Author Topic: Intake air cooler (intercooler) for Naturally Aspirated car  (Read 10085 times)

Offline metermatch

Has anyone tried installing an intercooler on a naturally aspirated engine to lower the intake air temperature?

Yes, I am aware that trying to cool ambient temp air with ambient temp air won't work too well.

The idea being putting the intercooler in a box in something cold, such as ice, dry ice, or even liquid nitrogen, to cool the air.

I kind of figured a typical intercooler as used on a turbo car would have too much air restriction, and negate the advantage of the cool air.

How cold can/do you want to make the intake air?  I understand nitrous when vaporized can drop to -70 degrees.

Would this be legal on a production car? (not the nitrous)

Is dry ice or liquid nitrogen legal?

Thanks,

Jeff

Offline Crackerman

Re: Intake air cooler (intercooler) for Naturally Aspirated car
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2014, 12:17:37 PM »
Pulling it through an intercooler would be a massive restriction.
If it is carbeurated, then the evaporative cooling ofthe fuel will help more than cool air.

A while back i saw an air cooler built into an intake tube. A high pressure co2 line in one side, through a restriction and expansion bulb, the exhaust out the other. They say it dropped iat's by almost 70dg and gained a lot more consistency out of it. Without the restiction of fins.

Offline jacksoni

Re: Intake air cooler (intercooler) for Naturally Aspirated car
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2014, 02:34:37 PM »
Dang, just erased long post...

Yes, I have done it and am convinced it works. Low pressured drop intercooler that I run ice water through. From what ever under hood air might be on 95* day plus engine heat to 55-60* gong into engine. Possibility of ram air to help the pressure drop or even add a bit. Have seen CO2 expansion kits but requires bottles and I have no clue how long might last in an LSr setting. Gary Eaker in late '80s ran nearly 300mph in Firebird with nitrous cooling his intercoolers. Did have to run in Fuel class though even with none going through engine. Liquid nitrogen might be tough to engineer, contain etc and may be classed as hazardous by inspectors. Remember no flammable liquids in drivers compartment so methanol/dry ice (has been used) as cooling agent would be no no unless isolated. The intercooler I use supposedly can flow enough for 6-700 hp and my small engine is maybe 300 on good day so not much pressure drop. One time I tried to test was in range of 3-5KPa (atmospheric sea level about 100). I use one of these and I think they market the CO2 total loss things also.  http://www.frozenboost.com/

If you want more details of what I did let me know.
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019