Author Topic: Copper Sheet Sources  (Read 3100 times)

Offline jlmccuan

• Rabid Snail Racing
Copper Sheet Sources
« on: July 20, 2014, 05:05:20 PM »
I need a good source for dead soft copper sheet.  Does anyone connected with LSR sell it?  I like to support the hobby with the little money I have.
Rabid Snail Racing

Offline Tman

Re: Copper Sheet Sources
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2014, 05:46:33 PM »
I have purchased some at roofing supply houses. Might not be exactly what you are after however.

Offline John Burk

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2014, 07:35:30 PM »
McMaster Carr . If it's not soft when you get it it's easy to annealed .

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2014, 12:43:21 AM »
Copper sheet is used around here for roofing related tasks.  I order it by the roll.  Go onto the i-net and type in "copper sheet."  Several suppliers will have sites.  There is an outfit in Kentucky that had the best prices the last time I ordered a bunch of rolls.   

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2014, 02:04:53 AM »
How much do you need? I've got a left-over 3' x 4' piece of dead-soft .022" thick copper sheet (flat, not rolled). I don't remember where I bought it- probably Ontario Metal in Rochester. I'm in New York State, and have no idea of best way to ship it, nor the cost. I'd probably never use it (quit making my own gaskets), so wouldn't need much money for it. If you could use them, I've got a punch & die I made for cylinder holes (engine bore was 3.965", so punch is probably 4.000"- need to measure it)- could make you a good deal on it.
M/T Pontiac hemi guru
F/BFL 1-mile Loring record 2020

Offline jlmccuan

• Rabid Snail Racing
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2014, 07:11:51 PM »
Thanks, Jack.  I use 0.020" (and others) for head gaskets and 0.043" for exhaust gaskets.  I use a small CNC mill to cut them so I can do custom stuff bore matched to each engine.  I'm building dies now to emboss the rib on exhaust gaskets for a better seal.  I tried SPIF and it worked, but I need to spend a lot of time perfecting that process before selling them that way.  Shoot me a price on the copper you've got if you'd like to move it.
Rabid Snail Racing