Window Man

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2014, 06:52:29 PM »
Jim, I got this information from Ron Main and Scott Andrews.  I didn't post the photo that was included - of Ron swinging one of the foam thingies like a baseball bat.  If you really want me to do so I'll send that one to you - but save the rest of us from that particular shot - please. :evil:
« Last Edit: July 26, 2014, 06:54:12 PM by Seldom Seen Slim »
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2014, 07:40:19 PM »
The odds are whoever voted against having 1/4 markers sure doesn't drive a Liner or a laydown lakester --- the 1/4 markers HELP ME for sure :cheers:
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2014, 08:09:55 PM »
Thanks guys we are doing great, but one doesn't have to put in $100.....$5.00 -- $10.00 -- ???.  It will all help,

Sumner

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2014, 10:46:36 PM »
A great big THANK YOU to Ron, Scott,v& Sum for taking the lead on this and to SSS for making it possible!!

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2014, 12:31:16 AM »
'Splain to me why a piece of flexible foam on a stake should cost about $25. :? Or is that including installation...  :roll:

I'm not intending to detract from the importance of this effort- just puzzled by the cost. And also- curious just HOW DO you put those foot-long stakes into the salt?
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 12:39:16 AM by Jack Gifford »
M/T Pontiac hemi guru
F/BFL 1-mile Loring record 2020