Author Topic: Parking at lands end  (Read 11261 times)

Offline ratpatrol66

Re: Parking at lands end
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2014, 12:10:39 AM »
 :-o What happened to the kind gentle Freud. That was just to funny Freud.  :cheers:

velocity

« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2014, 01:34:54 AM »
see. . . Bonneville is still a hostile place. . ., just ask the Donner Party.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2014, 05:52:30 AM »
I thought living in Africa was tough??????????.
Freud, you just put me off.

I'll turn the canoe around. :-D

Offline beck

• New folks
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2014, 11:21:42 AM »
Freud, your killing me!!

But your right. Getting there is the hard part. You will figure out the rest after your there. Folks there are a friendly lot. Need something? Just ask. Want shade? We will share ours. Thursty? Help yourself to anything in the cooler. Forgot your sunscreen? Here use some of mine. Want my wife? Will you please take her home with you!
Spectating isn't hard.
Running a car gets harder.
Setting a record steps it up.
Getting a red hat is much more difficult.
I have no idea what going for a blue hat is like.   

No, I don't drive. Our driver wears red. (That makes me a wanna-be. I wanna-be in a red hat too.)
I don't think much about what to take along any more. You will survive just fine with the basics.

Offline landsendlynda

« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2014, 03:51:42 PM »
Guess I'd better step in here with some directions, do's and don'ts!!!  There is VERY limited space at Land's End this year....well, actually, every year! Our entrance lanes are moving out onto the salt if weather ( read that as water puddles on the ramp) allows.  I have to have parking available for the tourists that are not going out to watch the races, so that's why I keep the North side coned off.  The guys are right about hitching a ride at the Bend and hitching a ride back from the salt.  Everybody looks out for everybody!!  You'd almost think it was Christmas the way the Goodwill gets spread around!!

Remember, Tech starts on the 7th, that's Thursday!!, so don't come out on Wednesday and ask if you can just, "Drop my trailer in the Pit and come right back out!"  If you are not one of the volunteers on my list, you're going to get told NO!!  It's the same every year, no change, a constant. So, let me repeat that:
IF YOU ARE NOT ON THE VOLUNTEER LIST YOU CAN NOT GO OUT ON THE SALT UNTIL THURSDAY!!

I'm trying to borrow an ATV so that I can pull you racers out of the line on Saturday, Sunday, and Monday.  I know the line is long and you hate the wait.  I also know that all of you have the driver's meeting to go to!  Please remember, the road doesn't get any wider just because we're racing so my space is limited.  I'll get you out there as quickly as I can but I do need your cooperation as well. There HAS to be an exit lane so you can't clog up both lanes thinking it will be faster.  Be patient, allow me to pull you out of the line when it is safe for you to travel the exit lane.  You all know your business of racing and you trust your crew...Traffic control is My business, so trust me and let me do my job.  Remember, your safety is my first priority and I'll keep you safe at Land's End whether you like it or not!!
 Each one of you is special and important to me and so are your dreams, so like I always say....."I am your dreamcatcher, I'll keep your safe going onto the salt so that you can chase your dreams on the salt."
I'll be seeing all of you soon!!
Stay Safe, Stay Upright, Go Fast!
Lynda

Volunteer roadblock at Land's End! Yes, you need your stinkin badge! I'm your Dream Keeper, I protect your dream on the asphalt so you can chase your dream on the salt!

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2014, 04:26:00 PM »
One other reason is that a safety lane has to be open at all times for Ambulance and Fire. Oh and the speed on the road in is 45 MPH and they do run radar and write tickets.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Online Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2014, 04:42:01 PM »
I'll second what Glen just said about the PO-lice.  They do check speeds of vehicles - going in both directions, too.  And they have been known to be out there early in the morning as well as during the day and late into the evening.  The road is posted as 45 MPH - and the easy way to avoid getting stopped for speeding is to drive at 45 or less.  Set your cruise control - and leave  early enough that you don't need to hurry to get where you're going.  Leave your racing speeds on the salt. :cheers: :cheers:

PS: A little side note:  A couple of years ago one of the officials was heading out to the salt and got stopped for speeding - something like 60 in the 45 - and was ticketed.  Being one of the "bosses" didn't prevent him from getting nabbed, so don't expect that you'll get away with it, either.

PPS:  I don't know for sure if good-looking girls wearing low cut tops are exempt from the speed laws, so feel free to give it a try, ladies, and please  report back (in person if at all possible). :evil: :evil:
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2014, 05:22:06 PM »
Slim, I must say, I cannot find fault with your research techniques.  :cheers:
Maybe there is no Heaven. Or maybe this is all pure gibberish. The product of a demented hill billy who has found a way to live out where the winds blow. To sleep late, have fun, drink whiskey, and drive fast on empty streets with nothing in mind except falling in love or getting arrested.    H.S. Thompson

Offline thundersalt

• www.americanrvservicecenter.com
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2014, 06:05:15 PM »
One other reason is that a safety lane has to be open at all times for Ambulance and Fire. Oh and the speed on the road in is 45 MPH and they do run radar and write tickets.
And they do breathalyzer test also. I know from experience :-o (probably to only guy to fail and still get off, not even a speeding ticket)
916 REMR
2017 AA/FRMR Bonneville Record holder 234.663
2018 AA/GRMR El Mirage Record holder 223.108
2020 AA/BGRMR Bonneville Record holder 252.438
2021 AA/BGRMR Bonneville Record holder 262.685
El Mirage 200 MPH Club
Drivers/Owners: Brian & Celia Dean