Author Topic: SPEED DEMON Book - VERY limited print run  (Read 37494 times)

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
Re: SPEED DEMON Book - VERY limited print run
« Reply #60 on: September 19, 2014, 03:31:41 PM »
I can't wait to get mine!!
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #61 on: September 19, 2014, 04:36:49 PM »
In re: the Speed Demon crash --

No, George wasn't fine.  I noticed a couple of very light black-and-blue bruises on his arms as he sat at the autograph table, signing zillions of Speed Demon "hero cards" (as the cards showing whatever race car and driver and the basic statistics). :roll:  Unfortunately I didn't get any.  I wanted one for our collection and one to auction off on landracing.com's Forum -- but the waiting line was too long and I had to get back to the tower to continue the streaming.

But was George okay?  Well, if he could hang around and joke and smile and sign and even shake hands -- pretty danged good is my official diagnosis.

More power to him, the car, the crew, and especially the safety workers.  I've seen them chase down all sorts of vehicles - and the effort the expended to get to George was amazing.  by the way -- the nearest course watcher reported that George was out of the car and walking before Kirk and the rest of the safety/fire folks got there. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline desotoman

« Reply #62 on: September 19, 2014, 05:29:19 PM »

I must agree with his sister, Betty Howard's astute, almost resigned observation, "If the salt doesn't get better, we may not ever get to see another car be able to run over 400 a dozen times in one season."  Not sad, or happy, just a realistic comment about current conditions. Who, that has any understanding of this sport, could disagree with her?

With all due Respect, I must disagree with both of you. Just a few days before at the World of Speed, Danny Thompson ran a 419.703 MPH 5th mile, with a 424.858 MPH exit. I can see that car along with some other new 4 wheel drive cars being able to run over 400 a dozen times in one season if the salt stays in the same condition it is.

Respectfully,

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

velocity

« Reply #63 on: September 19, 2014, 05:57:48 PM »
Tom

For the sake of the entire sport of land speed racing let's hope your perspective is the correct one.

Mine is based on not only observation, but analysis of volumes of current scientific data as well as two banker boxes full of historical data and that doesn't included the dozens of phone interviews with USGS geologists, hydrologists, BLM staff, numerous Utah Mining company officials and tech folks, etc.

It's not that I am being negative, it is merely the avalanche of criteria and daunting data that I am leery of.

One plus 400 run is marvelous, but knocking out repeated plus fours and stitching them together in an hour is a monumental task made especially difficult given the condition of the salt. There were several telling points in the Poteet crash video but I will not comment on this until I have had a nice long talk with George and company.

To all reading this -- PLEASE -- let's stick with this thread's main purpose: the distribution of the Demon's Dozen limited print run book. Perhaps the points raised by Tom would be better suited for the thread entitled "Speed Demon crash video"  
« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 06:00:17 PM by velocity »

Offline edinlr

« Reply #64 on: September 20, 2014, 12:29:47 AM »
Slim, I misspoke re: George not being injured in the crash.  I should have said not seriously injured or killed.  It is hard to imagine a problem at that speed that would be anything less than disastrous.  George, please heal fast and get back out there so Louise can write some new books with more chapters.  I am looking forward to "Speed Demon Strikes Back".
Honda CX650 turbo, Kawasaki H2 Ninja, Kawasaki ZX750 turbo

velocity

« Reply #65 on: September 21, 2014, 01:07:41 AM »
I mentioned the Speed Demon Strikes Back "sequel" idea to George today, and he laughed a good, full belly laugh!

Offline garys speed shop

« Reply #66 on: September 21, 2014, 08:55:34 AM »
I received my 6 copies that I ordered for my guys on our race team. it's nice to have the names to go with the faces we have seen for the last several years. Unfortunately about the time we opened the box we heard about George's accident. Glad to hear he's ok. Thanks for the great job on putting the book to gather. With only a few copies available you don't want to miss getting one.

gkabbt

« Reply #67 on: September 21, 2014, 09:39:00 AM »
With only a few copies available you don't want to miss getting one.

I agree Gary, REALLY good book!

Thank you Louise for putting this together!

Gregg

Offline islerodreaming

• New folks
« Reply #68 on: September 30, 2014, 04:28:34 AM »
The book finally jumped out of the mail box today.  Very nicely done!!

Thanks again Louise.

John

Offline stay`tee

• "Kawasaki ZX12 Turbocharged"
« Reply #69 on: October 04, 2014, 07:58:04 AM »
i had the pleasure of crewing for Richard Assen while riding his turbocharged Hayabusa at the Shootout in 2011,, we were returning back to the pits when it was annouced that the Speed Demon was about to make a pass,, with the salt on lockdown everone has to immediatly stop where thay are, for us this happened to be adjacent to the timed mile, we had a grandstand seat as the Demon passed at 400+mph, what an experience, i have goose bumps sitting here rembering that car silently go past with the noise following a cuppla hundred yards behind,,,
recieved my copy of "Demons Dozen" this week, took exactily one month USA to Australia,, have just finished reading, and wish to thank Louise for her work, putting into words, what i witnessed in 2011, possible,, :cheers:
First Australian to ride a motorcycle over 200mph at Bonneville,,,

velocity

« Reply #70 on: October 06, 2014, 04:37:13 PM »
From Jim Kerr, of Jim Kerr & Associates, a rep agency formed in 1967 that he owned and operated, serving with Hurst Performance and representing the likes of Mr. Gasket, Lakewood, Hooker and Eelco. Jim is also a SEMA Hall of Fame inductee:

Hi Louise

Thanks for autographing my book. Couldn’t put it down until I had finished it entirely. I ‘m glad George is well

I love the idea of a Demon Strikes Back book.

Hope to see you at SEMA,

Jim Kerr

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #71 on: October 06, 2014, 06:22:48 PM »
Might this thread be better located under "For Sale by Small Businesses" or For Sale by Private(?) Parties?
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

velocity

« Reply #72 on: October 08, 2014, 05:56:42 PM »
This is not a business, but a generous underwriting by George Poteet. This limited-time project is in response to a great number of inquiries from land speed racers and enthusiasts about obtaining a copy of what was strictly developed as Mr. Poteet's gift to his team mates who helped carry him beyond 400MPH a dozen times in the 2012 racing season. In view of the disastrous tumble Speed Demon and Mr. Poteet experienced last month, I believe this thread is properly place. I would defer to the website owner for any changes he thought necessary. 

velocity

« Reply #73 on: October 20, 2014, 05:45:24 PM »
Speedy People. . .

All of the folks who ordered a copy of "Demon's Dozen" have been shipped. Because there are land speed racing enthusiasts who may not participate in this forum, I will next be offering the book to interested parties through eBay beginning October 25th. If it has slipped your mind, get in touch with me via a personal message before that date for reserve a copy before the remaining copies  are offered to the general public.

A hearty "THANK YOU" to those who supported the story being shared in wider circles.

Speed Demon was a most amazing car made possible by the combined talents of a dedicated few.

We will never know who derived more pleasure from its existence: George Poteet who got to drive it, the team that delivered the ride to the starting line, or those of us who watched it all unfold.

It was all good.

Offline Cameradude

« Reply #74 on: October 20, 2014, 07:42:14 PM »
Nicely Done Louise...

Thanks for all you do.

Larry
Go fast, be safe, drive it like you stole it. Love life, your friends and the USA.