Author Topic: motorcycle tires  (Read 1748 times)

Offline gman7

motorcycle tires
« on: July 18, 2014, 06:37:38 PM »
I like to get some opinions on rear tires for the salt: obviously they have to be rated for the speed you are going, are there any advantages of radial, bias, slick or bobby threaded tires for the salt?

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Re: motorcycle tires
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2014, 09:29:39 PM »
No big deal - radial or bias - from my experience.  Slick versus treaded?  Again, no big deal, although the less distinct tread patterns will be a bit less likely to heat up excessively - I think.

But first of all -- your tires are not just to the speed you'll be running, but to the speed of the record in the class you're going to run.  If your bike will only go 130 but you're running it in a class where the record is 205 -- you'll need tires that'll meet the 205 number, not the 130.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline gman7

Re: motorcycle tires
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2014, 09:56:28 PM »
No big deal - radial or bias - from my experience.  Slick versus treaded?  Again, no big deal, although the less distinct tread patterns will be a bit less likely to heat up excessively - I think.

But first of all -- your tires are not just to the speed you'll be running, but to the speed of the record in the class you're going to run.  If your bike will only go 130 but you're running it in a class where the record is 205 -- you'll need tires that'll meet the 205 number, not the 130.

Got it Jon, thanks