Author Topic: Fuel system questions.  (Read 4662 times)

Offline lsrjunkie

Fuel system questions.
« on: July 23, 2014, 01:14:45 PM »
Things are moving froward with ole Hank and I had one question that I'm pretty sure I already know the answer to.

Section 3.I says in the second sentence, "Plastic fuel lines are not permitted."

My fuel cell and filler setup came from Jaz. The filler cap is a really neat recessed piece, but the hose from it to the tank is a translucent plastic looking material. I'm assuming that I need to trash that hose and replace it with rubber. Any input?

My other question, I'm not too sure about.

I plan on mounting the fuel cell under the car behind the rear differential.

Section 3.I in the seventh or eighth sentence says, "All fuel tanks should be isolated from the drivers compartment..."

Well, to get my car as low as I would like, the rear coil overs come through the floor of the car. So my logic says if the fuel tank is back there and there's two holes in the floor then the tank is not isolated from the drivers compartment. Keep in mind this is a 1951 Henry J, and it has no separate trunk like most other cars.

I'm thinking I wold need to build some sort of cover to keep any fiery unhappiness from reaching me, such as a steel cover, or a fireproof sock around each coil over. Again, any input would be greatly appreciated.

And one last fuel system question.

If I have an electric fuel pump, I know I need an inertia switch, and a separate on/off switch. The thing I am trying to decipher is if a mechanical shut off is required as well.
Maybe there is no Heaven. Or maybe this is all pure gibberish. The product of a demented hill billy who has found a way to live out where the winds blow. To sleep late, have fun, drink whiskey, and drive fast on empty streets with nothing in mind except falling in love or getting arrested.    H.S. Thompson

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
Re: Fuel system questions.
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2014, 02:32:52 PM »
Can you add a rear fire wall to isolate that area.?
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2014, 02:38:38 PM »
Can you add a rear fire wall to isolate that area.?

Yep that is a good idea  :cheers: :cheers: and what Hooley did to the Stude,

Sum

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2014, 03:23:04 PM »
Possibly, but I think it would be quite a bit easier to build some sort of removable cover for the coil overs.

I'd like to keep that area open so I can add weight back there, as it would be awfully hard to put counterweights in through the back window.
Maybe there is no Heaven. Or maybe this is all pure gibberish. The product of a demented hill billy who has found a way to live out where the winds blow. To sleep late, have fun, drink whiskey, and drive fast on empty streets with nothing in mind except falling in love or getting arrested.    H.S. Thompson

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2014, 04:10:42 PM »
You don't need to weld in the back firewall.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2014, 07:37:19 PM »
..I'd like to keep that area open so I can add weight back there, as it would be awfully hard to put counterweights in through the back window.

Here are a few pictures of Hooley's car...

Lots of weight in different areas under the car and in the large pockets just in front of the rear wheel tubs (behind the seat area). 

Inside view of the rear firewall and ....

... another with the seat removed with the new mid-back seat brace now required.

Hooley put in a lot of work with this rear firewall but it has definite advantages safety wise and otherwise,

Sum

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2014, 12:58:16 AM »
Section 3.I says in the second sentence, "Plastic fuel lines are not permitted."

My fuel cell and filler setup came from Jaz. The filler cap is a really neat recessed piece, but the hose from it to the tank is a translucent plastic looking material. I'm assuming that I need to trash that hose and replace it with rubber. Any input?

What you're describing sounds like the filler neck. So long as its isolated away from the drivers compartment then I'd say its okay to use. The idea is no plastic fuel lines that will be under pressure and near the hot engine. That'd obviously be a bad combo. A clear tube filler neck isn't really the same thing.

My other question, I'm not too sure about.

I plan on mounting the fuel cell under the car behind the rear differential.

Section 3.I in the seventh or eighth sentence says, "All fuel tanks should be isolated from the drivers compartment..."

I'm thinking I wold need to build some sort of cover to keep any fiery unhappiness from reaching me, such as a steel cover, or a fireproof sock around each coil over. Again, any input would be greatly appreciated.

Yes, needs to be completely isolated as others have mentioned. Remember also that the drivers compartment isn't supposed to be open to the lower rear either. A firewall may be the best solution.

And one last fuel system question.

If I have an electric fuel pump, I know I need an inertia switch, and a separate on/off switch. The thing I am trying to decipher is if a mechanical shut off is required as well.

No mechanical shut off required for electric fuel pumps.
El Mirage 200 MPH Club Member

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2014, 11:00:14 AM »
If you have a roll- over check valve in the tank inlet, there should not be any fuel in the filler pipe, even upside down.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2014, 12:08:47 PM »
Nate, Thank you! That is exactly the info I was hoping for. The part in question is the filler neck. I will submit an email to the proper tech official for clarification.

Sum, Thanks for the pictures. It's pretty crazy, but the underside of my car and Hooley's look very similar. I had never thought about putting weight in those areas.

I'm going to look into the rear firewall idea a little further.

Neil, I understand the rule to read that the vent needs a roll over valve, not the filler neck. Or do the both need one?

Thanks again guys!

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2014, 12:26:47 PM »
I'm not sure a roll-over check valve in the filler neck is required by the rule book but it is a good idea to have one. My FuelSafe cell has one in both places.

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2014, 05:55:23 PM »
I definitely agree with you there! Fuel running out of a smoldering race car is never a good thing. Here's to hoping that Hank never becomes that, but an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure!