Author Topic: Streamlining behind the cowl  (Read 2249 times)

Offline xxobuick

Streamlining behind the cowl
« on: July 17, 2014, 03:00:14 PM »
Ok, so in Competition coupe class let say.  Streamlining ahead of the cowl is unlimited.  But behind the cowl you can remove door handles, trim, etc.  Fenders can be removed off of vintage cars, spoilers can be added as well as wings.  Now I have a couple of questions.  

On the spoiler can you add more than two verticals?  Meaning you essentially have two verticals on each side of the spoiler.  Is it legal to have more than the two?  Say two in the center also?

Here is what I found on Google to describe what I am talking about:

I was told by officials that to look at examples of other cars that are competing and hold records to see whats legal.  So after searching on the web, found some photos for reference.

The following picture looks like there is streamlining behind the cowl.  Am I looking at this correctly that the area under the parachute is some sort of streamlining?

I am not here to discredit any of the cars shown, but rather looking for ideas on legality our own comp coupe car.

I will officially send in these same questions to the officials once I get to that point, just trying to see if there is something obvious I am overlooking.  Thanks guys.

Offline WZ JUNK

Re: Streamlining behind the cowl
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2014, 08:28:00 AM »
You may occasionally see an exception to a rule.  Sometimes things get overlooked, and sometimes a car is not protested when it is in violation of a rule.  Usually this happens when there is no established record, and there is no one to guard and existing record.  If you are planning to do something that is borderline, you should determine if what you are doing will benefit you enough that it is worth the chance.  You could also mock up what you are planning, take a picture, and send to a rules person, and get a yes or no on the change.  If you do this,  keep a copy of the correspondence in your records.  Do not base you decision on someone's unofficial ruling, an existing car that is running, or someone opinion the ran a car in your class in the past.   Keep in mind that just because a car has passed tech, and is presently running on a record in a certain class, it does not mean that the car is legal to hold a record in that class. 

I have been involved in more than one interpretation of the rules.  It is much easier to work out any possible problems before you show up to run at event.  Spending your time at an event trying to make a race car legal is not much fun.  However innovation is what land speed racing is all about.  Thinking, and take advantage of the loopholes, may result in that little bit of speed that others have not been able to get.  You have to balance that fine line, to be legal, and to run fast.

John
Crew chief #974 B/BGCC 1953 Studebaker Past Bonneville record holder.