Author Topic: Push Start Area.....  (Read 10595 times)

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
Push Start Area.....
« on: July 31, 2006, 02:06:16 PM »
On the Speed Week Layout Map there is an area north of the pits and west of the track marked "Push Start Area".

Is that a place for cars and/or bikes that can't start any other way to be started so you can tune on them like you normally would do in the pits?

If this is true, once started can they be driven at all in that area??

Thanks,

Sum

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Push start area
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2006, 02:15:06 PM »
You know, Sum, I've seen that and wondered, too.  I'll go out on a limb here and take an EWAG -- the labelling of "Push start area" is a holdover from the olden days when it used to be an acceptable way of starting vehicles that had no other means of getting the engine running and wanted/needed to run in the pits.  I don't know how the running vehicle would proceed back to the pit (if my guess is right), so don't ask me that one.  Ask someone that's been around longer than me (which is, durn it, many).  I see quite a few vehicles being started with a starter-motor device that "plugs" into a flywheel or other input shaft, and bikes that are started on rollers, but I don't remember seeing anyone be push-started around the its.
  If my guess is right -- maybe your pointing it out will get that part of the map freshened one of these years.  Or maybe I'm all wrong and someone who knows the real answer will tell us.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
Push Start Area.....
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2006, 02:35:35 PM »
Rule book Page 11 1L , not a complete answer to your question but I think you can push your car back to the pits after start up as long as the driver is wearing proper gear and it's not moving under it's own power. Remember most race cars have limited visibility so don't just shove him into the pits. This being said I know the SCTA has been trying to cut back on the practice of push starting, in todays world to not have a starter is a sin.
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
Push Start Area.....
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2006, 03:15:21 PM »
Push Start Area

When I remember right is this a area east  (direction to Floating Island) of the last spectator stand, where teams can pratice push starts - for a new car or for rookies - so that everything goes right at the starting line.

Ten years ago, when we was the first time out, we done the same there.
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
Push Start Area.....
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2006, 04:00:34 PM »
Quote from: PorkPie
Push Start Area

When I remember right is this a area east  (direction to Floating Island) of the last spectator stand, where teams can practice push starts - for a new car or for rookies - so that everything goes right at the starting line.

Ten years ago, when we was the first time out, we done the same there.

Now that you mention it I think I do remember on one of the bike sites talking about practicing their starts down in that area.

If you are right I'll have your prize at "Salt Talks" :D , if you aren't right the prize will go to someone else  :cry: .  If you are partially right  you will have to decide how to split the prize 8) .

c ya, Sum

Offline jimmy six

Push Start Area.....
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2006, 05:23:56 PM »
Everyones kind of on the right track. The area west of the end of the pits and behind the last spectator area is for push starting vehicles which either can't by themselves or are having problems with their starters. Once the vehicle strarts running it must come out of gear and come to a stop. This is mandatory. No power is to be applied in any gear.  It the vehicle is still running and they want to go to thier pits it must be pushed by the push vehicle or towed on a tow bar. The race vehicle must remain in contact with the push vehicle.

The area is NOT for what Sumner said. If I follow it, you would drive away from a push vehicle which is definately not allowed. If someone is abusing the privilage of this area they can be shut down for a day or possibly sent home. It has happened before. I believe this has to do with the insurance. I believe they don't want any push start area.

I would ask a question concerning this at the drivers meeting on Saturday and this will give you the current ruling.....

Good Luck .J.D.
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
push stert area
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2006, 05:54:15 PM »
Insurance is the cause of not having a warm up area as we had several years ago. There is no man power to control it. There is no safety equipment availble for a warm up area. And yes there has been problems in the past. As JD stated above push start only and no driving of the vehicles under power
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

bak189

Push Start Area.....
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2006, 08:27:00 PM »
Just how in world do you return back to the pit after you push start your "Roadracing' bike?
You can't push it back with a car!!!  You can't ride it back!!!
You can, however, keep it running and walk back to the pits for a 1/2
a mile....right Glen!!
Hey, but then ....how do you get it to the push start area in the first place???????  walk it over...trailer it over....truck it over?  Blame it on insurance
(not true)

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
push start
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2006, 10:27:16 AM »
Seems to me 99 % have starters, roller starters or aux starters. And I don't make the rules but was on the board when it decided to make this rule. Guess you will have to deal with it BAK
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

bak189

Push Start Area.....
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2006, 11:27:35 AM »
You are right Glen....I had to deal with it....bought a set of rollers.
As I have stated in the past, you race SCTA/BNI you go by their rules.  However, one can see where at times...one wonders WHY...WHY..
Still, without SCTA/BNI I believe that there would be no landspeed racing in the U.S.....on the whole they have done a ourstanding job.

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
DIRTY DANCING
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2006, 12:45:40 PM »
All of you have a good understanding of the rule and even the workarounds.
The basis for the evolution of the rule is the lack of evolution among those entrusted
 with the responsibility to act responsibly from both sides.
The Speedweek event is too large to manage with such a diverse group of people going in all directions.
Insurance has a very clear definition of the competition area where a vehicle can be run .
 SCTA has chosen to not make that area suitably available so there it went.
For example, if I saw somebody holding a rock in the front of a tire smoking bike that was operated
by a less than suitably attired rider,
 I would help them along through tech when they were ready and say "See Ya after everybody has run for a day longer than you."
 I would hope that sit down time would give you pause to think about your contribution.
 If you have to have me do the thinking for you it can be rough. :wink:
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Re: Push Start Area.....
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2011, 06:43:55 AM »
In case you''re wondering why this really old topic is up on the list --0-- it's because there was a spambot post on here.  I nuked the thing - but the thread will still show as active for a little while.  It'll be gone by the end of the day.  Thanks.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2011, 10:10:15 AM »
I'm glad you reposted it even for a day. Some may be thinking on what the procedure was and since it's a 2006 thread it will bring it back into something to remember...............JD
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline sabat

« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2011, 11:29:24 AM »
Wow, a thread by Sumner, a post by JackD... I'm a little confused  :-D

Offline dw230

« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2011, 12:20:02 PM »
In 2006 they were still here.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth