Author Topic: 2014 SW Impound info  (Read 16782 times)

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
Re: 2014 SW Impound info
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2014, 12:28:45 AM »
Hi, Dan -

I'm very close on the upper limit in engine capacity in my class.  Pumping may or may nor verify the engine size.

I've drilled the block and a head stud to wire them for a seal.

If the seal is present, and I'm close enough to the maximum to require a take-off of the head, do I have to do so immediately after the first back-up run?  Can this instead be done after one is done for the week, provided the seal is undisturbed?

It would be preferable to not have to tear the head off until the week's competing is finished.

And yes, I understand that if something were to happen to the engine before the competition was concluded, and the SCTA was unable to verify the engine displacement, all would be lost.

I wish I could just give everyone a record but, it does not work that way.

And what fun would that be?

Dan, thanks.

I'll see you in impound - might even bring the Midget.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline desperate

• www.britchopper.co.uk
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2014, 07:14:36 AM »
Thank you for that highly informative piece. Really useful for a first timer.

Regards

Peter
Thanks Dan, that really was good information. I copied it, pasted it on a "Word" document, & printed it so I can bring it with me.
I have one question. I'm going after a record, do I have to inform anyone of my intention, or do I simply check my timing slip & take it & the bike to Impound?
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 07:39:21 AM by desperate »
Don't push me, I'm close to the edge.

Offline Finallygotit

« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2014, 10:21:07 AM »
Subscribed
Dan
Tucson, AZ

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2014, 10:59:11 AM »
...I've drilled the block and a head stud to wire them for a seal.

If the seal is present, and I'm close enough to the maximum to require a take-off of the head, do I have to do so immediately after the first back-up run?  Can this instead be done after one is done for the week, provided the seal is undisturbed?

It would be preferable to not have to tear the head off until the week's competing is finished.....

I'll be interested in the answer but my thought is.....let's say I'm running the same class and you qualify and back-up a record run but haven't had the engine passed at that point and want to keep running.  Is it them assumed by myself and SCTA that is the new record? 

What if I run over the existing record after you but less than you ran and then have the car/engine certified.  Do I have a record and can go home or do I have to wait until later in the week to see if you passed?

I realize you might not have anyone else in your class, but that isn't always the case.  When Ruth and I helped Sparky when he got in the 300 mph club Seth ran just behind us and there was a good chance he was going to run faster.  If that would of happened Sparky would of still had his 'hat' even though both records went in the book the same day.  As it happened I think Seth ran faster the next day.

I'd say get the record, have it certified, seal the motor and then keep running and you won't have to teardown again, but DW will have the final say on this  :-D,

Sum

Offline dw230

« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2014, 12:24:45 PM »
OK,

Glen,
If there is a problem making the 1 hour Impound time have someone come inform me while the problem is being resolved. It is best to do this before arriving in the Impound late.

Chris,
You can seal the engine after setting the record and before measurement. Your record will not be valid until certified and anyone running the class qualifies on the old record. You will have all the paperwork in your possession. Even if we cut the meet short(I will not say rain out) bring the car to Impound so we can take the head off for direct measurement.

Peter,
You do not have to tell anyone of your record intentions. Follow all the rules, check your time slip and come to Impound.

Sum,
No the sealed engine cannot hold a record. The engine MUST be certified to become the new record holder. If someone in your class does qualify and set and certify a record slower than the sealed record that entry becomes the new class standard. The original(sealed) record will have to requalify on the new record. This is because the original did not qualify on the class record speed.

DW
The fastest(certified) in class at the end of the event becomes the class bar setter.
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2014, 06:10:14 PM »
So, with all this talk of "sealing an engine", what exactly is done to seal it?
Maybe there is no Heaven. Or maybe this is all pure gibberish. The product of a demented hill billy who has found a way to live out where the winds blow. To sleep late, have fun, drink whiskey, and drive fast on empty streets with nothing in mind except falling in love or getting arrested.    H.S. Thompson

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2014, 06:41:38 PM »
Sum,
No the sealed engine cannot hold a record. The engine MUST be certified to become the new record holder. If someone in your class does qualify and set and certify a record slower than the sealed record that entry becomes the new class standard. The original(sealed) record will have to requalify on the new record. This is because the original did not qualify on the class record speed.

Thanks for the update and also the general impound data.

I guess I didn't word my other response correctly.  Let me see if I get this.

I was trying to say that if Chris qualifies for a record, backs it up and then, right then, has the motor certified that he would have the record and could have the motor sealed and not have to tear it down again if he went out and set the record higher during the meet.

Is that correct?

Also it sounds like if he is sure no one else is running his class at the meet if he qualified and backed it up he could have the motor sealed and torn down (if it didn't blow) latter during the meet.  But doing this  he is taking a chance if someone else is running and also sets a record before it is torn down??

Thanks for bearing with me on this,

Sum

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2014, 07:37:03 PM »
Okay - this all makes sense from an integrity standpoint.

I'll bring a spare head gasket.

Scenario 2.

A qualifying run is made.  It is backed up.  The engine goes through a tear-down, and is certified as being in compliance.  The engine is then reassembled and sealed.

I trust there is no further capacity certification necessary to run and possibly bump the record during the meet, provided the seal remains unbroken?

And -

I imagine a wire tie sealing with some sort of embossed metal stamp is provided by SCTA? 

Have you got photo examples of an engine seal and how they're typically installed?

Thanks again, Dan.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline RichFox

« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2014, 08:31:12 PM »
My engines have always been sealed by running the seal wire through a pan bolt or between two drilled pan bolts. Any way so that you could not remove the pan without breaking the seal.

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2014, 08:59:43 PM »
Mine have been thru two front cover bolts.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline BobDcuda

« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2014, 10:50:32 PM »
To seal an engine, someone from Tech threads a wire through a hole in your head/block/pan, and then they press on a lead seal (like a ferrule) with some numbers/letters with engine class code I think.  That's done after they confirm your displacement.

Jessechop

« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2014, 11:04:46 AM »
Just a curious question I have about inspection.

Is it common to find that motors don't meet the rules? Just wondering if it is a 1 out of 100, or 1 out of 5 sort of deal.

Offline MRK

« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2014, 12:19:11 PM »
To seal an engine, someone from Tech threads a wire through a hole in your head/block/pan, and then they press on a lead seal (like a ferrule) with some numbers/letters with engine class code I think.  That's done after they confirm your displacement.

When we seal an engine in impound, it will get the lead seal with the letters "SCTA" stamped into it as well as "charm" that designates the engine class.
"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting." Steve McQueen

Offline dw230

« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2014, 01:03:13 PM »
Sum & Chris,
Yes and Yes

Jesse,
Only remember one that failed displacement check. It was a Ford bought from a bone yard and the entrant was told it was X displacement. Tuned out it was too large for the class entered because you cannot tell one displacement from another from the outside of some Ford products.

Mike,
Thanks for the explanation.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline jacksoni

« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2014, 01:18:35 PM »
When I had 4 valve engine with center plug, Dan, with a tricky device (read tool he could put in hole to measure bore and stroke) was able to certify engine. More recently with 2 valve, have pumped it and though also, as Chris is, close to the upper limit, it always pumped legal. Hope that holds still if I make it to impound where I expect to see the Midget. :)
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019